Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renee1977_gw

Fall plant swap?

Renee1977
12 years ago

I'm fairly new to this forum, and am very happy to have found it!

In reading older posts, I've seen a few mentions of plant swaps, and recently one mentioning a fall swap. Can someone tell me more about it? I know there is an exchange listing on this website, but it seems to be a little outdated and I get the impression that it's not used/updated? A swap sounds like fun!

Comments (14)

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Renee1977,

The only Fall swap that I am aware of is Annie's. From my understanding it will be thelast sunday in September held outside Manchester NH.As the date gets closer, I am sure there will be a lot of posting on it. Its a great swap and Annie has been doing it for several years. I think you will enjoy it very much.

Blake

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

There's a CT swap every fall (and spring!) as well... keep an eye out for it. Late Sept. or early October...

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Whitegarden in Southborough, I believe, may have offered to host a swap in the fall.
    Marie

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    12 years ago

I'd love to, but we are going to be under construction this fall if all goes well. I think ontheteam was keen to host a swap in the fall.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Where - in general - are you located? Lisa held one (or two?) really nice swap(s) in Plymouth, MA - maybe we should think about a south shore swap this fall? I especially like Plymouth, partly because it gives us an excuse to go to Katsura Gardens, one of NE's best nurseries.

• annie_nh
    12 years ago

I'm looking forward to hosting our annual fall plant swap the last Sunday in September in New Hampshire. Any and all are welcome. We have a great time even if it is raining.Lots of great plants, food. laughter and garden talk.
    Annie

• Renee1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never actually been to a plant swap...can someone give me some insight into what usually takes place? I probably shouldn't have started this post as I'm relativley new to gardening and really don't have much to offer by way of trade! = (

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Renee,

The only way to get started is to jump in....

I attend Annies swap both, spring and fall. I am always happy to share my plant divisions with new people at swaps and most everyone else too..

At Annies swap, I always bring way more than I leave with. After my swapping is done, all the rest of my plants divisions go to the middle of her yard and they are free for the taking. The other twenty plus gardeners that attend do the same. It's worth a trip!

Lisa

• terrene
    12 years ago

Renee, plants swaps are very much fun and they are a great place to get new plants, meet and yak with other gardeners, and see the host's garden. People usually bring divisions and seedlings, sometimes seeds and other gardening items, and food and drinks too.

Newbies are always welcome, even if they don't have many or any plants to swap. Gardeners with mature gardens, or established plantings that spread vigorously, often have more plants to give away than they are interested in taking home.

• defrost49
    12 years ago

swap tip: if you decide to attend a swap and it is posted here in the forum you will probably see some of the "regulars" arranging some trades in advance. Feel free to post something you are looking for and what you have to offer. Someone willing to make a specific trade will agree to the deal. Label the plant with the name of the swap person and look for them at the swap. (At Annie's we wear name tags.)

As Ishareplants posted. there are always extras at Annie's that are put in the center of the yard for anyone to take.

I really appreciated arranging a swap in advance this spring to replace a Greek oregano plant that died. Thanks to Blake, I was able to make zucchini gratin with oregano last night.

• sooey
    12 years ago

Hi Kids,

As a reminder, I thought I should bump this post up, it's getting to be that time of year. I am already starting to plan on what I need to thin out, move or even just toss from my gardens.

Any plans or ideas for fall swaps? I know that in the past we have had several different swaps in several different locations in New England. Each hosted by a member of the forum who had the time, location, space and, who was willing to serve as our host. Fall swap time is getting close...any brave volunteers?

Thoughts?

sooey

• defrost49
    12 years ago

I do have a question since Annie's swap will be Oct 2. I'm not used to planting that late. I live about an hour north of Manchester NH. Is that getting too late for transplanting?
    I'd appreciate some advice from others about this. I need to start potting up some things. I also plan to make some packets of calendula seed and annual poppy seedheads. Since they readily self sow, I thought people could sprinkle them now where they want them to grow next year or save until early spring.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I've planted that late, even as late as Thanksgiving weekend in warmer years, and we aren't too far apart. Mulch the garden now so the soil stays warmer longer and mulch around whatever you plant so that it's less likely to heave. If there are freeze thaw cycles, be sure to check that your plants are still in good contact with the soil.

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Thanks, nhbabs. I never thought to put some mulch on now but yikes, it was in the low 50s last night.