Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what cover crop animals don't eat

Posted by MassachusettsGrower none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:00

I wanna know what cover crop animals don't eat. Even common vetch is listed as being forage for ruminents. But what's getting me is the rabbit and vole animals that chew down many of the cover crops as if they were treats. So would common vetch be immune to rabbits and voles, even though food for ruminents like deer?

Ones I've tried that get hit:
black-eyed [cow] peas
"chickling vetch" [Lathyrus Sativa] sold by Johnny's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what cover crop animals don't eat

I've used Hairy Vetch, Vicia villosa, from Johnny's. I do not normally have a lot of critter problems. Rabbits once in a while, who seem to gravitate to the clover in the lawn, rather than the cover crop in the vegetable beds. But I do have raised beds and rarely a rabbit in the yard. I don't have deer. Might have a mole/vole or two and two seasons I had chipmunks that are gone since having a dog in the yard all the time.

Good luck.

o
RE: what cover crop animals don't eat

How big an area are you talking about? Does it need to be a legume or would something like a wheat or rye work? I think any legume would be prone to damage by rabbits and voles, but if it is a smaller area you could try some of the solutions listed in one of the vole threads listed here, or in the hosta or perennial forums if it is a smaller area. Some folks have found that bright shiny pinwheels (handmade or dollar store) around a garden bed also will discourage the critters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here