Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is happening to my daisies?

Posted by Planter91 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 12:37

Plants overall look pretty good, but lately the flowers look like they are being eaten and the yellow center is turning brown.

Also, there are a few leaves that have turned brown, but nothing too serious yet, although it does look like more of the leaves may be starting to turn brown.

I seen a beetle on the yellow center today. Took picture, but it came out very fuzzy. See picture here.

Some of the flowers are missing half of their petals and do not look good at all.

Have seen some small flies on them. I looked for Aphids but I cannot tell. I heard you can spray a steady stream of water to knock them off.

I don't know if this is a disease or pests. Any home made solutions for diseases? Would Dawn dish washing soap and water do it?

Any home made solutions for pests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is happening to my daisies?

What you are seeing is the bane of my gardening existence. It is an oriental beetle, I'm pretty sure (photo is blurry) and they absolutely decimate my daisies, to the point where I may take them all out. Not to be confused with asiatic beetles. Your daisy actually looks pristine compared to most of mine. I'm not sure if they are eating/bothering your foliage as well, but the bloom damage is probably from them.

If there is something to be done about them, I don't know what it is yet, unfortunately. They also love daylilies, but don't do quite as much damage, IMO, probably because the bloom is only there for a day anyway. They also like to get stuck in your hair so you can find them there an hour after you are in the house. Yuck, I hate these things!

Dee

o
RE: What is happening to my daisies?

That's what I thought there were, Dee. Found some in my garden... ugh. What to do? I hate them, too.

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here