Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or Stachys 'Hummelo'?

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 9:38

I did WS some Stachys 'Hummelo' last year. This plant came up where I had WS it, and its foliage sure looks similar. But, now that it's blooming I'm pretty sure it's a standard weed I see around here but don't know the name. Surely something this unimpressive can't be Hummelo, which people rave about! I did find one picture of Hummelo's foliage close enough to see vein structure, and I think it's different. Both leaves have some notching/scallops on the edges, but I think the veining may be different. Hummelo looked like the veins went right out to the sides, whereas this one has veins that steer towards the tip. But, it was VERY hard to see the picture, so I still can't be sure. What is this thing? A sickly 'Hummelo' or a weed? If it's not 'Hummelo' then I find it ironic that it not only looks so similar but also has the same bloom time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or Stachys 'Hummelo'?

I'm pretty sure it's Lobelia inflata/Indian Tobacco.

o

I have that same "weed" blooming in my garden right now. I just noticed it this week and was debating if I should yank it. It's growing near my motherwort, and the combo looks pretty. But I don't want my garden to end up full of it.

o

definitely not Stachys Hummelo, which has very distinctive foliage.

o

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what it is. And...while I was pulling this weed I found, hidden nearby, a TRUE Stachys 'Hummelo.' It must have overwintered but not been too strong as it's not very big and no bloom this year. It should make it to next year, though.

Thank you, jaynine!

o

You're welcome. Good luck with your 'Hummelo'.

o

Stachys 'Hummelo' is completely different from this plant. It has large, showy pink flowers. There are other wonderful Stachys cultivars even better than 'Hummelo' (in my opinion). Not so easy to find in nurseries so mail order on them. Like 'Grandiflora'. Very showy, very reliable.

o

Ginny, why is 'Grandiflora' better than Hummelo? Bigger flowers, longer bloom period, better foliage, or more robust? I like Hummelo, but can't say it's my favorite plant. I do like the timing of the blooms, which is just after the perennial Salvias are finished with their first flush of bloom. I hadn't heard of Grandiflora before, but it does look nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: S. Gradiflora at Lazy S's Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here