Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

OT: spider id?

Lalala (zone 6b)
10 years ago

I posted this on the insects forum, but I thought a fellow New Englander might recognize it faster. We have three spiders living in a window. One household member is concerned they could be male black widows. Any ideas as to what they are? thanks!

Comments (6)

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

I think you can upload an image to the id request page at bugguide.net, and you may get an id there. I tried google but didn't see this guy.

Otherwise, you could always relocate this one to a remote corner of your yard and hope for strong wind.

Here is a link that might be useful: id requests at bugnet

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! I posted it at bugguide.net--let's hope someone can ID it.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Digginginthedirt, I posted my picture and got an ID--it's a Steadota, either trianulosa or albomaculata. Not poisonous. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

That must be a HUGE relief! I have to say I cannot remember seeing so many spiders as I have this year. I keep thinking I have web worms or tent caterpillars in my shrubs and garden plants but when I look closely, they have all been newly hatched hordes of baby spiders clambering happily around a dense web mama spider made for them. HUNDREDS of baby spiders. I keep thinking of Wilbur and Charlotte's Web ;)

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that it's a big year for spiders--indoors for us! We always have small sac spiders in our house, but this year we've got more tiny jumping spiders as well as two other species I've never seen before. I'm not too nervous around spiders, but I like to know what I'm dealing with!

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Yep, I'm with you!! One of our cats alerted us just last evening to a HUGE black spider perched on one of the kitchen chairs. That thing was at least 1-1.5 inches long if you count the legs. I think it was probably a wolf spider but I wasn't taking ANY chances! Grabbed my spider catcher (after a scream or two) and got that thing out of the house!