Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof3_gw

bare root plants

rnmomof3
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I planted bare root trumpet vines last fall, this spring, no action, then we had gutters put on and it looks like the guys putting them up took out the tops of the vines. Any idea if they might come back or should I just chalk it up as a loss and replant. I've never planted vines before and would really like something climbing up my porch, any suggestions would be appreciated also. Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

If you haven't seen any green yet, they are probably dead. However, you might just want to thank your lucky stars that the trumpet vines didn't do well. They tend to be hard on buildings, doing things like lifting roof shingles. Look into clematis (there is a clematis forum here on GW), which tends to be quite lovely, can have several weeks of boom for each type, and different varieties have different bloom times. They do not damage buildings. Their one drawback is that like most perennials, it takes two or three years to get to a good size. If you buy a large one, it will get big faster. I'm in central NH also, just north of Concord. I occasionally see good-sized clematis at local nurseries (Cole Gardens had some earlier this year) or even Lowe's had some bigger ones this spring, but most of mine came from reputable mail order clematis nurseries such as Silver Star on the west coast and Brushwood (currently moving from PA to GA I think.) Now probably isn't a good time to get them mail order and it will be hit or miss if you would find them mid-summer locally, but for this year you can learn about clematis and plant annual vines like scarlet runner beans or Thunbergia if you really want something now, and then plant the clematis next spring.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I agree, trumpet vine is not something you want on your house. We have some on a stockade fence, and it not only threatens to take down the fence every year, it constantly pops up - yards away from where it was planted.

If your gutter guys managed to kill a living trumpet vine, they should patent their method - it could be worth a fortune.

One caveat on clematis - there are a few that are also quite rampant, and you'd really need to keep an eye on them if you planted them on the house. Here, where it's admittedly warmer than in most of NH, both C. montana and sweet autumn clematis are such rampant growers that they could clamber over a house in short order. The SAC also self sows like a banshee (whatever that is).

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

C. montana isn't hardy here, so not a problem, but I'd suggest avoiding sweet autumn clematis just because it does self-sow, and NH has lots of land which doesn't get regular maintenance and doesn't need any more invasive plants than are already there.