Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of flower is this? Will pruning encourage new growth?

Posted by Planter91 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 10:48

Yellow with a red center. The flowers seem to last a few days and then they start to look like they had a bad hair day.

Do they need to be pruned to encourage more growth?

Cute little flowers. I want to know what type. My research into China Aster's and general Aster's show no Yellow Ones with red centers.

I planted a mixed variety that I bought in the store and have to identify each one by one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of flower is this? Will pruning encourage new grow

Might well be Calendula, a flowering annual plant. If you don't get a for-sure ID here fairly quickly, the folks on the Name That Plant forum are whizzes at IDing plants.

(You also have a large weed on the left side, lamb's quarters, AKA Chenopodium album or other Chenopodium species. You want to remove that since it appears to be out-competing the flowering plant.)

o

Thanks fir the reply, nhbabs

These plants cam from a Wild Flower Seed Pack I bought at the store. Listed on the pkg is "Calendula Officinalis" so it is probably that.

The other plant, you say is a weed? Research says it is highly edible.

Should the Calendla Offinalis spent flower heads be pruned back to encourage more growth?

o

Yes, removing spent flowers, called dead-heading, does help plants produce more blooms.

I guess you're right about the lambs quarters ID, NHBabs, although LQ foliage is sort of dusty looking, and this seems a bit bright - maybe that's just the contrast with the calendula foliage, which is a little yellowish.

o

I agree with calendula identification. There are different varieties and that looks like a nice color combination. The flower is edible but I never eat mine. You might deadhead to encourage more blooms but calendulas readily self sow for me here in NH. This spring I transplanted some to other parts of the vegetable garden and pulled out some. So if you want some next year, let it go to seed at the end of the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here