Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

When does your tall phlox get buds?

I have three types of tall phlox, 'Orange Perfection', 'David', and 'Blue Boy' (I think). Last year I got no buds and this year I'm anxiously watching. When do your phlox in these varieties get buds? So far I have only foliage.

I'm trying to chart the sun in that are this week, but I would be surprised if they didn't get enough sun. I've heard they'll bloom even in shade, just not as much. Mine get at least 4 hours of sun, but I think it's probably more like 6 hours.

This spring I gave them a high phosphorous fertilizer to encourage bloom.

Comments (12)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

My 'David' has buds that are just about to open. Mine are in about 6 hrs of sun. I don't fertilize mine at all. I just moved them last fall too. You are a zone behind me so hopefully that's all it is.

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Hi Deanna, I'm not sure what variety I have but they are budded now. I'm just north of Concord NH. I have them planted in a narrow space between the garage and the barn. They are in the sunniest part, probably from 10am to 2pm.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I'm in zone 6b but at the coast so blooming is later, maybe closer to your zone.

My two established Phlox Davids, one in about 6 hours sun, one in a little more shade, have buds now. The one in more sun is further along.

The Phlox David Lavender I moved last year has no buds, nor does the Phlox Blue Paradise newly planted last year.

Claire

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine were planted fall of 2008. They didn't bloom last year but have no excuse this year. Today they got 5 1/2 to 6 hours of sun. AAAARRRRGGGGGGH!!!

• sue36
    13 years ago

My David has buds and looks like they may bloom in a week or so. They are in full sun from sun up to about 2:30. I don't use chemical fertilizers, but they are planted in excellent soil which I topdress with compost regularly.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I have many different varieties of tall phlox, and I've forgotten their names, but some are ready to start blooming now and others bloom up until September if I remember correctly. Those with swelling buds now are a purple variety, and other purples, hot pinks, and reds will start when these are still blooming and after they are done. I think when they flower depends on which variety they are. (Ditto with daylilies. I have multiple varieties of these which pretty much insures that *some* will blooming for the remainder of the summer.)

Wish I could recall which varieties I have and when exactly each blooms, but that knowledge has faded into obscurity. I can say that this is early for even my early phlox to bloom here in zone 4, but this year has been about 2 weeks ahead of schedule for all my flowers.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

about 10 miles south of salem,nh and this is what i have...

almost all of mine are blooming!

• franeli
    13 years ago

My 'David'phlox usually starts budding mid to late July with blooms throughout August,and into Sept. if I deadhead.
    No budding yet on any of my phlox,thank heavens,because
    everything for me this year is blooming early.
    Right now, all of my phlox get full sun; 9am to sunset.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

My 'David' just started opening today!

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Okay....two parts....first, mine in Rhode Island have been blooming for the past few days in the sun. I hope yours are still coming!

However, I have some in a shadier location that were Ready to bloom. And then.....DEER....I thnk..... we've never had them before, but I saw a ton of damage about 4 feet tall and above. Someone ate the tops off the chelone, phlox, tomato plants, some of the clematis, a few others.

Anyway, I'm just wondering....do you think the phlox and chelone will re-bud and still bloom late, or is it too late for 2010?

Thanks!

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Correction: I recently realized I have a tall variety from the NH plant swap that was planted last year. It shows no sign of any budding. It's in full sun. The phlox I bought at Agway and transplanted in 2008 to the part sun spot is blooming. Different varieties. Maybe there is still hope!

• franeli
    13 years ago

I do believe if you have a Phlox maculata it will bloom a lot earlier than a paniculata.
    And I think there are other tall Phlox that bloom spring/late spring like P.carolina and P.ovata.