Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitegarden

Anyone Ready to Think About a Fall Swap?

I am up for hosting if you guys want to do one in the fall. I thought it worked out well here in the spring. Let me know and we can settle on a date.

WG

Comments (20)

• mcube
    14 years ago

Please count me in !!!

• leira
    14 years ago

Well, WG, as for a swap in the Fall, only time will tell.

I could save seeds this year, but other than that, I fear I won't have anything else to offer in the Fall. If the existing white plant(s) multiply enough for root division, that won't be until Spring.

Even if I find volunteers in the Spring, I won't be able to tell if they're the white ones or the fuchsia ones, since I have both in the garden, and they don't bloom until the second year.

Sooo...I'm happy to share my good fortune, if we can only find a reliable way to do it!

• osiris1975
    14 years ago

I might be interested. I've never been to one though. I'll have a few oriental lilys and perhaps a couple of japanese maple saplings (very young ones, like a few inches tall).

• lschibley
    14 years ago

I'm very interested in a fall swap (I had to miss WG's in the spring and would love to make it this time) and also would be happy to host if southern folks are looking for something closer. I'm in Plymouth, about an hour south of Boston along Rt. 3.

Lisa

• ericofwebster
    14 years ago

WG: I would be interested in attending a fall swap, and could bring you your white rose campion plants. I took another look this weekend and see I have scads of them coming up so I could bring plenty for others, too. I haven't been to a swap before and am not entirely sure I understand how it works, or how one knows what plants others are seeking. I do have lots of kousa dogwood trees coming up if anyone is interested - they are only about six inches tall now but they do grow quickly and are stunning when mature. Off the top of my head, I also have lots of white physostegia (as does anyone who grows it, but it might be welcome by someone just starting a garden), and beautiful blue veronica, fiery red bee balm, montauk daisies, variegated kiwi vine starts which seem to be taking....

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So what do you guys think about location? If you want to do it here, I have to start thinking about dates.

WG

• ericofwebster
    14 years ago

WG: I went back and read through some older threads about your spring swap, and see you're in Southborough. That works for me!

• cpl100
    14 years ago

What happens in a swap? I am a brand new gardener so doubt I have anything to swap (only plants I lust for...like that kousa dogwood mentioned) but I would love to prepare for one in the future. What a great idea!

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

I was hoping we'd have a swap somewhere south of Boston this fall, but since I'll be traveling I'm not sure if I can make one anyway (or anywhere). Last year's was in Plymouth, and it was a lot of fun. Which reminds me, I still have one plant I need to ID from that swap ...

• suecirish
    14 years ago

We had a great swap in the spring in Bristol RI, and I think a few people from that one might be interested in a fall swap too. Southborough is not great for us Southcoast folks, but I'd definitely be interested in one in the southeast or RI.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Although I may not be able to be there, over the years we have tried to change locations from season to season and year to year. My feeling is it is nice to see other gardens, people will come from another geographical area and sometimes use this as an opportunity to visit new nurseries, public gardens or just explore.

WG, you hosted such a lovely swap this spring, and were very generous with food and plants. I hope you will not take my suggestion amiss. I'm only functioning as historical memory, not a social events planner!

Plan on everyone!

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whatever you guys think is fine with me. Do you want to start talking dates (once we have settled on a location)? Anyone want to host?

WG

• daniellen
    14 years ago

Hi everyone -

I'm new to the boards and very new to gardening. I've got a small hanging vegetable garden and I'm starting a new flower and herb garden by the side of the house. I'd love to get involved with a plant swap, but I'm not sure how they're run and what I can do to contribute. How do these swaps usually work? I've seen a few different descriptions on various sites. I'm in Newton but on weekends can travel if it's somewhere around MA or possibly even RI.

Thanks!
    Danielle

• luckyladyslipper
    14 years ago

I'd like to participate, if possible. I used to live around the corner from WG, but now have a new garden (4 years old in Northborough), so I don't have a whole lot to share, but will try to hold up my end of things.

Susan (who sadly left her ladyslippers in Southborough, where they probably got bulldozed).

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Susan, how are you?

• luckyladyslipper
    14 years ago

Very well, though realizing that all my complaints about the soil on Woodbury Road were relatively silly. The soil here is 100% clay. I cannot make compost fast enough! And I'm too old to be digging all these new gardens!!

I think when I saw your garden in person, you had just installed the tiny cottage by the river, and started plantings around the (main) house. I visited your flower-business website a year or so ago, and simply don't see how you have accomplished both. Do you still spend time saving open space in town, too?

BTW, I would be able to bring various daylilies to a swap (one or two are off-white, but mostly very bold colors). In the white category, I also have shasta daisies - but I assume everybody else does, too.

EricofWebster - I would LOVE some physotegia, as I am indeed starting a new garden.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan,

Call me and let's plan for you to come by some time. I would love to see you! As for town stuff, that and much more. Most recently, saving the police station from the wrecking ball!

N

• jaydeeinma
    14 years ago

I'm up for a fall plant swap too. WG's spring swap was wonderful, I hope to have more plants available to divide by the fall although the slugs/Japanese beetles and blight have kept me busy this year!

JD.

• lschibley
    14 years ago

I could host a fall swap on the 12th or 13th. After the swap a few of us did a tour of Katsura Garden last year, and I am sure we could do it again if anyone was interested. My swap wasn't fancy. I don't have extensive gardens to tour, though I do have a Pagoda Dogwood I'd love to show off. So if folks would rather travel to somewhere more impressive like Whitegarden, I would understand completely.

I am in Plymouth, about an hour south of Boston and 20 minutes north of the Bourne Bridge along 3A.

For swapping I have...

Black-eyed Susan
    Artemesia 'Silver Brocade'
    Agastache 'Blue Fortune'
    Guara
    Baptisia Seedlings
    Pink Spirea
    Pink Garden Mum

Has anyone transplanted Bearberry? Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi I planted one 5 years ago and it has spread beautifully, but I decided I have planted it in a poorly chosen place. If I do move it, I will probably have extra pieces where it has rooted, but I am not sure how it will work. If anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear it.

Let me know. I'm willing to travel too. I just wanted to make a south shore offer!

Lisa

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm happy to go somewhere else for the fall swap. My fall weekends are filling up fast. Do we want to pick a location and a date?

WG