Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renee1977_gw

Looking for a landscaping book I loved, but can't remember...

Renee1977
12 years ago

Years ago, I purchased a landscaping book on sale. I lost the book when we moved and can't remember the name, author, etc.. I'm hoping someone else knows of it and can help me. Here is what I remember...

-it was written by two authors, both men

-it showcased landscape designs in different settings - meadow, formal gardens, cottage, etc...pictures of landscapes they designed

-it had beautiful pictures and then showed a drawing of the plants in each design

-it inspired me to use a lot of black eyed susans, daylily's and hosta

-it wasn't so much of a 'how-to', more of a suggestive and inspiring type of book

I know this is a long shot with the little information I'm providing, but even if I don't find the book, with your help maybe I'll find another to replace it!

If you can share names of books and authors, I'll look it up on Amazon to see if it's the one. I know I'll recognize it as soon as I see the cover! I've spent hours on Amazon looking through books to see if I can find it...no luck! I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the book until I lost it!

I appreciate your feedback!!!

Comments (11)

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Just based on the 'two men' part of your memory, I suggest you look up Joe Eck and Wayne Winterwood; they're designers from southern VT (I think I've got that part right) and they've published a few books about their property there. It could have been Our Life in Gardens.

• Renee1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion. It wasn't them, but the books they've written look very interesting.

The 'two men' are landscape designers and the gardens they show are ones they designed for clients.

Thanks again for trying!!

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Outdoors: The Garden Design Book for the Twenty-First Century by Diarmuid Gavin and Terence Conran?

(I'm on Amazon too. Grin.) This book seems too recent. 2007.

A Garden Gallery: The Plants, Art, and Hardscape of Little and Lewis? George little and David Lewis? 2005.

How many years ago do you think it was published (or you bought it)? Do you remember if the authors were American? Or British? Any more clues you can think of?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Piet Oudolf? I know he has co-written several books.

• ginny12
    12 years ago

I bet it was Wolfgang Oehme and James Van Sweden, two famous Washington DC area landscape architects who invented what they called "the new American style" garden. They are responsible for black eyed susans and ornamental grasses taking over so many public and private landscapes.

The link brings you to their website with a list of their publications. There has been much written about them as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oehme and Van Sweden, landscape architects

• Renee1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

leslie6ri, mad gallica and ginny12 - thank you so much for your help! Sadly, it's not any of these books or authors but ginny12's suggestion was def in the right direction!

More clues...

-I purchased it from Borders, new, in the early 2000's. It was on the discount rack.
    -It showed less than 10 landscapes
    -Each landscape had at least 2, maybe even 4 pages dedicated to each one.

I have to thank everyone for entertaining and helping on this. I must have read this book cover to cover a million times (you'd think I'd remember a little more about it...).

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Renee, if you only looked at ginny12's link then you only saw their recent publications. I just wanted to be sure you knew they had many books published dating way back twenty years. My favorite used book site is half.com. I've included a link to a couple of the books they have for sale by them. Not many, but just in case you hadn't found these earlier books yet.

If you ID it, let us know because it sounds like a really interesting book to buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Used oehme and van Sweden books

• Renee1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It gives me great pleasure to share the name and authors of the book I lost years ago, and am so looking forward to having once again...thanks to your help!!!

Gardening With Nature by James Van Sweden and
    Wolfgang Oehme (1997, Hardcover)

Ginny12 pegged the authors, and then deanna suggested to expand the search using half.com, which led me to find it!

Words can not express how thankful I am! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Yea! I'll add that to the list of good books to get. I love it when I get them cheaper used, too!

If you're not familiar with half.com, I use it many times a year and can give you some tips. For instance, I always look for books in the condition "Good" or "Acceptable" because they are usually hardcover library books, which are generally better quality, and are much cheaper, but it depends on who the seller is as to whether you will get that or not. If you'd like any input let me know!

• Renee1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received my book yesterday...it's even better than I remembered! I feel like reunited with an old friend!

I ordered from half.com and choose the 'acceptable' category, and it's gently worn, but overall fantastic condition! Thanks for the tip on half.com Deanna!

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Thanks for reminding me about this book. It's right here on my shelf, and I don't recall being especially happy with it.

I'll take another look through it now - maybe I missed something the first time. I've got A LOT of garden books, and sometimes I just buy them, then don't give them the attention they deserve.