Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Looking for hinoki false cypress crippsii in CT

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

I killed my hinoki false cypress crippsii by moving it and not taking along enough of a root ball and moving it at the wromg time of the year. Was wondering if any of you CT folks have seen one around anywhere? Thanks, Richie

Comments (19)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

I am 99.9% sure Earth First Nursery on Trumbull has them. I was admiring it last month. It's golden color right? They had them mislabeled and I pointed it out to them which is why I remember. Good luck :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I think Twombly Nursery in Monroe has them, although I'm sure you can find them cheaper elsewhere!

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yes, they are golden and green mixed. I am going to call both places today and see if any of them have it in stock.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Avant Gardens in MA usually has them both mail order and in the nursery.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Richie, I didn't see it on their website (they don't seem to have a plant listing) but try Benedicts in Monroe as well (right next to the park where we have our swap, literally two driveways over, if you are unfamiliar with them). Also, on Rte. 111 in Monroe on the Monroe/Trumbull border is a Sunshine Nursery, and a bit farther up (1/2 mile?) on the Trumbull side, I think, is a place called D.R. Charles - call them first, not sure if they are primarily mulch, topsoil, etc., although I recall seeing annuals out in spring. I've never been there but drive by all the time. And hey, if you are up in those parts, might as well go across the street to the new Lowes or Home Depot (sheesh, I was there and don't even know which one it is, lol). They have a fairly large garden center, and it's new, so who knows. When I was there I was primarily looking for annuals and didn't look at their other stuff, but you never know.

Also, on Rte 110 on the Shelton/Monroe border is a small place called O'Hara's that you might want to call.

And you can always try Marcucio's in Derby too. And that place in Bethany(?) - Amity Gardens? Have never been there but my in-laws go often.

And of course there's one of my favorites, Broken Arrow in Hamden. Gee, I haven't made it out there yet. I usually go at least twice, once in spring and once in fall, but haven't gotten there yet. I was going to say be forewarned, that you will come home with a stuffed car, but I guess that danger exists at all these places, lol.

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, I found several sizes at Twombly in Monroe, are you ready ..from $200-$1200(10 feet). I didn't realize but I must have paid $$$$$$ for the one I bought at least 7-8 years ago. OUCH! Dee, I figured they would be sorta expensive.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

Ha! This thread is mentioning all my favorite nurseries. I knew Twombly's would have it but they are SOOOO much more expensive and to be honest their stock isn't always fantastic. I've gotten a lot of root bound plants there. I go there almost daily bc its so close to my house. If its the only place that has what your looking for though I would wait til September bc they have big sales on all their shrubs/trees. Everything in a pot/burlapped gets discounted 20-40%.
    I do love broken arrow sooooo much it's my #1 place to shop although its a little bit of a drive from my house. I was at Benedict's yesterday. Eveything was looking a little crispy. Sunshine is good too although they had much more/better stuff last year at this time. All of these nurseries (besides Broken Arrow) are within a few miles of each other including Earth First that I mentioned previously that had them. I like to hit them all on the days my kids are at camp!
    I just discovered Marcucios in Derby but haven't been to O'Haras so thanks for the heads up Dee.
    I like hearing about nurseries. I'm always on the lookout for something new. I love to wander through them :)
    Again good luck looking for your false cypress.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I called Earth First and it sounded like a younger guy answered and he said they had them for like 50 bucks, that was his exact words...LOL. So I will try them first after work on friday. Greenhaven, please let us know when Twombly has their good sale!!!!

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

Broken Arrow has it. Starts at $39 for a 2 gallon and then prices vary for B+B sizes. They have quite a selection there. Ask for a catalog if you go. Excellent excellent nursery.
    And yes I will let ya know when the sale starts at Twomblys :)

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

Broken Arrow has it. Starts at $39 for a 2 gallon and then prices vary for B+B sizes. They have quite a selection there. Ask for a catalog if you go. Excellent excellent nursery.
    And yes I will let ya know when the sale starts at Twomblys :)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Greenhaven, maybe I will wait until tomorrow and go there. I have always wanted to go there and I am not that far taking the back roads of Woodbridge.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, I found a replacement. It's called Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Tetragona Aurea'. Common Name
    Golden fernleaf cypress. We went to Broken Arrow and they didn't have any so we decided to go back to Vinny's in Wallingford and they had one left. Thanks everyone!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Vinny's - that's a new one to me. I'll have to check them out. How are the prices there?

One reason I've put off buying a chamaecyparis, despite my burning desire to have one, was illustrated when I just googled the Tetragona Aurea to see what you got. The first description said 5 ft high by 3 ft wide, while the second place I looked said 12 ft high and 6 ft wide! And I'm sure if I found a third source it would give me a third description of height and width!

Wish they could decide on this before folks buy them...

Glad you found a replacement. Hope it does well for you!
    Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Dee, Vinny's was 20% off so with tax it came to $85 for a shrub between maybe 4 feet tall. They didn't have much there and they are mostly the basic stuff. They used to have a huge xmas shop and fake flowers also but over the past several years it's dwindled way down. Even their garden area seems to have shrunk but it could be the time of the year also. I don't even know if Vinny is around anymore, last time I saw him a few years ago he had looked like he had a stroke and seemed to be paralyzed on one side. His brother was the other Gloria form Gloria's in Milford....I believe.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    11 years ago

I almost took a ride to Vinny's yesterday for a change bc I haven't been there yet. I ended up at Phil's in North Haven instead and got a couple of cute Japanese Maples (Ryusen and Coralinum).
    I should have clarified in my post that I was basing the info for Broken Arrow off of their catalog. It was about 3am and I was up with my sick 2yr old. Not thinking clearly but I had the catalog and figure i'd look for you. Sorry i made you go all the way there but i do hope you like the place :)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh no, I have wanted to go there and walk around and plus we got to talk to one of the gardeners and get a few tips so that was a good thing!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Ah, I used to go to Gloria's all the time. Didn't realize it was a family last name!

Richie, I should have mentioned this *before* you went, but did you wander out to the greenhouses in the back at Broken Arrow? Spectacular view. If you missed it, don't worry - it's even nicer in the fall, lol.

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no Dee, we didn't wander in the back, we were green! Didn't know our way around.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Well, then, you'll just have to go again when the leaves change!