Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annoc_gw

Ruby Star Echinacea Repeat Color?

annoc
13 years ago

I am reworking a long narrow perennial/shrub border and have been looking all over garden centers & the internet to come up with something a little different that would repeat the gorgeous (in my opinion) echinacea color further down the border. Does anyone have any suggestions for full sun and less than 36" tall? Is there any reblooming daylily that may work? Should I just go with the echinacea repeat? Many thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Tall phlox come in every variety of red and bright pink, and they might work for you. Repeating the echinacea would look nice too though. That's a color scheme after my own heart!

• molie
    13 years ago

Check the daylily forum... though most daylilies have their period of flowering and don't rebloom. I have a great red daylily... Hemerocallis 'Delia O'Bryan Brown' and it's a standout in front of my taller David Phlox. I also have... for earlier red... a great low Mt. Laurel, Minuet, and (though they're taller) red Knockout Roses.

I did the same as you.. trying to repeat colors throughout my long garden. It's kind of late but you might want to consider annuals to repeat the red as I've done for the past few years... low growing, spreading red zinnias and (get the shorter variety) bright magenta cosmos, petunias or veronicas have given me more bang for my buck than red perennials with specific blooming times, plus they spread out or stay short.

Hope this helps.

Molie

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Ann,
    I would repeat your Echinacea as I think perennieal borders (including mine)have a tendancy to become too busy and cluttered. However I do like the pairing of Daylilies and Echinacea as they both have two distinct strong color cominations the Echinacea has the cone and the petals and the Daylily has the eye of the blossom and the outer petals of the blossom. If you do decide to pair the lily and coneflower why don't you take a few coneflowers with you to your nearest daylily farm to see what is in bloom and what color combo you like the most.
    Here is H. 'Cherry Cheeks' which has fallen out of favor with the daylily crowd because the foliage can get ratty but this shows how the color of the cone is very strong.
    {{gwi:60145}}

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Those 'Cherry Cheeks' daylilies are really nice, runktrun. I've been disappointed in the red daylilies I've planted. (They are more of a darker Autumn shade of red.) But yours appear to be a truer red or red/pink. I'll have to seek out some'Cherry Cheeks' on my next trip to the nursery.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Beautiful photo, Kt. The colors are really lovely.

Annoc, I was just looking at Paghat's Garden page on Ruby Star, and she has a comparison to the very similar (but slightly shorter?) Kim's Knee High. You might want to consider using those further down the line just to extend the season a bit and vary the color scheme a tad without, as runktrun pointed out, ending up with too much variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Star and Kims Knee High at Paghat

• annoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone, Thank you for all your suggestions and directions to go. I was thinking of taking a ride to a nearby daylily farm: R Seawrights which I have never been to and will take a flower with me. I expect I will have company with the promise of an ice cream from Kimball's. Have a nice Sunday and many thanks again. I just love it when pictures are posted from all your beautiful gardens.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

If you haven't already discovered it, stop at Blanchette's nursery, also in Carlisle and about 5 minutes from Bob Seawright's. The best shade garden selections in the greater Boston area. Through July 20 per cent off and he never has sales.] Family run and knowledgable. Come with lots of questions.
    If you go say hello to his wife Pam and say Marie sent you (I get no commission, just the pleasure of sending them another customer__()

idabean.Marie

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Aren't there some monardas that have that pinker color of the Ruby Star? Maybe that would be a good choice. Maybe Croftway Pink or Marshall's Delight.

• kathyannd
    13 years ago

If you want variety and have bright sun, I'd consider tossing in a couple of roses. The double pink Knock Out and Paul McCartney rose are exactly the color, and are relatively pest free. And both assure you of long lasting color all season, not just for a few weeks in spring or summer. The Knock Out can get larger but thrives with pruning. Paul McC. won't get too huge either if you cut the blooms for vases. ;)