Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnats on my Aloe Plant

Posted by derekellis 5B (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 15:07

I noticed I have gnats that buzz around and are crawling on my aloe plant.

Are they harmless? Should I kill them off? If so, what can I use? I don't want to kill my aloe plant.

The plant is indoors, and in a terra cotta pot. I give it a 1/2 quart of water every week. The pot is well drained, with two inches of gravel at the bottom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnats on my Aloe Plant

To add, the plant is doing very well, it has been producing a new shoot about every 6 weeks. The leaves are thick and firm, very green, with no yellowing or brown spots.

o

The gnats are likely fungus gnats that have larvae in the soil. The larvae usually feed on green fungus that grows on the soil surface of indoor plants. I get these on my seedlings that I grow in the winter. The are basically harmless to a large plant like your Aloe. I control them with little yellow sticky traps that attract the gnats and kill them. You can also use beneficial nematodes added to the soil or Bt (Bacillius thruringus) added to your water. Both will kill the larvae.

Steve

o

Adding a thin layer of fine gravel or sand to the surface of your pot will make it less hospitable to the gnats. Or you can water a bit less often so that the soil surface completely dries out between watering. The gnats like moist soil, and the aloe is a succulent and so won't suffer from less frequent waterings.

o

well a follow up to my posting

they seem to have laid eggs in the soil (in the pot), there are hundreds of white specs.

I want to get rid of them. Again, and suggestions, that wont kill my aloe plant, or my cats (or myself?)

Where can I find the BT? Flower or garden shops?

The soil I dry right now. normally water it weekly on sundays. I don't know if I want to water it right now, to keep the gnats at bay

o

You can try adding a capful of hydrogen peroxide to the water when you water your plant. I did this with my sansevieria and it did the trick after a couple of times. Good luck!

o

Deleted - double post

This post was edited by muffin1358 on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 6:10

o

Easy way to get rid of fungus gnats is to put in dish washing soap (one tablespoon) in a gallon of water mix well and water dry (bone dry preferable) soil thoroughly. Gnats will die ASAP. Simple and easy, has worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here