Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Suggestion for new planter

bill_ri_z6b
13 years ago

My front yard is a mess right now...........dug up and waiting for the cement foundations to be poured. New wall, steps and a planter at the corner. I would like a small tree (12-15 feet max) with a narrow habit rather than spreading a lot. It MUST be a flowering tree, though not necessarily in spring, since there's so much in bloom then anyway. Last on the wish list.......evergreen foliage, but NOT a conifer. I know this will be a small list (if any!) but just wondering. I'm considering a crape myrtle for all the reasons above except for being evergreen here, but otherwise it should be nice. Also considered Laburnum......not to tall, upright and nice yellow "chains" in spring. Although not evergreen, the trunk and branches are green all year. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks

Comments (15)

• kpaquette
    13 years ago

Not evergreen, but Stewartia is narrow and flowering.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

If you want 12'-15' max, perhaps you should think about a shrub, not a tree. There are quite a few in that height range. One that fits your requirements in height and narrow width is enkianthus. It flowers in spring, altho the flowers are small and it is not evergreen. But it's a great plant not used enough--no pests or diseases or fussing over.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Ginny, I have had (and seen elsewhere) shrubs trained as trees. My lilac is like that, and I've also had ligustrum that I kept trimmed as a small tree. So a shrub is definitely a possibility. My camellias would be great but they don't get quite big enough. The reason I want a tree (or a shrub kept in tree form) rather than a shrub is that this planter will be in the front corner of the yard at the street and driveway, so I don't want to hide the house with a big shrub. One of the reasons I don't want a conifer.

• Monique z6a CT
    13 years ago

Heptacodium miconioides (large shrub/smaller tree) that is not evergreen but has nice bark if exposed. White fragrant flowers in late summer followed by red calyces. You can limb it up into a single trunk or create a multi-trunked upright tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heptacodium GW thread

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I'd second Heptacodium, Stewartia and Crape myrtle, and add Franklinea altamaha, which has lovely foliage, good fall color, and excellent form.

Of course one of the evergreen magnolias would fit your description (evergreen) better, and many would be hardy in your area. They're stunning if grown well; I don't have any and can't comment on cultivars, but there is certainly a lot of information on the magnoliasociety.org web site.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DTD,

I have an evergreen magnolia (Bracken's Brown Beauty) which is doing fine, but it will get too big for where I want it. And I don't think they can be pruned too much. I know you can prune a little to make them denser, but overall you have to let them grow out. Thanks for the idea though!

Bill

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

your spot is really an important one- you are going to see it all the time, so it is important that the tree have multi-season appeal.i completely agree w/ the heptacodium idea.they can stay narrow and w/in your height goal; their handsome shreddy whitish bark trunks give 4 season interest.white flowers and pink calyxes give them 1-2 months' flowering value. a smaller species of stewartia would also be terrific.very handsome splotched bark and white camelia like flowers in june. crepe myrtle- more wonderful bark.franklinia too big for this spot.

personally, i think enkianthus are not handsomely shaped and their tiny bell flowers are too delicate for a key position.they would be good in a mixed border where their weaknesses can be countered by other companions.

i also don't think a labernum or a golden rain tree is handsome enough in form or foliage to be made a focal point.Halesia u.conn wedding bells is narrow, beautiful in flower and good for your size, but does not have the bark advantage of the others.

do tell us what you ultimately pick!
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Lots of good ideas, and I do love heptacodium.

Another (sorry, non-evergreen) option: Japanese Styrax. Although it is spring-flowering, I think mine blooms later than the giant rush of amazing spring-flowering trees. In fact, it just bloomed for the past two weeks (and this was an oddly-early-blooming year for everything here). So it does help to extend the tree-blooming timeframe somewhat. And its dangling/pendulous flowers are so sweet!

Happy shopping!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

My Styrax japonicus is at least 25' across, as wide as tall, and "wants" to have branches all the way to the ground, even if it's somewhat limbed up. There may be a narrower type, mine was a volunteer from a fellow gardener's yard.

Franklinea can in theory get up to 30' but MOBOT says height: 10 to 20', spread: 6 to 15' and I've never seen one larger than that (or even that size).

I agree that Laburnum isn't quite nice enough for this spot, but it does have the right shape, with most of the foliage well off the ground.

There's so much in flower in early spring that I'd go for something that blooms much later - or maybe this is a good place for a witch hazel; it would certainly brighten up the whole neighborhood to have flowers in February or March at the street. They vary quite a bit in size and shape, but are mainly vase-shaped which could work for you.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

i agree with dtd about the beautiful but too-wide styrax.
    best,
    mindy

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Oh no! My styrax is only 3 years in the ground here, but nowhere near that size yet....I might need to pick another location....I must have misread the info on this tree! Oh well, it won't be the first thing moved here!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Maybe you have a more upright cultivar? If not, look out!

Mine is not only sprawling, it drops a lot of seedlings. Not that I mind, it's a beautiful tree. Nice foliage and form carry it through even when not in bloom. And I appreciate that it blooms a little later than the cherries etc.

I DO wish I'd known more about it before I planted it, because for the first 10 years or so it was very well behaved, and I planted some nice things around it which have since been swallowed by the Styrax.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

"...mine was a volunteer from a fellow gardener's yard..."

DTD, you didn't get your's from George, did you? If so, "Oh no!" is right, lol! That's where mine came from, and no way was I expecting a 25 foot wide tree. I think I need to e-mail George, lol, and perhaps plan on moving a few things....

:)
    Dee

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Bill,
    What about Styrax americanus tree form that typically is between 6-8' but can grow up to 10'. It is blooming now which as someone has already mentioned is a time when the spring bloomers are done and the summer bloomers have yet to put on their show. Here is a photo of one of my very young trees that was transplanted this spring to this location. For those in colder regions there is Styrax americanus 'Kankakee' named for Kankakee Illinois where it was found growing.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katy,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's one I will definitely consider!

Bill