Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paw Paw Tree?

Posted by schiba 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 23:58

I am trying to find a paw paw tree that is growing around Massachusetts. Do you know where I can find one growing so that I can check it out? It would be a great help to me and my garden design. I am going for a native theme.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paw Paw Tree?

Nassami Farm grows them, so they must at least have young ones.

I believe the Arnold Arboretum in Boston has four.

I know a guy on this forum planted a bunch in Western Mass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnold Arboretum Plant Collection Search

o

I am in Central Massachusetts and sell my pawpaw fruit from my grove at the Hardwick Farmers Market starting in September. You are welcome to meet me in that venue initially.

o

Oh, that is fabulous! Thank you for the tips. I am pretty-much convinced I need a few of these trees, so now I must select a cultivar. 'Sunflower' seems best to me.

o

Shenandoah is wonderful in terms of yield, early maturity, productivity at a young age, large fruit size, flavor, and a high fruit flesh to seed density ratio.

o

It is encouraging to hear about the variety Shenandoah growing well in inland Mass. Do you grow any other varieties? I have several that I am growing in southern Colorado and with a little care they seem fine. I think they grow a little slower here than in more humid climates.

o

Just planted the wild Asimina Triloba in my yard. Two of them. Waiting on Penn. Golden in the fall. Sure hope these two survive! Have them in full sun and will monitor for sunburn. Taking a chance. Got them off of Hirts "dirt" cheap.

Next mission is a persimmon. Diospyros Virginiana

This post was edited by schiba on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:53

o

Mine is young and not fruiting yet but i know a neat guy in reading , close to 128/93 intersectn. if you want his contact info, email me at
cottonarboretumatcomcastdotnet.

o

I checked my trees this morning and decided it was still too early to harvest. Even though fruit ripens off the tree, in my opinion it is still too early to harvest. This year's growing conditions for pawpaws have delayed ripening for several weeks later compared to previous years. The ideal conditions for fruit are warmer and sunnier summer days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here