Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Juicy Little Tid Bits

runktrun
16 years ago

I thought we could use a thread to share some of those informative gems we all come across from time to time. The following is quoted from"The Truth About Garden RemediesÂWhat Works What DoesnÂt & Why" by Jeff Gillman.

In most cases hydrogels donÂt work very well. While these products have shown themselves somewhat useful in some tests, they havenÂt proven themselves on a consistent basis, and when they have reduced watering frequency they havenÂt reduced it by much.

There is one application where these gels can be counted on to be effective. When removing a plant from the ground without including any soil on the roots for transplant, some people like to fill a bucket with hydrogels and water and dip the roots of the removed plant into this bucket. The hydrogels will stick to the roots and help prevent them from drying out when they are removed from the bucket and moved to a location where they are to be planted (as long as the move is a short distance).

I thought this was a great suggestion for that crisis time when you have dug up a plant only to have all of the soil fall off its roots.

Comments (13)

• chazparas
    16 years ago

KT,
    Thanks for putting that out here! I just moved an orchid tree seedling (bauhinia ?) from Fl. Had to remove the soil and wrap in wet towels for the transfer, the gel idea would have really helped. Well next time!
    Thanks agian,
    Chaz

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks Katy. I always wonder when people talk about mixing this stuff with their garden soil ... it's one of those processes that can't easily be undone, so I'd want to be pretty sure I knew what was in this before I'd consider adding it to my soil. Soil in a pot is one thing, in the ground is another entirely.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Yes I always wondered why people were so hyped about the gel stuff. We used it our first year planting pots downtown and it didn't seem to do a thing re: water conservation.

I'd like to get that book. There are so many gardening "remedies" floating around that are ineffective, but they still keep getting passed around like gospel.

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

I wonder if he writes about any of those Jerry Baker remedies; one of my siblings is always telling me to put strange combinations of things on plants/lawns. I never do it, because I like to know *why* I'm doing something, how it is going to work, and not just be told to do it.

• lise_b
    16 years ago

dtd, various members of my family do the same thing only with the latest and greatest nutritional supplements for people. I guess everybody needs a hobby. *G*

I'm disappointed to hear about the gel though. I was considering adding it to my (few (remaining)) potted plants, in hopes fewer of them would kick the bucket that way when I inevitably forgot to water.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To be honest my snob-o-meter passed this book up twice before I was in a situation where I was waiting for a car repair killing time in a mall....thank goodness I never had to leave the book store (Barnes & Noble). This book reads much like the "Cooks Illustrated" cook book series of books where they look at the science of the food/plant and explore many different approaches to different recipes/garden techniques and come to a conclusive recipe/technique. This is a great gardening book to reserve at your local library and if you find your self renewing it, you may then want to go and make the purchase. kt

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Our garden club donates books to our local libraries and I think I'll put this one on our list to purchase.

I have noticed that David Austin Roses ships their bareroot roses with bits of this gel stuff clinging to the roots.

btw, I love Cook's Illustrated. Off topic, but does anyone watch their tv show "America's Test Kitchen"?

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Yes, I like cooks illustrated, though I let my subscription lapse because I stopped cooking. I like ATK on tv, but BY FAR prefer Posh Nosh. If you haven't seen it on PBS, try to watch an episode. They will show you how to strangle cucumbers and harass spinach. Excellent cooking show, especially appreciated by those of us who have given up cooking.

Excerpts of the book "The Truth About Garden Remedies..." are on Amazon, it looks pretty good (as in based on science) but I couldn't find specific remedies, just the introductory material about plant biology and soil chemistry.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    16 years ago

I know this is a bit off the topic perhaps, but I have to disagree with Jeff Gillman. I have found that since I started adding hydrogel to the soil for my potted plants that I have had no crispy crtters. Due to contstruction on the east side of my house, my pots are now on a windy, west-facing sunny patio that reaches well over 90 degrees most days in June, July, and part of August. I haven't lost a plant yet this summer nor did I for the past 5 or so summers on the east side. Prior to using the hydrogel, I rarely had any surviving potted plants other than geraniums, rosemary, and others that don't need such regular water. I don't put it in my regular soil, but I love it in my pots!

• tomakers
    16 years ago

Posh Nosh is a great show. I love the organic ingredients they use. Tuesday nights on RI PBS is when I have caught it. It is only about 10 to 15 minutes, usually about 10:45 PM. Right after Vicar of Dibley, which is also pretty good. Try and catch it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posh Nosh

• runktrun
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nhbabs,
    I don't necessarily feel passionate either way about this issue but I too have had remarkable fewer losses in my containers over the last few years but I am attributing that to much better potting soil mixes. I love the quality of Coast Of Maine products.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

In my front window boxes, same potting soil, same impatiens, same roof overhang blocking off most of the rain, I've gone from daily wilting and watering to two to three times a week watering with the water gels. It really was a quite remarkable and unmistakable difference. At this point, I don't like potting plants without them because the couple of times I've said, 'don't bother, I'll plant it in the ground next week', they've died in the pots a couple of months later.

As for how well they work in the ground, the only real testimonials I've heard have been from bearded iris people who are using them for a completely different purpose - soaking up excess water while newly planted rhizomes get their root systems established.

• mehearty
    16 years ago

Runktrun, I second the mention of Coast of Maine products. I love the potting soil. This year for my hanging baskets I did CoM potting soil w/ some Miracle Grow 3 month fertilized soil and whammo! It was just the right combination.

I find anything with CoM potting soil needs to be watered much less. I try to wait until end of season sales to stock up.