Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

It Is 10:02 pm. Do You Know Where Your Thunderstorm Is?

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

You have to be a "certain age" to remember this ad. But where is this magnificent thunderstorm that accompanies the 15 degree drop in temperature? I've been holding my breath since 1 p.m.
I gave up at 4 and decided to continue watering before all my shrubs became crispy critters.
Drank a vodka and tonic at 8:00 pm and stopped worrying.
Marie/Idabean

Comments (23)

• rockman50
    10 years ago

I had 2 big ones miss my area to the north. I sat outside tonight around 10 PM and watched some pretty spectacular cloud to cloud lightening from a very electric storm that formed near Providence and passed just to my north across interior SE Mass. I just want the temperature to drop below 70 at night. It hasn't done that all month. 60-65 would be awesome!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

It's a little after midnight and I'm still sitting here waiting. I just checked the weather report and it looks like the expected rain is quickly disappearing from the forecast.

Sigh....

I guess I'll be spending tomorrow morning dragging the hoses around the yard... again....

Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

As soon as I watered everything this evening, the thunderstorm hit with drenching rain. I think watering the gardens may be key to bringing the rain, like washing your car!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

lol spedigrees.

We had a brief shower around dinner time that didn't amount to much. Up too early and first thing I did was check the back porch for the temp and it's still over 80 degrees.

I never listen to the weatherman when he says 'showers' possible. Unless they specify we're going to get a downpour and 3 inches of rain or they offer an 80% chance of rain, I keep watering my garden. I've gotten caught too many times. I've been moving the sprinkler around the yard, two positions in the early morning and two positions at night. I'm almost caught up and it will be time to start over. (g)

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

I'm in the north end of Providence, and we got a huge downpour and lots of wind around 3:30PM. The power went out but came right back on after only a minute. But after a half hour it was over and the sun was back and the brief drop in temperature was over.............back to hot and muggy. There was a little more rain but lots of thunder and lightning around 9PM that lasted a while. It got slightly cooler but not what was expected. So although I won't have to water today, the A/C will have to stay on!

Marie, vodka and tonic.............sounds like a plan!

{{gwi:5901}}

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Like PM2, we only had a brief shower at supper time, just enough to wet the pavement and grass, but not enough to soak in.

However, the air is definitely cooler and drier today than it's been for more than a week, so I'll be heading out into the garden.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

Impressive lightning and thunder around 10:30 PM Saturday night with some rain here in Plymouth, MA. It lasted maybe a half hour and cooled things down a little bit but it was still muggy and warm.

No AC here, we practically never need it by the coast (except for this year). Tonight is supposed to go down to 64 degrees! Unless they change their minds again - it's been creeping up from a forecast of 59 degrees at one point.

Much better this morning here on the deck.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:13

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Spedigrees, you are absolutely, 100% right. It never rains until you water the garden!

Funny, yesterday about 4PM it got dark and there was one big clap of thunder, and three minutes later the sun was out. DH came home from his parents a few towns over, and when I mentioned that I hoped it would rain, he looked at me in surprise and said, "Didn't it rain here?" Well, turns out ten miles away they had a downpour that lasted about half an hour and deposited quite an amount of water! But no, not here.

This morning it's a tad cooler maybe, but still humid and we will see how it is in the afternoon. In the meantime, time to get off my butt and go start dragging those hoses....

Dee

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

It wasn't a thunderstorm, but we finally have rain here. The ground is soaked. Yay. I don't have to water today. Boo. I had planned on spending the day at the beach.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Soaking, torrential rains here since the wee hours. And darn!! I was looking at my beautiful gladiolus yesterday thinking "I should stake those". They're all toppled over this morning. Maybe I'll be lucky when the rain subsides and I can get them back up and perky! Hope they're not broken.
    Moved a lot of perennials yesterday and watered them in well, but still I'm really happy with this nice soaker this morning!

Except.....I now have no excuse not to clean the house!

10 years ago

A few drops, but so far all of the rain has stayed north of here. It apparently rained in North Plymouth, but I'm in South Plymouth (this is a long, stretched-out town). Unless some storms form this afternoon I'll have to water again today or tomorrow.

I can always find an excuse not to clean the house. I think I'll go stake up some grasses....

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Continuous pouring rain here, all last night and predicted to continue all day. Glad we finished the mowing yesterday!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Finally a downpour and even some while the sun was out. No watering this week.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Yay! Got a torrential downpour this afternoon, so that should hold us for awhile.

Funny, if you had told me a few short weeks ago that I'd be happy it rained, I would have have never believed it!

:)
    Dee

10 years ago

Still waiting. I watered some of the garden this afternoon and I'll do more tomorrow if necessary. The weather map shows a line of storms heading this way, but they have a tendency to part like the Red Sea when they get this far....

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

We've had more than 5" of rain in the last two days. We have water standing where it normally only puddles when the ground is frozen in spring. The mosquitos are vigorous enough that I think I'm anemic after spending part of yesterday out in the garden once it stopped raining. I would love to send a few of our thunderstorms farther south.

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Yes! Happy to not have to water this week too!

-Tina

10 years ago

The line of storms shown on the map yesterday evening dissipated before they got here. Wimps.

I watered most of the rest of the garden today, particularly the volunteer winterberries I moved across the street. I added an extension to the hose which just barely reaches them when I use a spray nozzle on a jet setting - much better than carrying watering cans over there.

I also hosed down the car to see if that would help bring rain.

The Weather Underground weather map shows a few storms around Newport and New Bedford that could move in this direction....

Hey, that was close! The storm passed only a few miles to the south along the Cape Cod Canal! Got maybe twenty raindrops.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:20

10 years ago

A new storm developed and it's raining seriously! Ten minutes already and it looks to continue for at least a half hour more!

Good thing I watered today and hosed down the car.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Glad you finally got some, Claire. I'm sure it was the car that finally did it.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Good for you Claire! See, all you had to do to get some rain was water....

:)
    Dee

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Really. I don't mind it raining. Or pouring may be the more accurate term. But does it have to be 59 degrees outside? I'm tempted to go put the heat on.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Ah, pixie lou, I am LOVING the low temps! I finally got outside today after work for a few hours of desperately-needed garden chores. My only complaint was that it would have been nice if there was a bit of sun with these cooler temps. But hey, after the heat wave, I am NOT complaining!

Dee