Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

So we're moving!

We are moving. Now what do I do about my Garden Web name? I won't be in NH anymore! I thought I would be here for the rest of my life, but the Lord had other ideas, and overall it will be a wonderful change.

To make a VERY long story short, my husband's employer was slowly sinking into a serious mental illness that manifested in some fairly frightening and aggressive ways. By the time somebody finally got him to a doctor the doctor threatened to commit him against his will if he didn't voluntary enter a 24/7 treatment facility. It was only marginally successful, he stayed only a week, and when he returned to work the whole office walked out. All the dentists in the office never returned, faxing in immediately notices of resignation. He has since lost his license and the practice had to be sold.

We saw this as an opportunity to start from scratch. We chose to move up here, but we didn't know much about different places in New England. Now we know more about what we want and what makes us happy. It was a very long process of looking at many opportunities, and there are many because most areas have a pretty serious dental shortage. Long story made short, we bought a practice in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Husband has already been there working, and eventually we need to get our house ready to sell (help me, please, Lord) and move. It was easier moving 1000 miles because you JUST DO IT! Moving 2-3 hours down the road is harder because you can drag things out.

I will be sad to leave this house, but excited to be in Boothbay. If I could only just airlift my house and gardens over there! Last summer we had started building a garage and I had started a serious garden expansion. Luckily we stopped the garden project before I had installed any permanent garden features, but needless to say all that will have to become lawn. It's been a roller coaster of a ride and I have been so busy working on paperwork for the sale that I have totally neglected the garden--TOTALLY. I am finally motivated and have done some weeding and rearranging, and making a list of my favorite plants that I MUST take with me.

And, just like this house when we bought it four years ago, the house we'll be going to has a seriously neglected garden. Time to begin rejuvenating again! Clearly at one time there was a gardener (and I know who she was and how to get in touch with her :-D Yea!) so I'll have some gems to discover. I'll also be posting many, "What in the heck is this?" photos soon. There is a beautiful 3' japanese maple in the backyard surrounded by weeds. It will be a nice place to start!

The practice we bought has an attached house, so we'll be living right at the office. I homeschool and dad will work right at the house, so it could make for some great family time.

Boothbay is such a fun place. The beautiful Maine Botanical Gardens are there, so if anybody comes for a visit, give me a shout. I'll surely be going there for some inspiration. And, I'll be moving from the 5/4 garden zone boundary to 6a. I wonder if I'll be able to get rosemary to overwinter outside.

I've been absent, but now I'm back. It's nice to be excited about gardening again!

Comments (15)

• molie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just read your post tonight. My husband and I are heading to Boothbay Harbor for a few days next week --- and also planning to visit the Maine Botanical Gardens! It's a beautiful area and I'm sure you'll come to love it. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your husband and family. Plus, now you have a whole new zone to explore!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Sounds like after a rather rough patch, you have a great new opportunity! Are you moving soon? Will you get to play in the new garden for a good part of the season this year?

Please post lots of pics. Always fun to see a new garden!

Best of luck with the move!
    Dee

• hunt4carl
    11 years ago

Good news, deanna: you probably WILL be able to overwinter some
    rosemary. . .I posted a link below to a nursery (in Zone 6a) which has
    an enviable collection of rosemary, over 40 varieties. . .it might
    require a somewhat "sheltered" location, but it can be done !

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Well-Sweep Herb Farm

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Deanna, missed you and your daughters at the last NH Plant Swap. Best wishes for a wonderful new adventure in your new home. It is certainly a beautiful area. There are so many places to discover. How fortunate that you can contact the former owner/gardener and how lucky to have a Japanese maple already in place.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

This should be a lovely new garden and home (once you've got the sale and move out of the way). Maybe you could spread out the move by driving a few loads of plants and stuff at a time, making interesting stops along the way to show your kids the territory. I moved from NYC to MA partly by using a rented van every few weeks. The last trip was by truck with the big stuff.

However you move, I'm sure you'll be happy in Boothbay with the stress of that awful working situation gone.

Claire

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Deanna,

So happy you found a home, and what a great time to be moving into it during the harvest season! I guess you will be harvesting many things besides crops this year.

Congratulations to you and your family. As most of us know, Boothbay HARBOR is a treasure OF A TOWN to live IN.

Blake

• terrene
    11 years ago

Hope you enjoy your new home. I think you can keep your user name, and if you put zone and state afterwards, people will get the idea. Or you could change it to deanna_in_ME!

Is that botanical garden the one that William Cullina went to? He moved from the New England Wildflower Society and went somewhere up in Maine.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Deanna - I am so glad to hear that your unpleasant situation has been resolved. It must have been a difficult time while things were in process, and I am sure that you will have more time of upheaval while going through the process of getting the house prepared for sale and then sold. Best wishes for a smooth transition. Being on the coast should be lovely and fall will be a good time to transition plants to the new garden. I imagine the former owner will be delighted that someone will be caring for and about the garden once again.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your new home in Maine, Deanna! It sounds like things are falling into place for you guys. It is a shame to leave your home in NH (and especially your beautiful bright custon-made shutters!) but I'm sure you will make your new gardens and home look just as beautiful! Best of luck with the move!

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

The shutters! Of course. Now I remember, lol, I like them. What a lovely outcome to a unfortunate situation. Wish you and your family the very best. Boothbay Harbor? Good grief...how bad is that? Excellent!

Kindly,
    Jane

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Deanna,
    Moving can be a nightmare I'm sure, but then there's that sense of a new adventure to compensate. And for us gardeners, the added anticipation of growing new plants. In your case going up nearly two zones will be exciting. I have overwintered two varieties of rosemary here in 6B. One is "Arp" and the other is "Barbeque". The latter tends to grow straight and rather stiff stems, good for rosemary skewers. I think with a little protected microclimate you will have success. I don't know if you read any of my posts, but I tend to push the limits a bit here on hardiness, and I'm not so popular here with the "traditional" New England gardeners. Nevertheless, I plant what I like and some people here have said nice things. But I grow cacti, many succulents, yuccas, camellias, figs, clerodendron, southern magnolia and jasmine, to name a few. Sure I have the rhododendron, dogwoods, cherries, azaleas, iris, penstemon, daylilies, etc. but I do also like to "mix it up" a bit!

So..........best of luck with the move and all that will be new to you. It may be a task to renovate that garden but you can put your signature on it and grow some things that would have been impossible in NH.

{{gwi:5901}}

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. Bill, thanks for the rosemary varieties, and Carl thanks for the link, too. I'm pretty excited about having that year round!

Yes, terrene, William Cullina did go to the Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. I've still been too swamped with work getting the business things straightened out to go visit, but i can't wait. They must have had some SERIOUS FUNDING!

We hope to get the kids in some sailing lessons in August, so I hope we can get things settled enough to get that started! I had to make 28 phone calls just today between vendors and software people trying to work out bugs in the set up. Eventually I'll be able to be a mom and gardener again. Time for a massage!!

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Deanna,

Sailing lessons, thats great! I hope you sign yourself for some sailing lessons too!

So how much sun in this new yard do you have?

Blake

• molie
    11 years ago

Deanna, we just returned from our trip to Boothbay where we made sure to visit the Botanical Gardens. They are amazing, enough so that we plan to return. Besides the glory of the gardens and how they relate to their environment, the staff there is very informative and fun to talk to. When I told one I loved the place so much I'd volunteer if I lived closer, she said that they have hundreds of volunteers! In one of the themed areas we met a woman from Boothbay who told us she visits the gardens regularly as kind of a mini-restorative retreat. I can understand why.

In my opinion, you certainly are moving to a "little part of heaven." There is so much about the whole Boothbay area to love!

Molie

• ginny12
    11 years ago

Deanna, good luck with your move and keep posting here as you plant your new garden. Boothbay Harbor is gorgeous!