Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

My cat is a homeschooler

Our 1-year old cat had kittens 9.5 weeks ago. Yes, we wanted kittens, and we are keeping 2 of the five. The others went to the homes of friends. My neighbor also had kittens 2 weeks earlier than us and kept them all to keep the mice out of her barn. At six weeks her mama was getting tired of nursing 3 kittens and pushing them to be on their own. In contrast, at 8 weeks when it was time to give them away my mama wouldn't let them out of her sight. She actually moved them all down to the basement after a particularly loud day of visitors. She was totally into the nursing, totally over-protective, and showed no signs of wanting any of them to grow up.

So, we gave away three and kept two. Time for those two to learn to hunt. Does she take them outside? No way, too dangerous. Instead she has brought two mice, two baby snakes, three voles (though we only found 2.5) and 1 mole INTO THE BASEMENT to teach them to hunt. No lie. We see her prancing across the lawn with her fresh (and live) catch, then she marches right down into the bulkhead (and if it's not open through the house to the basement door) and places it in front of her remaining two kittens. Can we say TOTALLY OVERPROTECTIVE HOMESCHOOLER? We homeschool, so I don't know if she's continuing the family tradition or feeling the urge all on her own.

We are not, however, quite so overprotective with our kids. I do let my kids out of the basement, especially when it's time to catch some voles.

Comments (9)

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Deanna, love your sense of humor. Great post!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

"...I do let my kids out of the basement..."

Heh, heh...

I risk swift, harsh & immediate censure for saying this on a garden forum, but I'm not a cat person, at all. But that being said, I enjoyed this post and think it's very cool to see the behavior this cat exhibits. They certainly are interesting creatures.

I finally let MY kids out of the basement, one, to let them go to college, and two, because now that they are of college age, I wanted to renovate it for a space for myself!

;)
    Dee

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Don't overlook the value of playing in a safe place. One of my cats, a neutered male, also likes bringing his toys inside. Last year, he brought in a small garter snake, three or four chipmunks, and some mice. The garter snake was the easiest to deal with. That was simply a matter of disentangling it from the heating pipes, picking it up and taking it outside. The mice went the way of all mouse corpses. The chipmunks are the hardest. They have *no* house sense, cannot find their own way out, and won't go outside voluntarily after dusk.

We now keep the screen doors closed, and conduct 'mouth check' before letting cats in.

• runktrun
    11 years ago

deanna,
    I love, love, love, your story and you have one cool mama cat. So I think her actions of hyper helicopter parenting has earned her the nic name chopper. Please keep us updated if you see unusual kitten behaviors develop.

dee, dee, dee,
    I risk swift, harsh & immediate censure for saying this on a garden forum, but I'm not a cat person, at all.
    I have presented your totally wrong opinion of cats to the censure board that FYI is headed by a woman who calls herself Kitty! Good Luck. If you find yourself on the street without a forum to post on you might try and earn some extra cash to bribe your way back into our good graces you might consider sculpting. While at Brimfield last spring I did notice someone selling a cat sculpture made with actual cat fur.

ps how cool is the new image upload option!!!YIPPPEEE

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

Boy, oh, boy. I like cats, but that lint trap 'sculpture' looks way worse than anything my cat has ever dragged in. If that 'art' doesn't validate Dee's point, nothing will, hahaha.

Great little story, Deanna. Thanks for posting it. I agree with mad_gallica, chipmunks are definitely the hardest to get out of the house, so watch the cat's mouth when you let her in. Chipmunks are tough to teach.

Jane

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

LOL, Katy! You made me laugh out loud. I do think, however, that Jane had a point about that, ahem, lovely sculpture(?) and that you helped me make mine, lol.

I (unfortunately) work in an office with two outdoor cats, and it's amazing what they drag in. Who knew cats hunted squirrels? Our office is in a wooded setting and I always watch where I step on the way in and out because you never know what kind of little organ or tail or body part lying in the pathway you may step on/in. Sometimes the cats have come in with still-living creatures, and yes, the chipmunks do seem to be the most difficult to deal with. Not that I do it - I let my co-workers (cat people all of them) handle those situations.

Dee
    the dog person

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

The funniest part of that sculpture is that the living counterpart is lying next to the computer right now. It is shockingly similar to the chipmunk hunter.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, diggerdee, I thought I liked you.

JUST KIDDING!! I laugh at your awareness at what anti-cat sentiment can do in the garden world. Pretty funny. It never occurred to me until you wrote it, but that cat-love thing does seem to know no boundaries in the garden world between race, gender, socio-economic status, etc. Keep you head high as the standard bearer for the minority! My two dogs are pleased to have your support. They are beginning to feel a bit ignored. I told them that if they would just jump maniacally at bugs and strings then they would get attention, too.

Right now my kittens like to sleep in the empty bamboo-lined planters. I like to think I'm growing kittens in my basement as my indoor gardening project. My 12 yo daughter has decided she wants to be a cat breeder because kittens can be so darn cute.

Then they grow up.

I will be on watch for the chipmunk lesson. I might have to INSIST that one be taught outside. Thanks for the heads up! I'd prefer they all be outside. We didn't know we'd missed a vole until the smell was noticeable. Ewwww.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

LOL, Deanna, don't worry, I'm used to it. I've actually gotten dumbfounded looks with jaws hanging open as the person fumbles for words to try to comprehend the concept that I just don't like cats! It just seems to go hand-in-hand in most circles that if you garden, you must love cats.

Of course, cats, being the creatures that they are, can sense when someone does not like them, which only leads them to constantly, purposely, and insistently rub up against the legs of the person who does not like them. Which does nothing to change my feelings towards them...

;)
    Dee