Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

S__gs this Year?And Lil_B___tles?

arbo_retum
10 years ago

Forgive me but I actually am superstitious about saying those words. so i abbreviate them. I have now gardened in New Eng some 30 years, and i do not remember a summer w/ no s__gs before this yr. I have been very out-of-touch lately, so I'm asking here finally. Did my laborious hosta ammonia treatment of 2-3 yrs ago have some miraculous effect on future s__g generations, or is there some other reason? Anyone know? Have you also had my experience this yr. ?

Btw, same thing w/ Lil_B___tles- zilch,nada! Is that heaven or what?! And winter moths were here but nowhere near as destructive as prev yrs. - attributed to the unusually long period of cool spring nights.(I guess if the mosquitoes disappear, we'll know the Appocalypse is on the way.) TIA.

Comments (7)

• capecodder
    10 years ago

I have more of those s__gs and their cousins the sn__ls this year than I've had for years. Very few of the red bugs you referenced. I use Sluggo and it has not worked at all so hand picking a lot, gross as it is.

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

None of those scarlet creatures here this year and the few lilies I have bloomed. :-)

Only saw four or five of those belly crawlers this year. Had to hand pick a bunch last year.

I did no preventative measures for neither.

-Tina

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I've only seen two slugs all season. Still have RLLBeetles but in lower numbers this year. Winter Moths still around but also in smaller numbers with less damage.

• siennact
    10 years ago

Yes, less than usual for some reason. Lots of snails though. And potato bugs/roly polys. Hate those things.

• terrene
    10 years ago

I've had a little slug damage on seedlings, so I use the iron phosphate bait pretty religiously for those. There was a little damage on the hostas, but that seemed to subside with the hot dry weather in July.

Only have 1 small Lily which did bloom, and only saw 1 LLB, so can't comment much on them.

There have a been a TON of other pests wreaking havoc - assorted beetles, earwigs, sunflower caterpillar, and Monarda caterpillar, and probably others I don't even know about.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

I haven't seen any slugs in a while, but I did apply Sluggo once when I planted some annuals, just as a precaution. I do see some snails, the small ones with yellow shells, which I just toss onto the hot street pavement. Sun and cars do the rest! When I did have slugs (before the major yard renovation when I still had railroad ties for walls - big mistake!) I used to go out at night with a flashlight and a salt shaker. Worked fine, but of course the next night there would be many more! Now with all masonry walls, stairs, patios etc. I don't see any at all.

{{gwi:5901}}

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

I haven't seen any slugs in a while, but I did apply Sluggo once when I planted some annuals, just as a precaution. I do see some snails, the small ones with yellow shells, which I just toss onto the hot street pavement. Sun and cars do the rest! When I did have slugs (before the major yard renovation when I still had railroad ties for walls - big mistake!) I used to go out at night with a flashlight and a salt shaker. Worked fine, but of course the next night there would be many more! Now with all masonry walls, stairs, patios etc. I don't see any at all.

{{gwi:5901}}