Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy- Not Hardy z.5?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

Hi everyone,years ago when Rud. Cherry Brandy first came out in New Eng, it proved not hardy for z.5, and alot of us lost some $. Now, years later, I see it at Home Depot this wk and it says hardy to Minus 30 degrees!

Anyone growing it successfully? or sworn off it? Thx much.

Here is a link that might be useful: cotton-arbo retum website; free; open daily

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Swallowtail Garden Seeds classifies Rudbeckia as an annual (see link). Though it tends to be a rampant self-seeder, which gives the impression it's perennial, it isn't. All my seed-grown Rudbeckias self-seed and are currently blooming however I've not seen a single Cherry Brandy volunteer. I winter sowed seeds & planted out seedlings of several Rudbeckia cultivars (including Cherry Brandy) back in 2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

There are both perennial and annual rudbeckias. R. fulgida, which is what we have always called Black Eyed Susans are perennial, as is Herbstsonne.

Cherry Brandy is listed as a R. hirta cultivar. MOBOT, interestingly enough describes R. hirta as a short lived perennial or biennial, hardy to zone 3. So it sounds very much like HD lifted their information from the species.

• moliep
    9 years ago

I live along the CT shore. I lost my Cherry Brandy after one season.... it did not come back and did not reseed. So put me in the "sworn off" category.

Molie

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

I'd never bother to pay more than a couple of bucks for a rudbeckia, no matter how it's labeled.

My son brought me a seedling R. hirta for Mother's day some 25 years ago - a first grade class project. Although that plant was plain yellow with a brown center, the offspring, which are now all over my garden, have lots of beautiful variations.

Cherry Brandy looks lovely, but, like red coreopsis varieties, I'd be skeptical about its ability to survive NE winters. The wet soil might be more of a problem for it than the cold.

• bostongardens
    9 years ago

Hi, Mindy!

I was sent some plants to trial in our garden a while back. They disappeared after a year or so. Will check my notes.

Hoping you've been well! Often think of my visits to your beautiful gardens (especially the first one... how many years ago?)

BTW, did you ever find the lovage you were looking for? I never followed up. Please forgive me.

~ Hilda

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx nan and hilda et al, when I bought these CBrandy at HDepot, I figured they wouldn't make it. Because I know HD gives full refunds, I'm keeping the pots together for credit next Spring. Such a shame nurseries choose to mislabel its zones (3? oh REAlly?)

hilda, can't find lovage anywhere. I WANT for one dish that I make where it is the essential flavoring. Ah, yes, every time I look at our malva, I think of that day!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi nan, i'm a bit confused. are you saying none of the rudbeckia are v. worthwhile iyo?

wow, rud. herbstsonne is, imo, one of the garden greats for long bloom, non fussiness, easy care, rampant spreading i.e. gifting. gives you back your $investment many times over. Hits the ground running and never stops!

and i have just discovered (yep, i've been in a cave for a few yrs) this new-to-me Rud. Max. w/ these fantastic powder blue leaves. LOVE it, even though the flowers are wimpy (but funky!). Have you seen this one before?

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of rudbeckia max.'s blue foliage

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

Hi Mindy - my reluctance with rudbeckia cultivars is probably 75% due to the overabundance of R. hirta seedlings in my yard (the gift that just keeps giving), 15% no room for anything in my garden, and 10% from reading about failures of one or more gorgeous new varieties over the years.

Also, I'm just not big on buying something with the idea that it will die and I'll get a refund - not enough time for that, in my life. I'm probably missing out on a lot because of that little quirk, but ... so be it! R. herbstonne doesn't appeal to me, for some reason - I like the variety of the mongrel hirta's - some of which have great petal coloring. Cherry Brandy does look like a stunner, though - if it turns out to be hardy I might even get around to finding space for it, eventually.