Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Flowering Tree near Boylston St/Fenway in Boston?

Posted by arbo_retum z5 WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 19:37

I was driving past last week and noticed a very large (20-30'H) round canopied tree with pea foliage and golden flowers- in front of a New Eng conservatory building/rowhouse (somewhere to the right of the large Mass Historical Society headquarters) off Boylston St./Fenway in Boston. Does anyone know if this is a laburnum or what? a long shot but it can't hurt to ask!
thanks much,
mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Flowering Tree near Boylston St/Fenway in Boston?

Mindy, could it be the Golden Rain Tree
Koelreuteria paniculata ? They're showy when in full bloom.
Bill

o

I agree with Bill. It sounds exactly like the Golden Rain Tree. Interestingly, I believe this is an invasive tree down south, particularly in Florida where it might be illegal to plant?

o

Laburnum is in the pea family. is Koelreuteria? Pea foliage is very distinctive, so you may have seen a Laburnum.

And laburnum common name is Golden Chain Tree and Keoleuteria is Golden Rain tree (or do I have them backwards?) common names are way too close!!

But the flowers are quite different so a google image search should clarify.

o

thank youall; it MUST be a golden rain tree, koelreuteria, unless there is another yellow flowering z.6 hardy tree.
I just thought it might be something different because i have TWO of these darn trees and they have never flowered ANYWHERE near the abundance and deep gold of the flowers i saw on this tree. phoooooey.i'm going to cry now.
mindy

o

OK there are named varieties of Golden Rain tree that can have quite varied flowering performance. You may have seen a preferred variety.
As for Laburnum, while it is a very showy tree and does have trefoil leaves, it would not be in bloom at this time. It flowers in May generally in our area.

Bill

o

Bill is correct. The Golden Chain tree is a spring bloomer, not mid summer. Moreover, the Golden Chain tree is generally a small tree. Mindy is describing something much larger.

o

I was just in that neighborhood this morning. DD and I went to the Mapporium, then we had lunch at Crazy Doughs. I specifically brought my camera to take a picture of the tree - to aid in the ID for this thread. But lo and behold, I could not find a tree with yellow flowers on that section of Boylston Street.

o

pixie, well if you aren't the nicest thing! i'm guessing it's gone by, but i will check it as well when i'm next in town. thank you so much for thinking of me!
best,
mindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here