Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

GW - Darn Oreo Cookie AD is distorting the Forum!

I have even blocked the plug in feature of my browser, which normally takes care of this kind of issue, and reset my browser, but it doesn't help. If I click anywhere on the front forum page, I get a new window opening with the oreo cookie ad. And the NE Forum page is all entirely blue and the oreo cookie ad at the top of the page hangs down over the 'Other Forums' link, so I can't choose another forum because clicking on it only brings up a new page with the oreo cookie ad.

Comments (17)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now there is a Sherwin Williams and Dole ad instead and no problems.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Spoke too soon, I guess they are rotating them, it's back.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Same issue here - can't open any threads because clicking anywhere only opens the Oreo cookie page. This is totally frustrating and it's been going on since Saturday. I have several forums saved as favorites and this is the only one that didn't open blue. I'm sure the next time I click on this one it'll be blue like the others. Just what I need on a Monday morning is an annoying, irritating advert for a product I don't/won't purchase...EVER.

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Same blue thing happened to me. Irony is, I'd been getting inundated with the oreo ad for several weeks, so I actually (I confess, with shame) bought a pkg of these new-fangled chocolate-coated one-cookie-layer thingies. What a disappointment! The chocolate was what I call "child quality": a cheap pale version. And the single cookie inside didn't taste as good as a real Oreo.

So next time when I want a chocolate-frosted cookie, I'll go back to my favorites which are Le Petit Escolier, which come in milk choc., dark choc., and extra dark. Cost more, but worth it.

Carol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not a product we would ever buy either. Good for you Carol, serves Oreo cookie right to get a reverse effect on their annoying ad. lol

• terrene
    12 years ago

Happily I have no idea what you guys are talking about! I never see ads or popups on this website. Firefox with Flashblock and Adblock +.

Now if they only worked on the Windows and Firefox popups - they are driving me crazy!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

No ads and no blue here either. Safari with AdBlocker. Pop-Up Windows blocked in Safari.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    12 years ago

PM2, just an idea - maybe if you reload the AdBlock+ add-on or whichever pop-up blocker you use from the original download site, perhaps that would be more effective than just restarting the browser. For whatever reason, I had to reload AdBlock+ from Firefox after months of no ads. Suddenly there were ads, but the new download (a fresh install) has been in place for months without showing ads. Like Terrene, Firefox with AdBlock+ does the trick for me. Hope you ads end soon.
    Jane

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

No problem here either. Macbook Pro, Safari snow leopard and no pop ups, no oreo cookie problem either.

Fran

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

I've got Firefox with AdBlock Plus and never see any ads either.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also have a Macbook Pro with Safari and this was not a pop up ad, it was a banner ad from the top that moved down to cover the links at the top and turned the entire page blue and would produce a new tab with a cookie ad in it, if you tried to navigate the page clicking on any part of the page to scroll or open a thread. I have not seen a problem today at all. I think there was something wrong with the ad itself.

I already have my settings set for 'no pop up ads' which I don't have a problem with. And any 'moving' ads are usually 'disabled by disabling plug ins' in my browser preferences, but doing that didn't help in this case. I don't use Firefox. I can see stationary banner ads along the top and the right side of the screen, on GW but I ignore those.

12 years ago

PM2: Have you downloaded Safari Adblocker?

This is what I have. When downloaded, it's installed in your Preferences and can be set to automatic updates.

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

My computer not infrequently got these bugs; so far I've avoided this one.
    Firefox plus Adblock
    mt

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Claire, I was unaware of an Adblock for Safari, thanks, I'll look into that!

pm2

12 years ago

Actually, Jane/corunum mentioned it in a previous thread.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Then thanks Jane! :-)

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Blech! Oreo caught up with me. I went back a page and it didn't pop up then, but a silly survey poppped on and stayed in the middle of each post.

What an alienating way to advertise. And why would I want to take a survey that is interrupting my leisure activity?
    mt