Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cranberry Bogs Tour on the Cape or Mass?

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 16:33

Are there any cranberry bogs/places up on the Cape or Mass. to take a tour? Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cranberry Bogs Tour on the Cape or Mass?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 17:30

The Cranberry Harvest Celebration October 6 and 7, 2012 in Wareham, MA is a great event - you can take a tour of the bogs and even a helicopter ride if you want. I took my first (and maybe last) helicopter ride there in 2008.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Notice the white knuckles - that's when I realized I can focus the camera and shoot photos with one hand without releasing the death grip on the rail:

Of course you don't have to take the helicopter flight - it may not even be offered this year - there are many vendors and crafts and harvest displays.

Photo from 2008

Claire

o

Thanks! and thanks for the great pictures!

o

Claire, you should work for their C of C. Assuming no hurricane, I'm going. Thanks for asking the question, Ritchie, and Claire, good answer (as always).

Jane

o

Great photos and this is definitely on my bucket list!

o

We were on the Cape the week before the hurricane. We stay in South Yarmouth. I had never noticed this cranberry bog right on 28 - but we were driving by on Saturday morning and noticed all the floating cranberries. There were some lovely women selling fresh cranberries and they spent some time explaining what was going on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

CranberrryBog1

o

nice pictures, thanks!

o

In the Snippets page of BostonGardens.com we have posted info that may be of interest, including links to a couple of sites, one of which lists local bogs to visit.

See "About Cranberries." It will probably be removed by the end of November.

~ Hilda

Here is a link that might be useful: BostonGardens.com

o

For future reference - in September we took Betty Ann's Tour in the Plymouth area. She met us at the Plymouth visitors center and then we followed her to several bogs. She knows a lot about cranberries and bogs and has permission to visit the bogs. At one point we drove on a very sandy farm road. Only mistake was to go on a sunday in late September when the crews weren't working. She said later in the season they would be working 7 days a week.

o

Thanks all, this is definitely a post I"ll be saving as we hope to head to the Cape and Katsura Gardens in fall of next year. This would make a really interesting side trip. Plus, I've always wanted to return to Plimoth Plantation.

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here