Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Anyone been to Tower Hill Botanical in Worcester?

bill_ri_z6b
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has been to Tower Hill Botanical Gardens in Worcester, MA and if so, what you thought of it. I'm thinking it would be short day trip from Providence, but wondering what it's like. The website makes it look promising. Any thoughts are welcome.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (20)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Hi Bill, I have been there a couple times and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great day trip and not so huge that you can't cover it without tons of time. I would definitely recommend a visit there. I've added my picasa album from a couple years ago from this time of year. It was a great day trip for grandma, my son and I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tower hill July 2011

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I have a membership to Tower Hill and go quite a bit. If you go over to the gallery, I posted photos from a couple of my trips last summer.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. It looks interesting. Pixie lou, I went to the gallery, but I don't know how to find your photos.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Here's a link to the thread with Pixie Lou's photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixie Lou's photos

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

Bill, maybe you went to the generic GW Gallery? pixie_lou posted in the New England Gardening Gallery - switch at the top of the usual page from Discussions to Gallery to Exchanges.

That's where nhbabs found the link.

Claire

• Started_with_bean
    10 years ago

There is currently a Groupon deal still ongoing for admissions, $13 for two, $27? for four.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the photos. Thanks Claire.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

We visited Tower Hill last year or the year before for their spring sale. I think I had built it up in my mind and my expectations were a little high. I was a little disappointed that it was not as extensive as I was expecting. I think my idea of a botanical garden is along the lines of the New York Botanical Garden. Unreasonable I realize. Especially since I've only seen photos of it. (g) But just to prepare anyone thinking of going.

• ginny12
    10 years ago

Tower Hill is absolutely beautiful and certainly one of the top gardens in New England. It has a gorgeous view as well. No one should miss it who lives within two hours or who is an avid gardener from anywhere.

You can sign up for their free online newsletter to hear about the frequent garden events they hold.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

PM2 makes a really good point. It is on the smaller side as botanical gardens go.

It has some really well-done elements. I would imagine the hydrangea allee would be blooming now. Makes me want to jump in the car for a look-see!

10 years ago

I signed up for the free online newsletter (thanks, ginny12) and just got my first issue. There's a Daylily Exhibition on Saturday, July 20th, from 1:30-4:30 pm.

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the information.

Claire, I have plans for Saturday (my birthday.........don't even want to think about another year older!) and I also understand that the weather may not be so good that day. I think that when the weather is a bit cooler I will plan a trip to Tower Hill.

• Sami56
    10 years ago

Definitely worth the trip, lovely woodland walk, formal gardens and usually something interesting going on in the greenhouse ( it's really an, oh what is that word? Orangtarium?) LOL anyway I would reccomend you go!

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Bill - I thought of you today when I went to Tower Hill. There whole entryway garden - as you walk from the parking lot, thru the gazebo, to the visitors center - is all done in cacti and succulents. It was pretty interesting.

Also, the garden area in front of the visitor center is lots of vegetable - such as bolted lettuce. Again pretty interesting. (Jane - I thought of you with your wild lettuce).

My biggest thrill was seeing that my tropical hibiscus and my castor beans were the same size as THBG's, if not bigger.

I'll try to get pictures posted this weekend. I'll probably post them in the gallery, and I'll come back here and post a link.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Got my photos posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: THBG - August 2013 photos - in the gallery

10 years ago

Thanks for the photos, pixie_lou. I still haven't got around to going to Tower Hill but it's definitely on the list. The cacti/succulent area is startling for New England (and beautiful) and I really like those black tomatoes. I could see an arbor with black tomatoes dangling all over.

The newsletter says there's an Herb Show next weekend, August 10 and 11.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Claire - if you belong to Heritage Gardens in Sandwich, (did you mention you were a member there?) you can get reciprocal admission to Tower Hill. It's pretty much exactly 90 miles away!

While we were there, my daughter picked up the calendar of events. So I figured I'd post some of them here if people are interested.

Aug 10-11 Herb Show
    Aug 24-25 Summer Vegetable and Flowe Show
    Sep 8 New England Rose Show
    Sep 14-15 Cactus and Succulent Show
    Sep 21-22 Begonia and Gesneriad Show
    Oct 5-6 Ikebana International Show
    Oct 12-14 Harvestival
    Nov 1-3 Orchid Show

10 years ago

Just got an email from Tower Hill and they have lots of February vacation events.

But I'll bet Bill will be interested in the Massachusetts Camellia Society's 185th Annual Camellia Show March 1 and 2.

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Claire, the camellia show sounds interesting. 185 years.........wow! I hope they have kept up with developments in the camellia world and now encourage more New Englanders to plant the newer hardy varieties. These plants are really beautiful and no longer limited to those lucky enough to have a greenhouse or conservatory.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

I'm in! I've marked my calendar for march 2nd. Claire, thanks for posting this!