Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beausgrrl

Planting Hibiscus in this heat/humidity

beausgrrl
13 years ago

I seem to always do things at the "wrong" time especially with gardening so far... I have a hibiscus to plant outside and am trying to figure out if I should wait for a "cooler" period of weather or plant today/tomorrow? I haven't had the best luck keeping plants healthy in their pots while waiting to plant but neither have the planted plants done so great once in the ground and trying to survive the intense heat and humidity. I did try to shade some the first few days with screening but then on windy days it kept blowing over so I gave that up.... any input is so appreciated. :) Thanks!

-Tracey

Comments (6)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Tracey, if you have bought it, the sooner you get it in the ground, the better. What kind of Hibiscus is it? I wouldn't really expect a Hibiscus to have too much of a problem with heat and humidity. Water it really well just before you plant it, fill the hole up halfway when you plant it and fill it with water and wait until the water is absorbed to finish filling the hole. Try not to disturb the rootball when you are handling it. Give it some shade for the first week. If you use a plastic milk crate, or similar, you can put a rock on it to keep it from blowing away. Make sure you don't let it dry out.

As you have already figured out, making purchases and getting them planted early in the season is the best arrangement. I try to do all of mine before Memorial Day at the latest, but the earlier in the spring, the better. Once Memorial Day comes, I try not to buy anything except if there's some unusal sale I can't resist and I see something I've been waiting to buy. Then if I have to plant in the warmer months, I know I am going to have to give it extra attention. Otherwise, I try to wait until the fall when they also have good sales and the weather is much better for planting.

• beausgrrl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for such great information prairiemoon2. I'll do just what you said. :)

It's a Hibiscus moscheutos 'Pinot Grigio'. My mom 'had' to have it so I 'let' her but am promising nothing as far as it making it in this hot/humid summer. It is gorgeous though so I understand.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I would plant it and make a little well around it to hold water, keep it well watered. I planted a Sweet Caroline a week or so go in the midst of a heat wave, it's fine, no issues at all. (well, except the Japanese Beetles found it).

• kathyannd
    13 years ago

I agree, plant it (if you haven't already) but water it liberally and often, to keep it moist. I do plant all summer, but we water the gardens at least a few times a week unless we get a good soaking rain.

I love the hardy giant hibiscus. They are a gorgeous floral display in the garden late in the season. We planted three large plants two years ago and they all came back last year. This year, when they came up, the clumps were twice the size as they were last year. I can hardly wait to see the blooms this fall!

Cathy (MA)

• beausgrrl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input Cathy! I'm glad I'm not the only planter now. :) Something odd is happening now with the newly planted hibiscus. It had a lot of buds to open soon when we got it and some each day have turned yellow and there isn't actually a formed bud, it's just a shell and I pinch it off, and it pinches off quite readily. The soil near the plant feels moist to the touch so I don't believe it's too dry and I'm hoping it's not too wet. I hate being such a newbie and not quite grasping how to tell if a newly planted plant it too watered.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

some buds yellowing and dropping off is not uncommon for hibiscus. I have yet to figure out just why. I usually lose some buds even though I try to keep mine well watered. Its in a bed that is fairly dry. (wrong place wrong plant).

This year with so much excessive dry and hot weather, the bed hasn't gotten quite as much attention. No yellow buds this year!!! hmmmm...