Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant now for next May?

Posted by zahzeen 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 19:28

I received quite a few seed packages from Fran earlier last month at her swap that I would like to plant now so they will be salable next May (Thanks, Fran!). I found a website (jelitto.com) that gives approximate times from sowing to germination; germination to transplant; transplant to salable plant. The three I picked to start now (rather than WS) should bloom the first year based on the internet research I did. They are also sun/part shade. But, that research is not as good as my New England neighbors real life experiences.

The three I picked were:
Candy Lily - 14 minimum to 22 maximum weeks sow to salable
Balloon Plant - 12 to 17 weeks sow to salable
Lupine - 12 to 21 weeks sow to salable

So based on the minimums, if I sow them this weekend,they should be salable by the around the end of September/early October and I can just leave them in their pots over the winter and then sell them in May. Anyone have any comments or advice? I also received some money plants, foxglove and disco belle seeds but will probably try to WS these. The chives and garlic chive seeds I received will be part of my August 1st herb experimental planting. I can't remember who suggested that but I bought or received 15 kinds of perennial herb seeds that I'll be starting next month. Of course I'll be asking for help/advice about that a little later in the month!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant now for next May?

Plant the foxglove now as well. It's a biennial or short-lived perennial and if you don't plant it now, it won't be blooming size next year IME.

o

Hi nhhabs,

Thank you very much for your response. I'm going to start a new post about biennials or short term perennials, I'm not sure they are the right plant to sell to benefit Children's Hospital if they live for maybe only a year. I really appreciate your input.

But you think the other are OK?

Marlene

o

Foxgloves are WONDERFUL and although an individual plant only blooms one season, they're certainly worth selling at a fundraiser, as long as they're correctly identified as biennials. For one thing, they'll self-sow, if not deadheaded completely, and for another, they have an incredibly long bloom season, if they're deadheaded gently. Sorry, I know you said you'd deal with biennials in another thread, but I had to weigh in on this here!

Also, aren't some lupines biennial? Or was that a myth that was dispelled on another thread a few months (years?) back?

o

The lupines I have are biennial, but I am not sure if they are true biennials or it's that they are a favorite of the voles, and once they get large enough, they become dinner.

My foxgloves were a year end thank you from a family years ago when I was still teaching, and they have persisted for more than 10 years. I think of that family every summer as they bloom. I agree with DtD that as long as folks know that they are biennial and that they can leave them to seed a bit and have new plants succeeding years, or that if they cut off the bloom stems that they MIGHT have them last another year or two, they would be fine to sell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here