Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitegarden

Anyone familiar with veronica virginicia, a.k.a. 'culver's root'

I am going to do some renovating to remove plants that the critters in my area just won't let thrive. I will have echinacea for whoever wants it this fall. Thought I would add this plant but I have never used it before. Anyone have any information?

Comments (9)

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

Very nice plant. Blooming now. Long bloomer. 4-5 feet tall. I have never had deer or anything else bother it. Still alive in my pot ghetto after 3 winters and particularly last year's throw-my-hands-up summer - so pretty hardy. Anything else you need to know?
    : D

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, that'll do it. I need to start pulling out some phlox as it is taking over the bed a bit and, let's face it, it is a big draw for critters. I'll give the culver's root a try.

Thanks for replying.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

which ech?
    Marie

• PRO
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Marie,

Standard purple and "white swan" probably. I am just sick to death of finding them eaten down to 4" every year. I have planted at least 20 and have one bloom to show for it this year. I am rapidly shifting my focus from an infatuation with any single plant to a focus on the overall design, good combination of texture and fairly consistent bloom. I am developing a growing appreciation for things like lamb's ear and alchemilla, which pull their weight in the garden and don't lead to stress!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

I used to have the Veronicastrum 'Fascination' on my wishlist. I saw it once and didn't get it and never saw it again. Possibly because I don't look for new perennials much anymore. I don't remember why it made my wishlist, but something to consider.

• capecodder
    12 years ago

I've had veronicastrum for at least 10 years...until this year. Only a few stalks came up and they look diseased...they were always at least 5 feet tall and looked great in a vase with other flowers. Joe Pye Weed and Queen of the Meadow are filling in the bare space.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

For some reason my last post didn't post. I have a lot of lady's mantle if you want to divide and conquer. I like white swan a lot. I used to have fragrant angel, but I'm not sure where it went.....
    mt

• PRO
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ideabean - I have plenty of lady's mantle. Thankfully, the voles left a good deal and since I stopped doing weddings (thus using all the flowers every year) I have many volunteers. I could use more of the hakonechloa when and if you think you might have more to spare.

As for the echinacea, the white cultivars are supposed to be more temperamental about where they are planted and less cold-hardy. This makes it all the more disappointing that I finally got about 6 plants to come back and the critters eat them down to the stems every year! I can pot them up for you in the fall.

On a more positive note, there is a plant I really like that is doing well in my garden and seems to be unpalatable to any critters - black mondo grass. I think I am going to begin underplanting some of my larger perennials, like my tree peonies, with it. Need to remind myself of the sun conditions it likes before I do.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Re: veronicastrum I love the shape and find the flower color really washed out and wimpy. Pink or purple, the color isn't pleasing to my eye.