Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verysmc

Fast growing hedge Western MA? Nurseries in the area??

VerySMC
10 years ago

Need some advice...I need a fast growing hedge to cover over an unsightly chainlink fence. (I attached a pic of the pool--the rain water has been pumped out and it will be painted navy this weekend) I've read mixed reviews of the hybrid willow on the internet and would appreciate some advice as i am not much of a gardener. I called 2 nurseries in western ma and neither had even heard of the hybrid willow, much less sell it. Can anyone recommend a nursery in the Berkshires that would carry this tree? (FYI- the perimeter of the pool is 240').
Thanks all.

Comments (7)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I don't think I would put a willow here. They have a reputation of having roots that find their way into underground pipes, so if any of the pool plumbing is underground they may be a problem. However, if you still want to go with your willows, there are lots of willows, ranging from trees to low-growing shrubs. Just saying hybrid willow just means that it is a cross between two willow species, but without a name you probably won't find a nursery that can help you. (Kind of like asking for a mixed-breed dog without specifying what size, color, or breeds involved.)

In order to get some good suggestions, you probably need to provide some more information.
    -Do you have a goal beyond hiding the chain link such as providing privacy? Painting chain link black helps it fade into the background.
    -How high do you want any plants? Are you willing to prune it a couple of times a year to keep it at that height?
    -Are you willing to plant something other than a willow?
    -Would you consider evergreens?
    -Would you consider vines instead of shrubs?
    -Will you be planting inside or outside the fence or both?
    -Are deer an issue in your area?
    -Does it need to be a plant? I've seen thin bamboo fence (the kind that rolls up) fastened to a chain link fence to camouflage it (you could even fasten both sides) and then you have more flexibility as to what, if anything, you plant along the fence. Here's a photo I took on a recent garden tour using added bamboo fencing. In most areas there were plantings in front of it, both in large pots and in the ground. The older sections just faded into the background of the garden in front of it, but I imagine you could stain it or seal it to keep the brighter color instead of letting it weather to a grayer tone.

• VerySMC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NHBABS--thank you for your reply. I have read about this issue with the "hybrid willow" attacking water lines/piping--this is a huge concern. We plan on possibly listing the house next year or sooner; thus requiring a pretty quick solution (vs a tree/shrub that will take several years to grow to a proper hedge). To address your questions...

-privacy is not an issue as we are set back on 100 acres. We have looked into painting the chain link green or black but it still lacks any charm. We will however paint it green before adding a hedge so the steel doesnt "stick out".

-The gate is around 4ft tall; I would like 5-6 feet to cover the fence and add some wow factor. I would definitely be willing to prune it.

-i chose willow bc i read so much about the rapid growth. i would be willing to explore any option that is affordable and will provide results in 1yrs time. Unfortunately for me, im a city girl who doesnt know much about the gardening or the options avail to me.

-ive seen picture of evergreens that make amazing hedges. im concerned about the rate of growth. How long would it take to create a 5ft hedge using evergreens?

-I dont know much about vines but am concerned that it wont provide uniform coverage and the gate will still show. This is something we do plan to attempt along with some wisteria to add some charm to the chain link around our tennis court (which needs a lot of work as well--but thats another can of worms).

-we plan on planting outside the fence.

-I hardly ever see deer on the property...plenty of turkeys, foxes...a bear now and then but no deer.

-i like the bamboo in the photo but i think too much of it wont add anything visually--the pool is very large, approx 240' in diameter. I also looked into snow fencing which you often see in beach areas. im concerned that neither will hold up. plus with the number of properties lingering on the market in the area, i really want to do something that adds more sales appeal and doesnt "look" like a quick fix.

We looked into changing it to a farm style wood fence but with removing the steel posts and adding new posts and wood fencing along with dealing with town approvals, the cost and hassle deterred us.

Im attaching pictures of "hybrid willow" that i find appealing, if you could help me identify the proper name and a nursery in the area that sells it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

• VerySMC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another type of "hybrid willow" i need assistance identifying...

I found both on naturehills.com, an online nursery. they did not id the trees on the site. they just refer to them as "hybrid willow"

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

arbor vitaes grow quickly, especially if you fertilize them a few times a year. I was just googling and found a place online - they will deliver and install 6' arbor vitaes for $59 a piece. To cover 240' of fence, you will need 60-80 of them - depending if you want to space them 3 or 4 feet apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: arbor vitae link

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Nice property! You can get a list of all the nurseries in the state on line - one such site is at http://www.nurserytrees.com/States/state%20Massachusetts.htm. If that's not complete - I didn't check carefully, I just googled MA nurseries - there are others that might be better.

If I were looking for recommendations I'd ask at either the Smith College Arboretum or at one of the garden clubs out that way - I think there's a big one around Lenox. Or talk to the master gardeners in your area - the link is below.

Re hybrid willow - I could not id the plants from those photos. But really, you might not want to shop at on line nurseries that don't identify their plants! These look like weed trees, and anyone who cares about the chain link fence might be turned off by seeing a lot of them on the property.

Most trees have done most of their growing by this point in the year, so if you're putting the place on the market in the spring you may need to plant something that's close to the size you need to cover the fence. Something like privet can grow really fast and might be less invasive in western MA than it is here. If it was watered consistently it could possibly keep putting on growth through the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: MA master gardeners

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I am sorry, but you won't find a plant that will make a good hedge in a year unless you are willing to spend the $$$$$ to buy a large number of large plants, have them planted, and care for them. I would plant a row of arborvitae around the fence, perhaps on 4 or 5 foot centers and put something decorative like bamboo or wood panels or perennials in between just to add variety while the arborvitaes grow. It will be clear to the prospective buyers that this will be a hedge in a few years, where the row of willows will look like a future problem that will need removing to folks with any experience with gardening.

I honestly think that a row of willows will be more of a detriment that a help in selling the house because of their reputation, their tendency to always look like a bad hair day, and disease issues. Even willows won't make a good hedge in a year.

• VerySMC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the advice.

pixie lou--thank you for the suggestion. The price is doable and they make a beautiful hedge when trimmed properly. im going to look into this option.