Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Connecticut Fall Swap, can we start talking?

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

I know it's still a bit early but let's start talking about the fall swap.

Comments (97)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

forget about the mountain laurel, I went behing the garage yesterday after work and it didn't make it.

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Hi, Javaandjazz

It's okay. You're list is impressive.

Too bad, I don't have room or enough sun for some of the plants.

Thanks,
    Tina

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Will post my list by tonight... PROMISE!!

/ Marty

(Has anyone -- Deb? -- called Wolfe Park to "advise" them we will be descending on them once again?)

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Here's what I know so far:

Rose campion
    Carex 'Ice Dance'
    Unnamed (but beautiful) double-petal orange daylilies (TALL)
    Small stephanandra incisa crispa (might have another)
    Assorted ferns
    Stella d'Oro daylilies
    Tovara (Painter's Palette)

I'm sure there's more ... rain interrupted me this evening before I got all the way around. Might have some teeny quince plants or a small andromeda. Monarda is looking tired but there's lots of it (purple-pink standard issue).

I'll finalize tomorrow...

/ Marty

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

big bump!

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

I was about to do that!!

I can add Penstemon - Husker Red and an unknown white variety - to my list. I may have a couple of rooted pots of Blanche Sandman honeysuckle (I potted little rootlings... no idea if they'll take or not). Plus LOTS of Pacific Coast iris for those of you with greenhouses or solariums :)

Wondering where everyone is...?

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

"Is anybody THERE?...
    Does anybody CARE?...." - John Adams, 1776

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may be giving away my plants on freecycle!

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Hi, All

I'm still here and I do care. Lol

I still plan on going. Did we ever post a time?

Javaandjazz, what does 'freecycle'mean?

-Tina

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think we usually have it around 10:30 or 11am

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

I've been trying to post this all day:

11 am!

but I keep getting rejected.

I'm getting a complex... ;)

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Is anyone interested in 4 gerbera plants? One has white flowers but I don't know the colors of the rest of them. They didn't like my yard. :-(

I won't be able to over winter them.

Also, I have some 6in to just over a foot tall boxwood shrubs. I don't know the exact variety.

Let me know and I'll dig them up.

-Tina

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Is anyone interested in 4 gerbera plants? One has white flowers but I don't know the colors of the rest of them. They didn't like my yard. :-(

I won't be able to over winter them.

Also, I have some 6in to just over a foot tall boxwood shrubs. I don't know the exact variety.

Let me know and I'll dig them up.

-Tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Tina, I would be interested in the boxwood please. Do you know the variety?

Thanks,
    Dee

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Hi, Dee

Sorry, I don't know the variety. I couldn't even begin to guess. However, here's a picture.

{{gwi:1086822}}

-Tina

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

11 days and counting!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photo, Tina. I would like one please. Thanks!

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Bump... (and brrrr...feeling like fall though I'm sure there's an Indian summer heat spell coming... before the predicted "brutal" winter!)

Is this really on??? I see the following attendees: Richie, me, Carl, Dee, Tina, Deb, Laura... am I missing anyone? That's only 7 people... is that the total coming? Shades of 2 years ago... hordes "lurking" ??? Or is it really just us diehards?

PS: Just want to add that if we do it, I also have Geranium Rozanne...

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to make some pumpkin bread.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Gee I *hope* more people come. I don't really have much to bring. I haven't been out in the garden in weeks. I was really just coming to see everyone!

Dee

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Dee, you got it.

Javaandjazz, pumpkin bread sounds great.

I will bring a bag of Dove chocolate.

Also, does anyone feel like home made baked mac-n-cheese?

I can bring a tray.

-Tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Anyone interested in a viburnum Blue Muffin? The thing has just never done well for me. Well, it has grown well, but doesn't fruit much (does it need a pollinator??) and it gets hit with the viburnum leaf beetle - so badly this year that I did not think it would recover. But it has put on some new growth. It's about 6 or 7 feet tall and only about 2 to 3 feet in diameter. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll dig it up!

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am bringing so much and I hope I don't have to bring it back home and sink it all in the ground for the winter!

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Here's my list (again) - I'll be gone a few days before the swap so need to dig NOW if anyone wants them...

Rose campion
    Stella D'Oro daylilies
    Geranium Rozanne
    Very small stephanandra incisa (shrub, grows fast)
    Assorted misc. ferns
    Rootings (potted) of Blanche Sandman honeysuckle (does NOT mildew ... ever!)
    Carex 'Ice Dance'
    Alpine strawberries galore

Only thing I think anyone has asked for is the Carex.

I'll bring a blueberry buckle.

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Hi,

ctlady, yes, I am the one who asked for the Carex. Can I also get the geranium?

Also, I would like to add that I have Papaver orientale -oriental poppy. Any takers?

-Tina

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll take the blueberry buckle if it's not spoken for!

• lidigentri
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone! I just decided to take a look to see if there would be a Fall swap and came across this posting! I am definitely planning on coming, however, i just moved into a new house and will not have a lot of plants for swapping. But, if anyone is interested in pachysandra, vinca, or ferns, i have plenty of that and will be more than happy to dig some up.

My wish list would consist of some Carex, stephanandra, geranium Rozanne, Solomon seal, if any of those are still unspoken for or available, i would be interested ....

Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. Liliane

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Hey Liliane! So glad you can make it. It will be great to see you again - it's been awhile!

:)
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

I forgot to list the rest:

Tovara (Painter's Palette)
    Double-petaled orange daylilies, which have been out of the ground for a month and are somewhat sad looking as a result but are tough as nails and will be fine next spring - VERY tall flower stems, need to be at the back of a border or bed).
    Blackberry lilies (I think ... pretty sure that's what they are but could not swear to it. Iris-like foliage (flat), very interesting plants.
    Lysimachia ciliata âÂÂfirecrackerâ (from Hedy)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

showers forecasted for sunday.

• hunt4carl
    11 years ago

Sorry to have been silent for so long, but I've been doing battle with an
    impending schedule conflict here in the Garden State. . .and as of this evening,
    it appears there will be no CT Fall Swap for this Yankee-In-Exile on Sunday.
    Not that I had that much to offer this time around - it was definitely NOT a
    garden-friendly summer down here! - but everything will winter over just fine
    and I can trot stuff out for the Spring Swap. . .there WILL be a Spring Swap,
    right?

Enjoy your day, even if you have to bring an umbrella!

Carl

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

does anyone have a havahart trap for a woodchuck they are not using right now, that I can borrow for awhile?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whoops, I mean ground hog

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Sorry you won't be able to make it Carl. Looking forward to meeting you in the spring.

As for the trap, sorry, I do not have one.

As for rain, this morning the weather man said that the rain will be clearing up for Sunday.

Cross my fingers.

-Tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Darn, Carl, we'll miss you up here in Wilton. ;) Hope you make it up in the spring!

What the heck is a blueberry buckle? I thought it was dessert until someone claimed it....

Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dee, it is dessert and I am taking it all for myself!

• hunt4carl
    11 years ago

As kids, we were always told that blueberry buckle was a particularly potent
    liquer made from fermented blueberries - it delivered quite a belt. . . :>)

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

We eat the buckles for breakfast... More of a coffee cake. Definitely NON alcoholic :)

And we have a larger Havahart trap... Might not be large enough for an adult woodchuck but it would catch juveniles. But good luck catching ANY of them!! :(
    Marty

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Hey! I posted last night and its not here now!

Anyway, what I said was, Richie, after I posted asking about the bluebery buckle, I got to wondering - I figured it was indeed a dessert and you were just claiming it for yourself! LOL. Why didn't I think of that....?

Dee

• ego45
    11 years ago

Stopped here to say "Hello!" to my friends.
    Despite me being absent on the Forum I'm still pretty much alive and will spend this winter in the same house))
    Unfortunately, I'll be not able to attend 9/30 swap, but have an alternative offer for those who is willing to travel to Westport on 10/7....and still need more plants)
    My perennial and hosta collections desperately need a dividing and if you come you'll be able to either divide or take the whole mature clumps of almost everything in a garden. Bring your own showels....and sharpen them!)

Beside perennials there is a lot of (40-50?) hydrangeas (mac, serrata and paniculata) of different ages (1 to 3 y.o.) grown from seeds and already survived 1 winter in the ground.
    Plus peony (3-4 clumps).
    Plus actinidia kolomikta (hardy kiwi) and some other things I can't think of the names right now.
    In another words I'm proposing the new event: "Save the Jungle!"))

George.

P.S. The only things I may need would be some red monarda and rudbeckia for my son's garden since I don't have any of them in my own to spare(

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Hello George! Good to hear from you but I'm sorry you can't make it tomorrow. Hope things are well with you - I bet you've been spending lots of time this summer on that slope in your son's yard, lol!

:)
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Hi George!!

Good to hear from you but sorry you will miss tomorrow! I have red monarda (Jacob Cline?) and tons of rudbeckia of all kinds including 'Henry Eilers' (if you're interested in that one) - do you want the hardy-takes-over-your-garden standards like "Goldsturm"? I think a "Big Dig" sounds like a grand idea! As of now, I'm free! :)

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am hoping some show up today!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Well, I've got brownies in the oven and I'm making labels for the half-dozen plants I'm bringing, so I will be there.

Deb didn't post her usual "swap info" post so I'm wondering if she is coming....?

Hope to see someone (anyone, lol!) there!

Dee

• cloud_9
    11 years ago

Hi! just checking in - I think my ears must have been ringing. I'm coming! I'm sorry I have been noticeably absent, I completely forgot about posting that post. Life has been hectic. If anyone needs directions at this late point they can search for a past swap. Sorry! I may be a bit late.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina and sam, I am trying to post the link to freecycle but the garden board won't let me saying they are getting spam so please email me at javaandjazz@yahoo.com and I will email it to you.

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

My first plant swap was a hit!

I met a group of wonderful people, ate good food and desserts, and came home with a bunch of plants.

BTW, I put most of them in the ground already.

George, I was told by Dee and Marty that your garden is a 'must see'.

May can I finagle an invite to your place next Sunday? If yes, may I email you for directions?

Thank you,
    Tina

• ego45
    11 years ago

Tina,
    Look at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Dig

• lauramg8
    11 years ago

I have things to swap and give if you let me know what your looking for. I could go to westport. Im in Ridgefield if anyone wants to dig here.

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Hi, lauramg8

I'm looking for mostly shade plants.

I need to fill an area between my house and driveway. It is fairly steep and shaded by my neighbor's house and a very large oak.

The shrubs and bushes that are there now are not doing well. They are leggy and have fungi growing on them. Over all, they just don't look healthy.

There is no ground cover so every time it rains some soil is washing down onto the driveway. The roots on a couple of the dogwoods are more visible now than a couple of years ago.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for since I am new to gardening. I do know that I would like to plant things for the wildlife e.g. food for butterflies, bees, and birds.

-Tina