Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Runktrun...my memory needs help

Posted by nandina 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 15:19

Nice to see you posting again, Katy. At the moment there is a question on the Organic Forum titled "Year round Self perpetuating Garden". It reminded me of two Island projects and I wonder if there are updates available on them?

The first is the gal who was heating her home using a chicken house open to the main house. I remember it received quite a bit of publicity at the time. Is this still an ongoing project?

And the second was back in the 80's. A display home off the grid using solar gain windows, batteries and exterior wind powered small surplus Navy fans placed to catch the ever present ocean winds. Has that project survived?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Runktrun...my memory needs help

I'm looking forward to hearing about these! I found this article about the chickens, but haven't looked for the Navy surplus fans yet - that sounds really intriguing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Edey's West Tisbury farm (MVMagazine)

o

OMG Nandina if you are looking for help remembering something you are definately asking the wrong girl. LOL

I do recall that twenty or thirty years ago her farm Solviva was considered extremely unique (particularly her approach to waste water)and she offered tours to the general public.

When I saw your post I pull out my copy of her book Solviva How To Grow $5000,000 On One Acre & Peace On Earth and was suprised at how relavent it still is today. She really is a woman ahead of her time.

The second project I believe you are thinking of was the Wind Farm Museum that again was ahead of it's time. It was a popular trip for the school kids as well as tourists but unfortunately did not survive what I would call the Land Grab Years 2000-2008 and is now a golf driving range :(

o

Thanks to both of you for your answers. It helped and Katy, your land grab remark reminded me of one of the Island's former famous North Rd. residents who used to look me in the eye in those early days before WWII and say "repeat after me, never tell anyone about Martha's Vineyard". How he loved the Island, farming and sailing. Ended his years on his New York farm breeding Scotch Highland cows originally imported from Queen Elizabeth's herd. Think grapefruit for identity of this farmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here