Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie6ri

Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' invasive?

leslie6ri
12 years ago

Hello New Englanders,

I bought an Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' on impulse recently (because it looked so cute), without any idea of what to do with it exactly. I've never grown any Ajuga at all. Is anyone growing this one? I've read that gardeners either love Ajuga for a difficult site, or curse it for spreading everywhere they don't want it. I've also read that this particular cultivar isn't as invasive as many others and is a dwarf form. (It's adorable.) I was considering planting it in a shady bed with hostas and heucheras, hoping it would fill in between but not take over. (I'm already digging out and transplanting sweet woodruff and lily of the valley that have spread.) Does anyone have any advice to share about 'Chocolate Chip'?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Here is Chocolate Chip in 2010 after the snowplow boys had it all scraped up over the winter and I had to replant pieces in March/April.

Here it is a year later:

And here it is in another location where I thought I could intermingle it with hosta 'Kabitan'. Dramatic combination, but not a chance. I had to move that hosta. This was last year:

This is this year... I moved this last Kabitan as well. It has room here, but not for long:

• runktrun
    12 years ago

Nice photos Wendy but you forgot to mention that its bloom time coincides and pairs well with dandelions. Mine has escaped my border happily soaking up the full sun, fertilization, and irrigation, of what some might call a lawn. The bees are crazy about it BUT I would be certain that where ever you plant it you could live with it for a life time as I would say it is on par with yucca or gooseneck loosestrife for staying power.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

dandelions ... ha ha! None in my yard! THey wouldn't dare!!!

speaking of escaping ajugo into the lawn... that last picture was taken after I had just edged and increased that border by a few inches to get it out of the lawn. They were meeting up.

I bet if I looked now that gap is probably smaller.

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, wendyb.

The pictures are wonderful! I was going to plant it with Hostas 'Stained Glass', 'Paul's Glory', and 'Patriot'. There's also a Heuchera 'Plum Royale' in there. Do you think they would be big enough to hold their own with 'Chocolate Chip'? And as long as 'CC' is easy to yank out... It's a shade bed so I'm trying to combine different colors and textures to brighten it up a little.

runktrun,

Loosetrife does strike fear into my heart. Are you growing 'Chocolate Chip' too? Will it be less invasive in shade?

(And by the way, everyone. I want to sing the praises of Heuchera 'Plum Royale'. It's wonderful. It's everything I expected Heuchera 'Frosted Violet' to be.)

And wendyb, thanks to you I'm the proud and happy owner of Schizophragma 'Moonlight'. I saw one at the nursery and couldn't resist after reading your post. Now I'll be the one waiting 3 to 5 years for flowers.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

My DIL's sister gave me 'Chocolate Chip' four years ago and I planted it in a small bed. It qickly grew too large for the spot I had it so I dug it out and moved it to a part sun bed where it had a little more room to grow. It has expanded in width but by no means would I describe it as invasive. The flowers in spring are very welcome and intensely blue but all spring flowers (even dandelions) are a welcome sight after a winter like last year.

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gardenweed,

I think I'll try it with the Hostas and Heuchera. You had no trouble digging it out, nor did wendyb, so it should be fine. The Hosta varieties should get large enough to tower over it. (If not, I'll move it.) I really love the look of it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Leslie,
    Congratulations on Moonlight. So happy to help enable - LOL! if you read my post again, I think it was EIGHT years to bloom! But mine is mostly shade. Maybe a bit more sun will speed things up for you.

I'm sure the large hosta will hold their own fine with CC. That's what I am expecting in my 2nd CC location when they reach the big hostas.

Wendy

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I have a small patch that is now so tightly packed after the first year. Just this week I thinned it out and started a patch in a new area. They are so easy to divide and replant. Both areas are in shade and seem to be doing fine. I didn't realize they did well in sun, so I may thin out the original patch again and plant some in an area that gets a little more sun.
    Susan