Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love it when flowers do this

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:35

One of my favorite things is when flowers from neighboring plants intermingle. Just love it! One of my goals when I plan layout is to get more of my flowers to do this. This is ox-eye daisy and Dyer's Chamomile (Anthemis tinctoria).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love it when flowers do this

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 18:04

What a nice combination! I can see it as a fabric design - now that would be a garden hat I'd be happy to wear.

Claire

o

Lovely combination! Is the Anthemis hardy for you? Is it short-lived or is it a long-term part of the garden?

o

Very pretty! I was surprised that our Anthemis didn't come back this year after no snow cover last year.

o

What a lovely, happy picture. Glad that happened for you. I think I only have weeds that do that.

o

Very nice! It can be hard to get them to do that without one plant stomping over the other, so sometimes these lovely 'woven' combinations only last one season. That makes them all the more interesting - next year, maybe a different one will spring up somewhere else in the garden.

I use drumstick allium this way quite a bit; even though it can be a pest (mainly because you can't tell if it's onion grass, or an actual flower, until it blooms!) to add interest to plants that flower as a mass of color.

o

That's such a perfect combination, and I, too, would love to wear a garden hat or shirt printed with that design! (I never realized there were domestic versions of chamomile. The wild version grows profusely on the hill behind our house, and often I pick it, along with wild mint, to make herbal tea. I should try this pretty yellow version and see if it does as well as the wild chamomile.)

o

Spedigrees, Dyer's chamomile did just that in the old days--it dyed things. Not great for drinking! Also called Golden Marguerite.

It is indeed a short-lived perennial, but a pretty profuse reseeder. My original plants were planted in 2010. They flowered the very first year, were beautiful, and came back in 2011. Didn't make it this year, but I have lots of babies popping around. You can see these reseeded plants here. It doesn't make a big bush on its own. My original "bush" was actually multiple plants from wintersowing. I weeded out all the seedlings around it because I didn't realize it wouldn't last, so now there's a hole in that spot. Because it has more of an upright character it does fit well in the "cracks" of the garden where it reseeds. It's also easy to pull out. No root runners, only lots of seeds. I really like it's cheery nature. And, usually the center button is very wide with shorter petals, which is an interesting variation on the standard daisy.

I have little to no bark mulch on my garden this year. That probably has encouraged its reseeding. Don't know how it would do with lots of mulch as far as propagation goes. But, it's so easy to catch some seeds at the end of the season and WS them in a jug. I plant even a kindergartner could grow well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here