Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quicksilver_gw

sale at Avant

quicksilver
13 years ago

Avant Nursery is presently discounting a number of their fabulous plants. "Adopt a Plant" for $1 is where you will find me, but there are opportunities for all!

Comments (13)

• quicksilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm crossing my fingers;

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.avantgardensne.com/

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Don't waste your time there. They don't even bother to help you. I went there a few months back and nobody even acknowledged that I was there. Most of the plants don't have prices and you aren't even sure what's for sale. That wouldn't be so bad if someone came forward to help, or maybe even say "Hello", but they don't. And they don't have anything you can't find just about anywhere else. There are so many better places in our area!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Bill, it might be more appropriate for you to say 'I went there once, but I didn't like it.'

Some of us enjoy Avant Gardens - quite a lot. If you don't appreciate it, don't go there, but don't assume that your experience of the place is universal.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I appreciate Bill's comments. I now know that Bill had customer service issues with the store. (better than having his plants die). Having someone say "I went there once, but didn't like it" is kind of useless. Same as if someone says "I love the place". Personally, I want to know why they like a place or dislike it.

~pixie (who has never heard of Avant Gardens, and doesn't even know where Dartmouth is, so has little chance of ever visiting the store, no matter whether Bill hates the customer service or Diggingthedirt loves the place.)

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

DTD,
    I am very capable of appreciating fine things in life. But if I go somewhere and the people ignore me, and I can't find any information about the product or service (such as having no labels or prices), to me that's not a good thing. I have had experiences where something wasn't right, but if the owner or manager, etc. makes an effort to correct it, I consider that adequate. I just didn't get that feeling at Avant Gardens. I would have bought a few things, but basically I wasn't able to because nobody would help me. I stand by my comments. In response I'd say that if you like it there then by all means go there and enjoy. Everyone is free to ignore my comments, but I am also free to express my opinions.

• runktrun
    13 years ago

Bill,
    As this is the second thread that you have posted a strong opinion about Avant Gardens after having only visited the nursery once I can only guess that perhaps something happened during your visit that really hurt your feelings rather than just disappointed you. Actually when I read your review I chuckled to myself and thought two things;
    a) Your wife has done a majority of the shopping for your family.
    b) You have never run your own business.
    It is a funny dance we gardeners do when we enter the nursery in order to communicate to one another with just a glance Hello there I am running around like crazy trying to water and label a thousand plants or hello no I don't want your help I would just like to look around on my own or yes please help me and as much as I like Avant Gardens as well as Kathy and Chris I will admit this gentle dance is not where their strengths lie. So Bill I can totally see how you might have been disappointed But I would ask you do you think if it would have been fair if while you were working a co-worker, customer, or boss, reviewed your work for the first time and unbeknownst to you went online and complained about your work rather than going directly to you with their work review. Frankly this feels a little like talking behind someoneÂs back and in this case this is someoneÂs livelihood at stake. Don't you think your comments would be more productive if they were directed to Kathy and Chris at Avant Gardens?

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Katy, or anyone.....
    There are a few assumptions made here. First of all I don't have a wife, and I ran two businesses before becoming the lead person in my department at my federal job.

Anyway, perhaps I should provide more detail about my visit. The people there were not actually very busy at all. One person was talking at length to a customer whom she obviously knew well, and the chat was not business related. When I picked up a potted sedum and approached her, waiting patiently while she finished her chat, she simply walked away with here friend/customer. When I was looking at some plants in a border closer to the house, another person approached the doorway. I looked at her and smiled and was about to ask a question about a plant in the border, and she abruptly turned away and closed the door behind her. I then saw another person, whom I mistakenly thought worked there, and asked if a group of plants were for sale or not, since they had red markers in them and seemed large, like stock plants. She said that she didn't work there, but called to someone who did. When that person came over, the first lady told her that I had a question, and the worker/owner spoke to the lady who had called her, and asked her about a plant she had bought previously, walked away with her, and again left me standing there. Needless to say I left at that point. I was disappointed because there were some interesting things, but none so rare or unusual that I would tolerate that again.

So, I am really happy for those of you who have had good experiences there. And I hope you continue to do so. As for me, I won't go back. There are enough places around for me to get whatever I want.

Mt intent wasn't to "talk behind someone's back", but merely to relay my experience. Anyone else please feel free to tell us all of your good experiences there, and people can then make their own decisions.

• kpaquette
    13 years ago

I've said it many times on this site - I've had nothing but positive experiences with Avant. Kathy and Chris did my garden design and installation, and their follow-ups since have been thorough. The times I've visited the nursery I was offered help by workers other than Kathy or Chris, without having to ask for it. As I've said before regarding your displeasure with them, Bill, I've found them to be the exact opposite of your experience and feel that you encountered them on an "off" day. But you are certainly welcome to take your business elsewhere, if that's what you feel is necessary.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I was also glad that Bill posted his experiences at Avant gardens. It sounds like he had a pretty unhappy experience the day he went which explains his strong response. I've never been to Avant Gardens and never ordered from them through the mail, so I have no opinion. I think he's done a good job of clarifying his opinion.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I've dealt with Avant Gardens only through mail order, but wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. I've gotten personal emails in reply to orders and plants have all been of excellent quality, well packed and well grown. They carry many plants that I cannot get locally. I have ordered from many internet nurseries due to there being few local nurseries that carry many plants out of the ordinary. Avant Gardens is one I enjoyed doing business with.

• beausgrrl
    13 years ago

Although I'm new here I have a problem with others trying to tell others how to say something. That's the whole point of forums - to voice "our" opinions and experiences. If others like the nursery then say so. I appreciate Bill's candor and think others who don't should just suck it up and post their positive experiences there. We are all grown ups and can sort through the opinions and go and form our own if we so choose. I've been to a few different places this summer and one had no prices and the plants looked dead and ignored, no one was around to really help and that was a total turn off. Presentation to me in a nursery reflects the care the owners have of the place and their plants. I cannot stand any place that doesn't have clear pricing. Customer aggravation and turn off immediately.

Just my humble opinion, hehe. :)

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

As for the plant selection and quality, I had no issues with either of those. As I said in my posting I would have bought some things. My main problem was the lack of attention by the people who worked there. Many of you have related your good experiences there, and I have no reason to doubt what any of you say. I ask only that you afford me the same respect. Some have said that I perhaps went there when they were having an "off" day. I don't think that's an valid option for business owners, particularly in a business where one deals directly with the customers. It seems that I am only one person who's had a bad experience, and many of you have had good ones. Having said that, I am sure that you will continue to buy from Avant Gardens, as you should. I am sure they will be a source of wonderful plants and shopping pleasure to many people.

• quicksilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yipes!!! I never thought my post would illicit this response! I am a frugal Hostaholic. Last year I did some research to find hosta nurseries in my area. Avant was one of six nurseries I visited in Southeastern Massachusetts. In my humble opinion they came in #2 for hostas, and #1 for everything other than hostas. In my eyes Avant is a high end nursery. Many of the plants they offer are exotic, and will not be found in other garden centers- period. The sum total of staff that I have seen is 3; a husband and wife, and during the summer one additional person. All staff have been, for me friendly and knowledgeable. I know I am not their typical customer. I show up in the late summer/fall when their great plants go on sale. I must say, unequivocally, that for anyone interested in gardening in Southeastern Massachusetts, that Avant is a resource that should be considered.