Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: spider id?

Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 21:38

I posted this on the insects forum, but I thought a fellow New Englander might recognize it faster. We have three spiders living in a window. One household member is concerned they could be male black widows. Any ideas as to what they are? thanks!

photo IMG_8398.jpg

photo IMG_8399.jpg

photo IMG_8400.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: spider id?

I think you can upload an image to the id request page at bugguide.net, and you may get an id there. I tried google but didn't see this guy.

Otherwise, you could always relocate this one to a remote corner of your yard and hope for strong wind.

Here is a link that might be useful: id requests at bugnet

o

• Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 12:33

Thanks for the suggestion! I posted it at bugguide.net--let's hope someone can ID it.

o

Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 10:44

Digginginthedirt, I posted my picture and got an ID--it's a Steadota, either trianulosa or albomaculata. Not poisonous. Thanks again for the suggestion.

o

That must be a HUGE relief! I have to say I cannot remember seeing so many spiders as I have this year. I keep thinking I have web worms or tent caterpillars in my shrubs and garden plants but when I look closely, they have all been newly hatched hordes of baby spiders clambering happily around a dense web mama spider made for them. HUNDREDS of baby spiders. I keep thinking of Wilbur and Charlotte's Web ;)

o

Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:44

I agree that it's a big year for spiders--indoors for us! We always have small sac spiders in our house, but this year we've got more tiny jumping spiders as well as two other species I've never seen before. I'm not too nervous around spiders, but I like to know what I'm dealing with!

o

Yep, I'm with you!! One of our cats alerted us just last evening to a HUGE black spider perched on one of the kitchen chairs. That thing was at least 1-1.5 inches long if you count the legs. I think it was probably a wolf spider but I wasn't taking ANY chances! Grabbed my spider catcher (after a scream or two) and got that thing out of the house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here