Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

Endless Summer Hydrangeas flopping over

tulipsmiles
12 years ago

My ES Hydrangeas seem to have weak stems and those with blooms on them are flopping over, to the ground. All the blooms are touching the ground and a few tall pointy stems, that dont have blooms are standing straight up.

It never seemed to do this in years past. It is about 5 years old. I'm trying to think of what I did differently this year, but can come up with anything. It's not a matter of the blooms being wet and heavy, or even a droopy/thirsty plant. Also, I have noticed hydrangeas that are also doing the same "flopping to the ground" as I drive around. Does anyone else see this? It's as if there is are blue blooms that encircle the plant on the ground. Does anyone else have this issue and is there a remedy? I really love the large bushy hydrangeas with blooms all over!

One other question is: As I notice all the ES Hydrangeas near me, some have a very nice rounded habit. I'm assuming that is due to shaping with a hedge trimmer? I wouldn't do this to my Hydrangeas, but do you think some people do? How else can they get that perfect round shape? Mine are very asymetrical - in height and width - which is fine - I'm just wondering if I'm missing some prunning/shaping technique.

Thanks for you input.

TS

Comments (14)

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Some of my mopheads are flopping, although ES might not be (I haven't looked at it closely lately). I believe that the very wet spring we had resulted in too-fast growth, long and somewhat weak wood in this year's flowering branches.

I've staked a few of them, which isn't an easy thing to do because the stakes have to be pretty hefty.

I've seen this before. Next year, if it's drier, some of the flowers may be "inside" the foliage, because the new stems will be comparatively short (for some reason I'm having a hard time describing this!). I think that makes this a good year for harvesting lots of flowers, on long stems.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, banish the thought of a hedge trimmer from anywhere in the vicinity of a hydrangea. When a hedge trimmer is within a mile, the hydrangea turns into a meatball.

I was just reading Dirr's wonderful book on hydrangeas, and he developed ES and helped get it to the public. If I have a few minutes tonight, I'll reread what he says about trimming back ES and its offspring, and write back. But I'm sure someone here can tell you in the meanwhile. But I know the short answer is you can cut back ES and it will still bloom and be less floppy than if left unpruned.

In New England most hydrangeas do just fine in part sun and some shade.

DTD may be right on. But did you fertilize this spring? They don't need fertilizer.

Idabean

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Tulipsmiles,
    I really did not read your post carefully, and I apologize for giving you advice you didn't ask for or need and writing as though you were going to make a meatball of your shrub.

There are sometimes when people (me) should just read and shut up.
    Idabean

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

My ES is symmetrical, probably because it dies back to where ever the snow was when it got really cold, most often ground level. Perhaps yours has different growing conditions so that it doesn't grow evenly or winter sheltering is influenced by buildings or plants so that winter survival of branches is irregular and the branches start the growing season at different lengths.

I am not experiencing flopping on ES, only on Annabelle (a type of H. arborescens) which by nature has stems a bit too weak for the large size of the flowerheads.

• runktrun
    12 years ago

2lips,
    I think your ES is flopping and not symmetrical because it is a gangly teenager. Give it another year or two.
    kt

• ego45
    12 years ago

If you truly inclined to get an answer to 'floppy' mopheads macrophillas then wait untill autumn when leaves will fall off and skeleton of the shrub will be revealed.
    You'll discover that 'flopping' canes are those that are
    -a)growing on a periphery of shrub and
    -b)thinner and weaker than those close to the center and
    -c)1 year old.

Solution:
    -during the spring clean-up remove all those ground huging canes and canes growing at angle of less than 45 degrees to the ground level,(This suggestion especially helpfull for ES.)
    and as a part of regular maintanance for healthy and productive macrophillas
    -remove all 4-5 years old canes from the center or at least shorten them to the lowest pair of strong pair of buds, but don't leave more than 12-15" of the old wood. Thus you'll be giving way to new strong vertical canes to grow from the center.

• tulipsmiles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the info and advice. Idabean, no need to apoligize!! I really do appreciate anyone who responds, taking the time to help me.

I have included a pic that I was finally able to post.
    Ego 45, as I view my pic and then your detailed directions above, (thank you!) It seems you are right on. I think it will be much more spherical in shape and therefor stronger.

Here is the photo: Please disregard the weeds!!

• runktrun
    12 years ago

Again in my mind a teenager. Be patient time will improve stem strength and overall shape.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

tulipsmiles, can you resize that photo on photobucket? Its large size makes it impossible to read the thread without scrolling back and forth on every line. Thanks - DtD

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

tulipsmiles - mine is doing the same thing. Everything is down except for a couple of stems without blooms and one stem with one huge bloom. Mine is about 4 years old, but didn't do much until the third year.

One stem is woody and still flopped - it's bent pretty close to the bottom. It does however have about 5 blooms on it, so I guess even the woody stem couldn't hold them up. I was admiring the bush one day. The next day I looked outside and most of it was down! I don't think it had even rained that night.

• richdelmo
    12 years ago

I have two ES up against my house facing North. They are both flopped and have been for the past few years. I know they don't like alot of sun but these get very little so I'm wondering if could they be stretching for sunlight causing them to flop.

• siennact
    12 years ago

Mine is flopping also. It is full grown and does not usually do this. I think it grew too much, too fast in the spring due to the rain. It was in its normal, unflopped state until a few weeks ago. The Nikko Blues are not flopping and did not grow as much.

• tmalcorn
    8 years ago

Please excuse the beverage! My hydrangeas always look like this till the first summer downpour, then they all hang towards or on the ground

The pruning described sounds involved, we're lucky if we get them pruned at all! When we do get it done in the fall, we find it does best to cut back in a 45 degree angle. That way the closes to the front are shortest and less 'floppy'. I've tried the low metal boarder fencing on some endless summer hydrangeas. They still gather at the bottom, but at least don't hit the ground.