Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worms in monarda

Posted by capecodder z6 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 12:00

Hi,
Both my Jacob Kline and Raspberry Wine mondarda, both blooming beautifully, have some kind of white worm in the flowers. It isn't in every flower, thank goodness. I don't spray, so have been killing them right on the flower. Any idea what this is? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worms in monarda

Any chance of a photo? It's most certainly not a worm, but a caterpillar, and, if it's not doing a lot of damage, it might even be something you would not want to kill.

People plant butterfly gardens all the time, and then go around massacring the caterpillars that would have turned into butterflies. Go figure!

If a photo is out of the realm of possibility, can you give us a more detailed description - length, width, skin texture, any markings.

o

About 1/2 inch long, white. I really try not to slaughter the caterpillars, but am suspicious about this one!They are in the flowers, not eating the leaves.

o

I read on the Perennials forum that they are horsemint caterpillars. Not desirable, I think. On the topic of caterpillars, this year I was delighted to find monarch cats on the fennel I planted years ago for their enjoyment.

o

Meant to write they are about 1/2 inch long or less, white and skinny. If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPad, I would!

o

I suspect capecodder's fennel-loving caterpillars are black or anise swallowtails, not monarchs. I believe monarch caterpillars will ONLY eat milkweed (in fact, can only survive on milkweed), whereas the very, VERY similar looking black swallowtail caterpillars will eat fennel, dill, parsley, Queen Anne’s lace, and parsnips. Both are wonderful to have, but unless you have milkweed, you will not have monarchs.

o

Thank you, CT lady. I think you are right. I do have milkweed right next to the fennel but I don't think I've ever had any monarch cats. I'm happy to have swallowtails too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here