Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings in rain

Posted by noticklish z5/6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 8:45

Just wondering if anyone is having good luck with rooting cuttings in this rainy weather. I can't seem to get my boxwood stems rooted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings in rain

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 0:18

Hi noticklish
If you give us more information how you start cutting, it is easier to give sugestion. Successful propagation is depend on many other condition. what part of boxwood is used?
Rain helps but not only the condition to develop root.
yama. (Don't live in Ga anymore)

o

Dipped it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a seed starting cell. It is a 4inch tall cutting.Perhaps summer is not the best time for boxwood.

o

I have very little experience in rooting things, and the only thing I tried rooting this year was some rhodie cuttings. I dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in potting mix inside milk jugs. I have no idea how they are doing - when I peek inside the jug they all look exactly the same as when they went in, and I have no idea how to check for roots other than pulling on them - which I don't want to do just yet.

A friend of mine used to root her boxwood cuttings directly into the ground. She had little hedges around some of her beds, and when she trimmed them, she would just stick the cuttings in the ground (with hormone) to continue the hedge. I would guess this was done in the spring, when she first trimmed them, but I honestly don't know if she did it at other times of year too. They always seemed to take quite well.

Maybe yours just need a bit more time? Good luck!
:)
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here