Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

OT: Ogunquit recommendations

WendyB 5A/MA
13 years ago

3 friends and I are meeting for day trip for lunch, walking and shopping in Ogunquit this week. Any recommendations on great eateries or shopping?

2 of them know the area somewhat, but not great.

Any good garden centers along route 1 that I can check out on my way?

Comments (9)

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Not a garden center but wonderful garden statuary. It's just south of Pie in the Sky on Rt 1 (Cape Neddick?). The shop is crammed but most of the garden art is outside along pathways in their garden. Nice shade if it's a hot day. I saw a fountain I wanted but my budget didn't allow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Wendy, we've made trips to Ogunquit and have eaten in a few restaurants. Haven't done a lot of shopping there. We have enjoyed the food and the view in Perkin's Cove at Barnacle Billy's. I don't think you can go wrong with their seafood. Really nice setting and outdoor seating too if you want that. If you wanted really high end dining, Arrows is up there. It is very expensive. We've eaten there once for a special occasion about 8 years ago and it was excellent. Can't say how it is recently. If you shop for candy when you are there, we thought the Candy Shop near the center was better than the one in Perkin's Cove. I don't know if you have considered that you go right past Kittery on your way up there, where all the outlets are. There's a seafood take out restaurant called Bob's Clam Hut on that same road past the outlets that is very good. It might be a place to stop on your way home. Have a great time!

• bostongardens
    13 years ago

Wendy,

Arrows is special for sure! If nothing else, visit their gardens. They sponsor special "theme" dinners throughout the year.

Once, they invited Barbara Damrosch and Eliot Coleman as special guests. Barbara had chef duties in the kitchen while Eliot charmed the diners with his gardening anecdotes.

Less expensive than Arrows is MC Perkins Cove, also owned by Mark and Clark. It is next to the water with lovely views.

Enjoy! ~ Hilda

• ginny12
    13 years ago

We used to enjoy Hurricane's in Perkins Cove. Loved the views from that restaurant. I know Hurricane's moved--does anyone know what is in that location now? I'd almost eat tofu to look out those windows again.

• terrene
    13 years ago

An ex-boyfriend and I used to visit Ogunquit and it's a nice place to visit. I am a long time veggie and natural foods person, so we decided to visit this natural foods restaurant in Cape Neddick called Franky & Johnnys (not a vegetarian restaurant). The place is kind of a hole in the wall and I wasn't too impressed when we arrived. But the food was AMAZING. Absolutely fantastic. I could not believe his culinary skill. May not work with your schedule, they only serve dinner Wed-Sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frankie & Johnny's

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well thanks for all your tips. Unfortunately, we picked rainy yukcy yesterday for our trip. So we have rescheduled for August. I printed out all these tips and will save them. Thanks again.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

wendy, my recs are hilda's (bostongardens). we just went to ogunquit yesterday and had excellent lunch at MCPerkins Cove. Lovely clean modern blonde interior with full wall of windows onto the abutting beach and cove.(Ginny, I think this is where Hurricane's was)It's small and quiet; not a big tourist 'scene'.Quite a view and exc.International bistro casual food (not a burger or fried clams place).Highly recommend; lunch to 3:30.
    best,
    mindy

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mindy. I've been really wondering about that restaurant. But...what's wrong with fried clams?!! Yum. The Clam Box in Ipswich or Woodman's in Essex are heaven on earth.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

We were thinking of trying this restaurant on a hoped for day trip soon and I googled it to get the telephone number and hit upon a link to reviews at the top of the page instead. Curious to see what others said, I checked it out. Some people rave about it and some express disappointment. Thought I might as well share the link here.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCPerkins Reviews