Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

any interest in another swap in eastern ma this fall?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to see if there was any interest in a fall swap in Eastern MA this year. I am hoping to move and divide a few perennials this fall and think I will have some seeds as well.

I have the usual cast of characters. I am getting rid of all my rudbeckia. I don't like the way it takes over my small full sun bed and I don't have a place to move it and allow it to spread. I have one small variegated hosta to divide and carex, Autumn Joy sedum, Four daylilies, stella d'or, one is a peach that I think is Catherine Woodbury. Another that is a melon color with a deeper eye, and Hyperion which is a very large yellow that is fragrant. Platycodon Fuji Pink, that looks white to me. Epimedium, more lychnis, an orange geum and more vinca.

I can take Butterfly Bush cuttings, Coleus, pink wax begonias. I should have parsley, Bronze fennel, chive, and calendula seed.

I would be looking for plants to put between pavers..thymes? Some bright asters and/or mums. Dark hens and chicks, heucheras, white variegated hosta division like the Patriot, tiarella and phlox divarcata, salvia 'Caradonna', ferns.

That is a preliminary list. Once I get into some of these beds, I may find more I forgot about. I am also hoping to winter sow and haven't thought about what seed I would like to try this year.

Anyone else planning on moving around their beds?

:-)

Adam

Comments (95)

• chelone
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A reminder that a good portion of the fun is in the trip itself... :)

For whatever it's worth we could do it at my house, too... but how many of you are willing to drive to southern Maine?

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

If you go with Sundays, it can't be at my house because I work at a church. If Sundays work for everyone else, please go ahead.
    idabean

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

My vote is for Lexington and either Sunday works best for me. That said, I can be flexible and drive just about anywhere-even southern Maine!. By the way-do we have to all come up with a list of what we are bringing? I may not have my final "stuff" until a few days before the swap. And as far as what I would like to get-well I just look at something, like it, and try to find an appropriate spot for it in my gardens. I guess I am not that organized-at least not yet. See you all in a few weeks.
    Carole

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

Thanks Marie, that is the kind of information we need.

Chelone, I would love to come up for a swap in Maine at some future time. I love to drive to Maine. :-)

Let's recap here a little. It would seem that it is either Maire's in Lexington or fgirls in Randolph [near Braintree]. Let's not forget that Amanda kindly offered her Mom's house near the RI border, but it seems it was farther than anyone wanted to go. I think it would be safe to say that a public library is not necessary if we have two volunteer hosts.

So far...votes for Lexington:
    Greening
    Alison
    Carole
    Amanda
    Marie [of course]
    Me [sorry fgirl it is 10 mins from me :-( ]

I am going to count DtD and runktrun as 2 votes for fgirls.

As for the date vote...

Carole, not sure if you saw Marie's post before you posted, but you voted for Lexington, but Marie just posted she is not available on Sundays. So if it becomes Marie's house, the only dates we can vote on are Saturday the 24th or October 1st. You have to change your location vote or the date vote.

Chelone, didn't vote on location or date..
    Greening didn't vote on the date.
    fgirl didn't vote on a date.
    DtD didn't vote on a date.
    runktrun didn't vote on a date.
    Alison can't make Oct 1. So she is voting for Sat the 24th.
    I woulld prefer Oct 1, but can do the 24th
    Amanda said she could do any day

We never heard back from ...
    flowersandbirds in NH.
    Scampi in Central MA
    Ron48 has not voted.

So a number of people need to let their preference for date be known, we have to hear from Carole again, flowersandbirds, Scampi, Ron and Chelone.

Then we can start planning.

Carole, no you don't have to post what you are bringing. It is nice if you have an idea of what you "might" be bringing. I find a lot of people read the swaps post and if you post something particular you want or might have, you might hear from someone that has that plant or would want what you have. None of us will know until just before the swap what we will definitely have.

Adam

• runktrun
    18 years ago

I just checked with the Steamship Authority and I can still get reservations for either the 24th or the 1st. I guess if I had a preference it would be the 1st to give some of my late starts the extra week.

• chelone
    18 years ago

I'm going to be very honest. I am thinking about going to the NH swap. Not that I didn't have a lovely time meeting the fun people from MA, mind you! It's just that the drive is about the same for me, either way (unless you opt for Braintree which is further for me). So, how about we do this: you guys figure out the date and time amongst yourselves, I'll be OK with whatever you decide. And I'll be certain to post a list of what I have available (what I DON'T want to bring back home :) ).

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks runktrun..

Chelone, I understand, the NH swap is on the 24th of Sept if anyone is wondering.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Sorry, I've been reading but not voting. I didn't want to vote because ... I have trouble making committments. There, I'm being honest too!

Braintree works better for me, but I would still try to come if the swap is held in Lexington, and I my travel plans are still not definite, that's really why I haven't voted. One of my planned trips gets me back to Boston on Sep 23. I could certainly make Braintree on 9/24, Lexington would work for me on the later date better than on 9/24.

Mixing real names and monikers is getting a little confusing! I will wait until the time and place are set before I get back to listing the plants I plan to bring. I mentioned a few earlier but have more things in pots and/or in need of digging that I had forgotten about.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All these honest people...lol...I love it! Honesty always makes things more simple and I appreciate it. DtD, I was in the same boat last swap not knowing til the last minute if I could go. Chelone, I will miss you if you go to NH, but maybe next time. :-)

Okay, so we have DtD and Chelone out of the voting. runktrun..voting on Oct 1st for a date. That leaves Greening and fgirl to pick a date they want, and unless we hear back from the other three that haven't checked in today, I am thinking maybe we can decide at that point. I could check with the three that haven't checked back by emailing them through GW if anyone thinks that is necessary?

We're getting there...

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

Sorry for my mix up. My new vote is for Lexington and October 1st, a Saturday!
    Carole

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Adam, you're doing a wonderful job. Thank you for all of the time and effort you've put into getting the swap organized.

Amanda

• fgirl21
    18 years ago

Either date is fine with me - I have no conflicts

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH THE COMPUTER. I had the message below, and added a story about chickens. I got as far as hitting the "submit" button but instead of giving me text to send, it made me go to my member page. Now the message is completely gone, although I did not close any windows. this happened once before.

Does anyone know why? I could cry.

I have some good perennials that would be easy to divide:
    a big blue geranium, name forgotten) J
    g. Johnson's blue;
    g.macrorizzum "spessart" a wonderfrul groundcover that weeds can't penetrate,
    the magenta geranium ditto
    artemesia 'limelight' (spreader)
    boltonia Snowbanck
    nepeta (small leaved, late blooming)
    astermoeia mongolica (old name don't remember new)
    maybe aster Alma Potche
    red beebalm
    monarda 'raspberry wine'
    coreopis 'moonbeam', zegrab,
    helenium or some big yellow composite

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, I think we have a decision, here is the tally:

For Lexington:
    Greening
    Alison
    Carole
    Amanda
    Marie
    Adam

For fgirl nr Braintree:
    Dtd
    Fgirl
    Runktrun

The location will be Lexington.

As for the date, 4 people prefered October 1st

Runktrun
    DtD
    Carole
    Adam
    and Alison is the only one looking for a September 24th date. The rest didn't care which one it was. We didn't hear from Greening on the date, but if she did want the 24th it still would have been 4 to 2 for the Oct 1st date. I am glad that since DtD and Runktrun didn't get it closer to them that at least they will get the date that is better for them. Sorry Alison. :-(

So, I suggest we plan to meet in Lexington on the 1st of October. I realize that isn't perfect for everyone and I am afraid it wasn't possible to make it so. I hope that everyone will still try to make it. I know that everyone didn't participate in the voting, but those who we didn't hear from actually haven't posted since their initial post, so I think we can just go ahead and start making our plans.

Amanda, thanks for the vote of confidence...I had the time and I am happy to help out in this small way.

So that brings us to Marie....I guess you are having us all over your house again. :-)

Marie, as for the computer, that has happened to me a number of times and now I usually compose my posts on my own works program and then paste it to the GW page. I know the feeling I have lost some long, time consuming posts...

I imagine we could start thinking about what time...Marie we will wait for you to let us know. We could think about who can bring what.

Adam

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Oh, good, so glad this is settled. Now we can start thinking about plants again, more fun.

Thanks, Adam, you are an excellent facilitator!

Idabean, my sympathies on your computer problem. Sometimes hitting the back button gets you back to the page with the text you were typing in - I always try that first.

• starbird
    18 years ago

Sorry for being late to this thread. I guess it better to be late than not showing up at all right? Well count me in for the fall swap. My vote is for 10/1 and Lexington is fine with me (Marie, thanks for offering you place again). Although Braintree would be closer for me, I wouldnÂt mind driving up to Maine either.

Not sure what I will bring to the swapÂ.IÂll work on the list and will post later.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

DtD, glad it is settled too. and thanks..but,,,if I was good at this, it wouldn't have taken 60 posts to get a location and a time [g]. I am sure there is someone out there who could make quick work of it in the future.

Hi starbird...glad you can make it. I am sorry again that the Braintree location seems to be closer for a number of people and am glad you will be able to make it anyway.

I am new to this swapping..my first one was last spring. I have also only become a regular contributor to this forum in the past year or so. I find it such a great resource of people who love to garden and all live in my general area to boot. Honestly none of my friends garden, or my neighbors, so I really get a lot from being able to talk to other gardeners who enjoy it as much as I do.

That is all to say, that I am glad there are so many people interested in meeting to swap plants. I thought it might be a nice idea, to think about organizing a Massachusetts group of swappers and plan a swap every spring and every fall. Each area of Mass could be represented..Eastern, Southern [including the Cape], Central and North Shore. We could either alternate locations. Start with this fall, Fall in Eastern MA, Spring in Southern, Fall in Central [good time to see foliage], and Spring North Shore. Or we could plan one in each area once a year and plan them on different dates so people could travel and go to as many as they want. All that would be needed would be people willing to host a swap for their area.

Anyone that is interested in that idea, rather than add more posts to this thread about it, we could start a new thread or we could talk about it at the swap. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone that is finding the location or date inconvenient for them to think about.

I am still working on my list of plants and seeds. I was wondering if there are any Winter Sowers coming to the swap who might be interested in swapping seeds too?

Adam

• chelone
    18 years ago

MA swappers? HELLO?!(where do I live?). OK, so I'm being a wise-ass... . ;)

It IS nice to know there are so many friendly, genenerous, and plant-laden people willing to swap.

Even nicer to know there are people like you willing to do the polling, talleying, and deliver the results to the "electorate", who then have the luxury to deciding whether or not to attend...

Thanks!

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Hey All!

Been a while since I checked in here. Actually, if the swap takes place in the morning and is over by about lunchtime, like the one in the spring, I will probably be able to make it on Oct. 1. If it ends up happening in the afternoon, I will probably have to bow out.

I have a bunch of seeds that I can bring, a lot of them are on my trade page (though some of them have already been traded, I haven't updated it in a bit).

As for plants, I have a bunch of ajuga, a couple of rudbeckias, some coreopsis grandiflora, some threadleaf coreopsis, maybe some pink coreopsis (American Dream), some ditch lilies, also possibly a couple of rose bushes (A Belinda's Dream and a Fairy -- at least I think it's a Fairy, it looks like one). Probably also some white Lily of the Valley. Does anyone want some aegopodium podagraria (goutweed)? I have loads. I'm going to be digging it either this fall or in the spring, so if anyone wants some, I will dig it now.

I have to get out there and weed and then I will get a good idea of what else I have that is hiding in there. :-)

Alison

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

Would love to be able to join all of you for a fall swap, we had so much fun with the spring one, but fall won't work for me. I spend my weekends doing craft shows, starting Oct. 1 and go through Dec. 1. Hope we can plan on a spring swap again. Am sure to have plenty of WS seedlings, both annuals and perennials. Doing lots of seed trades and gathering new types of seeds to Ws.
    If anyone is interested, the craft show I'm doing on Oct. 1 is at Burlington High school, Burlington MA. Time is 10-3.
    I will have lots of hand crocheted original xmas tree ornaments and lots of holiday designs.
    Hope all of you have a wonderful swap, the weather is good,
    (not too hot, not to cold and no rain on that day. Sure would like some now though).
    Fran

• ron48
    18 years ago

Any day or any location is fine with me, I'm free all the time on weekends.

Sorry for any delay.

Ron

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Sorry, off the computer for a bit. :) Any date is fine by me. Alison, I'm very interested in Belinda's Dream and in pink coreopsis-- are you looking for anything in particular? (Chances I have it are REALLY small *g* but I can try.)

• scampi
    18 years ago

Sorry I posted and disappeared! We went away camping in Maine before school starts next week. Lexington on October 1st might be do-able for me but it will depend on the kids soccer schedules. We never know if they have morning or afternoon games until the season actually starts in September.

You guys have been busy while I was away!

I have a trading question..... Do you guys make sure that you have takers for all of your stuff before you bring it with you to a swap, or do you just bring it all and hope it will find new homes? Also, what about sizes? Do you do small pots, quarts, gallons, etc...?

I've done hosta trades before and it's usually an eye for an eye, but I've never done something like this before.

Thanks!

• chelone
    18 years ago

Nah, if no one takes my wares I simply chuck 'em out the window while speeding down the highway. ;)

Seriously, I wasn't a very good detective the last time around and had to beg people to take some of my stuff (esp. ornamental grass, "Prairie Sky"!). I carted some of it back home and then dutifully foisted it off on visitors to our home.

It is helpful to have an idea of what everyone wants and how much of it they want.

• starbird
    18 years ago

Chelone - bring the grass I'll take it off your hands. I've been kicking myself for not taking it during the spring swap. BTW, your irises are doing really well. Will have to be wait til next spring to see the flowers.

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Scampi,

Last time I did two things: 1.) brought a bunch of stuff that I had winter-sowed and begged people to take it; and 2.) arranged a few trades via email with littleonefb (Fran) and swapped our stuff when we got there. One other thing I did: I googled my plants and printed off a page of pictures and care instructions to show folks what the little winter-sown seedlings would look like when they matured.

If anyone is definitely interested in any of the stuff I've said I'm bringing or probably bringing, please let me know either here or in an email, and I will be sure to bring it and set it aside for you.

Greening has already nabbed the Belinda's Dream rose and some pink coreopsis. Mostly I am looking for seeds that I can winter sow, especially ones that will work in shade. Actually, I may be willing to take some daylilies, as long as they are not orange ditch lilies.

Greening, I just remembered you asked me (was it here or in another thread?) why I didn't want my Belinda's Dream. It's in pretty good health and growing on its own root, but I originally bought it from an online catalog (Chamblee's) and they listed it as Zone 6. I've read elsewhere that it is really Zone 7. But it has now survived two Zone 6 winters completely unprotected (no cage, no mounding of leaves, etc., as recommended by those rose forum prima donnas -- oops, did I say that out loud?) It does take a while to get going each year, but it has always come back. I thought you might be more willing than I am to baby it a little. It has a very pretty flower.

I had so much success winter sowing last year (I filled up three beds to overflowing) that I am planning to do the same thing again this winter with three more beds.

Anyway, that's what I did in the spring swap, Scampi, hope that helps.

Alison

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all..

My computer is down and not sure for how long...I'm borrowing a computer, so making this quick. I posted a partial list of my haves and wants to my trade list on GW.

From the posts on this thread so far, here is what I would be interested in...

Ferns from Alison
    Ferns, shade plants and bearded iris from Amanda
    Dicentra, lamium maybe , digitalis, creeping thyme if you have it, viola seeds if you have them
    Fom Ron...Tree peony, epimedium sulphureum, Hosta Guacamole, Tiarella Bridget Bloom.
    From DtD creeping thymes, verbena b.
    from runktrum Endless Summer and oakleaf

So check out my list and I will add the seeds and will maybe have more that are not dug yet. Please let me know if you are interested in any perennials or shrubs, because some I will only dig up and divide if someone wants it.

Thanks,
    Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops sorry the line that started dicentra, lamium maybe, etc. was from Scampi..

Thanks, I hope to be back online by Tuesday maybe Wednesday. I do want to trade seed for WS, I have my haves list ready but it is home. :-) What I am looking for is posted.

Already got outside this weekend and we dug up a few. It feels better to get a start..lol.

Bye!
    Adam

• lise_b
    18 years ago

One other thing I did: I googled my plants and printed off a page of pictures and care instructions to show folks what the little winter-sown seedlings would look like when they matured.

Alison, I thought this was a FANTASTIC idea, very helpful. Also, own root... now I'm really psyched! (My success with the cutting of Marie's 'Bonica' has made me a bit giddy, and this weekend saw me clambering up a retaining wall and borrowing a pocketknife to take cuttings from some LOVELY pink and yellow roses growing by an office building. I'm so glad my friends already know I'm weird. *g*)

Adam, I'd be happy to split my 'Bright Lights' seed packet with you. :)

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

One thing I learned about late season cuttings is that it really helps if the plant has been well watered before the cuttings are taken. I noticed a big difference between cuttings from 2 identical hydrangeas, and they were handled the same way after being cut. This was the only difference I could think of that explained why one set wilted and the other didn't. I guess well-watered will be easier to find after today. Actually today would be a great time to take more cuttings - if only I didn't have to work.

I've found several additional plants, like oakleaf and nikko blue hydrangea volunteers. Some are layered, some are either seedlings or vole-made root cuttings.

Also found a ligularia dentata volunteer. I've never seen one before, but there it is.

I'll post a complete list of "haves" when I've got a minute, some of these things might be better left until spring unless someone wants them now.

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Oooooooh, I would love that ligularia volunteer! Googled it and it looks really cool! I am about to start a love affair with any plants with big leaves.

Is there anything on the list of stuff I'm bringing that I could trade you for it? Please, pretty please?

Alison

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

I don't have much to say, except the list that I made before.
    Here is what I would like...call me dreaming...
    variegated siberian dogwood
    variegated weigelia
    japanese maples
    miscanthus zebrina (any variety)
    You could also bring weed-free compost!

unusual ferns I don't have: I have tons of wood ferns, j.painted fern, "ghost"

I'm sorry, but I won't be rinting pix or planting info for the swap itself. If you can find my list, you might look them up yourselves. I'll try to get back to that list and add growing conditions and bloom time.

I look forward to having everyone. It will be cooler and much more shady. It is very, very easy to host because all of you are organizing! I'm just going to sweep the patio!

Marie

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I am back online finally..lol. My router was on the blink and had to wait for a new one.

Greening, I would be happy to have some of your bright light cosmos. I just posted the seeds and plants I have on my trade list. Take a look at my list and see if there is something you want.

I just wanted to add, that obviously I have a pretty specific list of things I am looking for, but certainly I will be interested in whatever everyone has. I just thought I might as well post what I wanted just in case someone might have one or two of them. I won't be digging up the shrubs to bring them, unless someone is interested in them and would probably want to trade shrub for shrub as these are full grown shrubs. Also the sooner someone let's me know they want them, the more lead time they will have before the swap. If not, I will still have them in the spring. I just don't want to end up with potted plants going into the winter.

Now that I am starting to dig/divide for the swap, remember I am new to this. I wonder what size is good for a division? Some of my plants aren't as large as I would like. I am using up a lot of my garden soil in potting them up. Does anyone pot up new divisions in potting soil? Should I be cutting back the foliage or leaving it as is? Is that on ALL plants or just the Stella D'Or daylily?

As for seeds to trade, how many seeds should be in a trade?

Marie, I love your vision...wish I had some to bring for you. When you finally get those your garden is going to be even prettier. :-)

So Marie, what time do you want us on the 1st? Will you need a table or should we also bring lawn chairs? I think Fran brought the table last time and she won't be coming this time. What should we do if it rains, have a rain date?

Can we also start thinking about what we are bringing? Since Marie is hosting, she shouldn't have to provide refreshments. Last time we all brought a food item each and that ended up being a lot. I was thinking we could bring either a food item OR a drink. I can bring a carafe of hot cocoa, if it is cool weather. I might try ask my daughter to bake some zucchini bread. Someone might bring paper plates, napkins or hot/cold cups depending on what everyone is bringing if they don't want to bring food.

October 1st is right around the corner..
    Adam

• ron48
    18 years ago

Does any one have any hosta to trade? Please check my list. I have more than one of many plants, so please ask for availability and how many you would like.

Marie, I have several cornus on my GW trade list.
    I'm out of one weigelia, I will take inventory this weekend.
    I also have acer palmatum, and other asian maples.

Adam, about that tree peony, I just heard from someone I swapped tree peony's with her 4-5 years ago. She got a bright white, light pink, and a pink she reports to have" strong yellow shading" in it. Its "pot" luck with TP, unless there grafted or divided.

This only plant I have is potted and the seeds were from the same couple of plants her seedlings were from.
    I thought I would have a hundred TP but the squirrels like the seeds as well.

I hope to start grafting TP in a couple of years.

Thanks Ron

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ron48

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Alison, I'll dig the ligularia. No swap needed - I'll browse the unspoken-for things and try to resist bringing home more things to plant - my gardens are too crowded already and there's not much lawn left!

• grimadoyle
    18 years ago

What if I have nothing you all need?

I can bring 2 good looking toddlers and bagels?

Maybe swap some manure for cuttings- you all seem pretty into manure.

Can you guys start using the names my grand mother used to use so I understand all this? It took me 10 minutes to figure out you all don't like black eyed Susans.

I mainly grow veggies, and the flowers I have only have first names, like iris, peony and lupine.

Will Marie have a place for the simple people like me? I will take home a Rudbeckia is I am asked too.

Also

- Jamaica Plain has a dozen public places to have a swap, after which some people might decide to do a trip to the Arboretum.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ron... Oh, I see, you have a plant from the same seeds she used but are not sure what it will turn out to be. Let me give that some thought. Ron you have an extensive list. Are you bringing only what people are asking you for? Could I assume you are looking for shrub and trees as trades for your shrubs and trees? Are hostas the main plant you are looking for or are the others on your "wants" list equally of interest? The only hosta I have that is big enough to trade is what I believe is a 'Frances William'. I also have 2 Huechera 'Palace Purple' and 'Green Spice'.

DtD...your gardens are crowded..is that with plants that you are happy with? Isn't there something you want? I also have duplicates of some things on my list. 'Hyperion' daylily, butterfly weed, carex, epimedium, yellow creeping sedum, sensitive fern, and lily of the valley,rudbeckia, and vinca. I can see if I have something else if I knew what you were looking for. I see you enjoy old fashioned perennials. I don't have any plants, but I do have some heirloom seed. Dianthus Allwood's Village Pinks.

Since your garden is so crowded, have you started going "up" yet? I have Sweet Pea 'Black Knight' and 'Love in a Puff' vine that looks like I can collect seed from. I purchased them from Select Seeds in the spring. I also have an old fashioned Cup and Saucer plant, Campanula medium?, that is setting seed, if I can just figure out how to collect it. We enjoyed it a lot this summer and I plan on it taking up permanent residence. It is a mix of white, pink and purple flowers, some of which appear to be doubles.

LOL grimadoyle....you are very witty...and welcome. :-)
    You shouldn't concern yourself with whether you have something others have asked for or not. It doesn't matter. If you have plants you want to divide, like your peonies, iris and lupine or others, then you could bring divisions of those potted up. Or you can bring veggie seeds etc. Maybe you have a ripe pepper full of seeds you can collect, etc. Or annuals that are just now going to seed you can collect. You bring what you have. Last time I went home with a dozen paper cups full of Morning Glory, cosmos and zinnia seedlings that I never would have planned to get and they were the hit of my summer garden, thanks to Fran and her Winter Sowing. The "requests" are often just a jumping off point. At least that is my impression. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So tell us, how is it you have manure....lol. Do you have a horse or a cow? [g]

Will be happy to include grandmother's names...I still use them when I forget the latin which is more and more frequently the older I get. It also would be a shame to lose all those lovely names grandmothers still use..black eyed susan...I love that name..much prettier than rudbeckia.

Bring the bagels...and taking home the rudbeckia is not required...lol, and bring photos of the good looking toddlers. I want to see just how good looking they are. ;-)

Have I asked yet, if someone would be willing to trade me some hydrangea blossoms for something on my list? [g] I planted 3 new hydrangeas this year, but they don't have enough for me to pick. I have a basket in my Dining Room that has dried hydrangea in it and they are about 5 years old and need replacing.

I was thinking of starting a second thread...I am having trouble opening this thread and posting to the thread. Eastern MA SWAP 2005? Any objections? Or should we go to the end..100 posts is the maximum?

Adam

• ron48
    18 years ago

Adam, To answer your questions, If some one wanted some thing specific that would be fine, I have several hundred, OK 400 potted trees and shrubs and a hundred perennials. My concern is breakage. you can't cut a woody plant back if it looses a limb with out effecting the next few years development. In certain circumstances the plant may be trash. If these folks are mostly interested in perennials that directs me accordingly. Perennials are much more forgiving. It would be nice to have some pre arranged trades. Not necessarily all of them would have to be. Its early, so if some don't have their list of what's tradable, its OK, but I wouldn't want to dig a large plant for a division on speculation.

I posted on New England exchanges and have had no inquiries. I'll move it to here and see if there's any interest.

More later On

Hi every one, this is just a question at this point. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in driving to my house in Peabody, for a swap. I have several larger trees and shrubs. In late September unless its potted. I would like named hosta or plants from my GW list
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ron48

I haven't done a complete inventory but I have roughly;

several, but as many as 4-5 Acer triflorum 2-3'
    Magnolia, I can't say what it was, I had used them as grafting under stocks a few years ago. 4'
    Rhododendron wilsonii, 3' wide needs to be balled
    Rhododendron "Last Hurrah" in a bushel basket
    Rhododendron "Mary Flemming" 3-4'
    2 Mountain ash, 4' and 7-8'
    Mackii 8-10' B&B
    Fothergilla 4' tall, I will dig it

This may not work out so you can see its only a question for now. Would pics help out?

Ron

• lise_b
    18 years ago

grimadoyle, please feel very welcome to come. Many of us here are new to this too and for many, like me, this summer's June swap was our first. And, I love black eyed susan. :)

Adam-- oh, I *adore* sweet peas! And none of mine came up this year. :-C In the spring mailed some to my mom in VA and hers are doing fine, but most of mine never even sprouted. I'd really wanted to have them along the (hideous rental house) chain link fence. Thank heavens for Fran's morning glories!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ron,

Thanks for clarifying that. I think there isn't a person here who would feel any differently about not wanting to handle a tree or shrub more than necessary. So unless someone specifically asks for a tree or shrub on your list, you will leave them at home, correct?

I think there might be some confusion about what you are looking for in trade for your trees and shrubs. I would assume it is a lot of time invested and work to raise them and thought you would want a tree or shrub in trade for them, but your trade list does not have any trees/shrubs on your "want" list. I also saw that you already have an extensive collection of hostas. More than I have for sure. Are you looking for only hostas you don't have or ANY named hosta? Will you accept one hosta for one shrub? Is that what you had in mind, or something else?

If anyone else that is coming to the swap has not viewed Ron's trade list yet, it is a very extensive list.

Greening....Keep your fingers crossed that the pods on the vines ripen and can be collected by the swap. I would think they would.

Adam

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Is anyone here interested in fall bulbs? I am going to go rooting around all over my driveway bed for this swap, because I am redoing that bed completely, and I plan on digging up some crocuses and daffs and probably some of those short early irises (reticulata, I think they're called). Let me know if any of you are interested. I really want to make this bed beside my driveway an all-perennial bed, and I'm sick of digging down to plant a perennial and chopping into bulbs.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the swap.

Alison

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

I just walked through the garden and this is an updated list. I am not going to dig unless someone wants a specific plant. Then I'll do it happily! Would you mind emailing me personally if you want a division. I can keep better track that way. Just send your request to mrtulin@rcn.com
    a big blue geranium, name forgotten) J
    g. Johnson's blue;
    g.macrorizzum "spessart" a wonderfrul groundcover that weeds can't penetrate,
    the magenta geranium ditto
    artemesia 'limelight' (spreader)
    boltonia Snowbank
    calaminta nepata nepeta (small leaved, late blooming)
    astermoeia mongolica (old name don't remember new)
    maybe aster Alma Potche
    red beebalm

coreopis 'moonbeam', zegrab,
    helenium or some big yellow composite
    knautia macedonia (red)
    sedum Autumn Joy (lots)
    Hosta Golden Tiara
    Hyssop (agastache) some big yellow variety
    Hyssop (agastacge) blue (not Blue fortune but a smaller flowered unnamed variety)

Hosta Blue Cadet
    Rhodotypus a shrub that blooms anywhere. Not choice, but tough. Look it up on the internet.
    Angelica gigas
    Lilium hyperion (v. early, fragrant, lemon yellow)

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Marie

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Should we start a new thread for offers and wants for this swap? It's a little hard to get through the 87 posts and find the plants amidst the location/date discussion.

Something like plant lists for lexington swap???

I'd even volunteer to copy relevant text out of this thread into that one ... or someone else could do so who's more patient than me.

• chelone
    18 years ago

Go for it! i think it would be really helpful and I sure don't know how to get it done. Perhaps it ought to go under the Exchages heading? Do you want me to list my "wares" here or wait a bit?

(drooling over some bulbs).

• dawiff
    18 years ago

I think starting a thread on the Exchange side that lists just offers and wants is a good idea.

Hunting through this thread for the relevant posts to copy-n-paste is going to be a chore, though. I know I won't have the patience or the computer time/access to do it this holiday weekend, so if someone wants to give it a go, that's fine with me.

Otherwise, sometime this weekend or on Tuesday someone can just start a new thread on the Exchange side listing what they have to swap and what (if anything) they want.

Alison

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree that starting a part 2 thread either on the Exchange side or on this Discussion forum would be great, with any heading you want to use that has MA Swap in it.

DtD, I don't think anyone has to start going through this long thread and copy/paste info to a new thread. I suggest we just start a new thread and everyone just post to the new thread what their wants/haves are even if they did it once on the old thread. I assume most people have updates to their lists by now anyway.

The only question I have, is will this new thread also work for settling who will bring what, and what time we are meeting etc? I would hate to get confusing with too many threads going on.

Adam

• mayalena
    18 years ago

May I please join you too? I am feeling shy, and will have little to share -- only some purple heucheras, plenty of six-hills giant nepeta, and maybe some foxgloves (mertonensis and/or primrose carousel) -- as my garden is quite new and most of my "babies" are still small.

I will happily bake, or make soup, or bring a big box of coffee, depending on the time.

I would love Ron's fothergilla, some coreopsis, dicentra, corydalis, rudbeckia, caryopteris, etc., but I am embarrassed about being too greedy!

NEXT YEAR, I'll probably have salvia n. caradonna, scabiosa ochreleuca, centranthus, biokovo geraniums, and some hemerocallis...but not quite yet!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I have been thinking about this thread. I think it was the spring swap that got confusing because we had about 5 threads going at the same time about it and you had to check all of them to figure out what information was posted where. I also noticed that the NH swap tried switching to the Exchange and only had about 3 posts to that thread since opening it and people kept posting to the Discussions thread. None of the other swap threads have 90+ threads, so they can continue to use the Discussion threads to talk about who is bringing what and what time it is and how to get there etc. and leave the exchange thread just for wants and haves.

I don't have the patience either to copy/paste all the relevant information to a new post. So since I started the thread, I will open a new thread, on the Discussion list this morning. It will simply say Eastern MA Fall Swap 2005 Continued. If people want to continue to post everything to this thread that is fine, if someone would prefer seperating out the wants/haves to an Exchange thread feel free to start a thread there. At least we will then have only two threads going basically.

Ready, set, go..

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a link to the continued thread.

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Mayalena, please do come. In the spring I only had a few chamomile plants and some lobelia to share. I came home with at least 50 plants, maybe more. There might not be quite the same bounty since many of those were winter-sown seedlings, but there is sure no lack of generosity in this group. :)