Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone seen this on their japanese maple?

Posted by paulmur NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 21:17

Please see my picture. I don't know what it is. I planted this tree about a month ago. I may have been overwatering.
If you recognize this yellow growth on the branches please give me some advise.

Much appreciated.
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone seen this on their japanese maple?

Hi, Paul -

I can't be sure, but from the photo it looks to me like some type of lichen. Around here lichen is fairly common on tree bark and doesn't cause any harm. Since the leaves and bark on twigs looks healthy, it doesn't seem like it's a disease.

o

Hi, Paul,

I agree with nhbabs. Click on the article below to read about lichens. You can simply wash it off tenderly so as not to hurt the bark and it may not return with cooler weather prevailing in the near future (we hope).

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ. Delaware Coop Ext., lichens

o

Thank you so much. I see similar growths on my natural trees around here. I'm in the Catskills near Woodstock. Every year I lose about 5 trees for reasons I don't quite understand. I'm from the city so maybe I just don't get the natural cycle of the forest around here yet.

Anyway, thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here