Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fence company recommendation?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:04

I've had it with the deer and the groundhog. So far they are winning the battle with my vegetable garden. But I am determined to win the war! I'm going to fence in the garden. After figuring out I need 150-160' of fencing, I've also decided this is NOT a DIY project. So does anybody have a recommendation for a fence company?

I want utilitarian, but still pretty. I'm thinking picket lined with chicken wire. It's in the backyard, so not really visible from the street, or the neighbors. But I still have to look at it! It will be extremely visible when I sit out on the patio. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm Boston MetroWest - Rt 128 and the Pike.

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fence company recommendation?

PL, I think with deer the fence needs to be at least seven feet high or so. Otherwise they'll jump it. I also thought groundhogs would dig under, so fencing needed to be dug down so they won't get in. I have a picket fence and the woodchuck mocks it. Deer tend not to jump it because it's close to the house and there's plenty of good eats elsewhere in the yard that doesn't require physical labor! LOL!

Good luck with whatever you do! Both animals are hard to co-exist with in a garden. Sigh.....if they wouldn't be such pigs.........

o
RE: Fence company recommendation?

• Posted by lalala 6b (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 13:15

I am in MetroWest not far from you. McDonough and Fensu were both good options when we looked at fences. Reliable is another one I've seen a lot, though they didn't offer our type of fence so we didn't get a quote from them. I don't recommend Walpole because their quote was three times the price of the other quotes (they may not have wanted our small job).

Our friends have a deer fence: it's a regular height, attractive fence with tall, thin wooden posts installed behind the normal posts (painted dark green so they're not so noticeable). Then wire is strung between the tall posts. It looks good and the deer learned fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here