Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Connecticut Fall Swap, can we start talking?

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 7:19

I know it's still a bit early but let's start talking about the fall swap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Connecticut Fall Swap, can we start talking?

Hi, I would love to participate.

However, since I am new to gardening as of this June, I am not sure what the proper procedures are.

I do have 30 or 40, maybe more, of day lilies to give away. I had already given away 70+. Yes, over 70. I stopped counting.

I don't have enough sun for them to bloom. I inherited these with the house. They are currently sitting under an evergreen. However, they are nice and green and healthy looking.

I also have columbine seeds, carnation seeds, and swamp milkweed seeds.

-Tina

o

Just bumping this up. Is it too early to start talking about dates?

o

Hey, Richie -

Never too early, I say, 'cause I frequently need to plan well ahead. . .
although I wouldn't be surprised to see a sluggish response here, as
many of us are still dealing with one of the most challenging growing
seasons that I have seen in all my years of gardening. Between heat
waves, freakish rain and wind storms, and now many reports of various
molds and fungii, I suspect folks aren't exactly focused on the joys of a
plant swap!

For what it's worth, the later in September the better for me - didn't we
actually opt for the first Sunday in October one year? Despite the difficult
season, I should have a hefty collection of things to offer, especially since
I'm scaling back and just generally editing.

Tina: this particular CT swap tends to be pretty low-key. . .by following this
post over the next six weeks or so, you'll se it sort of organically take on
a life of it's own. Some people DO post lists of plants they are planning to
bring, and many of us DO make "reservations" with each other for specific
plants we might covet. . .but it's all done right here, quite publicly, and it
actually works pretty well. There is NO requirement that you bring anything
to the swap, except your enthusiasm (and food offerings are always
welcome - you'll see how that works in the weeks leading up to the swap)
. . .I think you'll find that we're a fairly congenial bunch. Over the last
few years, we have been meeting in Wolfe State Park, in Wilton, CT, but
that, too, will be discussed again this year, I'm sure. . .full instructions
on how to find the swap will be posted, along with any Park-mandated
regulations.

One thought about the daylilies, since you suggest that you're a newbie:
many folks will want to know a varietal name for any daylilies you offer,
or a color, at the very least. . .but, if you inherited them, you simply might
not know that info - in which case, someone just "might" be interested
'cause they want to fill a huge space. . .or they like surprises!

Hope you can join us in the Fall. . .

Carl
(The Yankee-In-Exile, which explains why I'm posting from New Jersey!)

o

Never too early to talk swap (well, hardly ever!) I know I have a crazy fall shaping up, so picking a date sooner rather than later would be a help.

Tina_n_Sam: those daylilies are tough as nails. They're fine resting under an evergreen until you find takers. I left some (accidentally) next to my woodpile one year, totally unprotected (had pulled them out and meant to relocate them, then forgot about them; they were back gangbusters the next spring, greening up right where I'd piled them. (Do you know the colors of the ones you have?)

I should have a fair bit of stuff as I'm hoping to do some bed reorganization/renovation (if it ever cools off enough to work out there!) this fall, but I won't know my list of what I have until I get going with that...

We didn't do a swap last fall so I've forgotten when we normally aim for??

o

Carl and I seem to be on the same wavelength today!

Tina_n_Sam: forgot to mention that in addition to lists of things people have to offer, people (like me!) also sometimes list things they would like to have in their gardens, in hopes that someone has some and is willing to share. So you'll see lists of things people have to offer as well as lists of things they would like to have. In addition to whatever plants people may request (which should arrive at the swap labeled with the name of the person who requested it), people usually bring other plants as well -- either extra divisions of already spoken-for plants, or else "surprise" plants (which can be the most fun!) Be sure you label a plant someone has asked for with the person's name, and try to label other plants (like the daylilies) with whatever you know about them -- i.e., color if you know it (though plenty of mystery plants always arrive and there are always eager gardeners ready to give them a good home!)

And speaking of wish lists: there are two grasses I am looking for:

Chasmanthium latifolium 'River Mist' (variegated sea oats)
Molinia caerulea 'Variegata'

if anyone has them...?

o

Marty -

You can have (please, please, take them!) the HUNDREDS of Chasmanthium seedlings spread throughout my garden last year by Hurrican Irene. . .
Oh, damn, you want something "special" - Sea Mist - had no idea there
was a variegated form. . .

At the risk of sounding redundant, Variegated Foliage Nursery has them
both!

Carl

o

Carl, I realize it's a long drive for you, but don't you even know where you are driving to? Wolfe Park is in Monroe, not Wilton. ;)

I am so far from even thinking about a fall swap. Let me rephrase that - I'm thinking along the lines of having it at my house and just letting everyone dig up my entire garden and take it away. That should tell you how I'm feeling about the garden right now!

But, I can't be a Debbie Downer, even if my name is Debbie. I'm sure when the weather cools off and I get bathroom renovations and septic repairs and tuition payments behind me I will be suitably excited for a fall swap!

Although, the swap may be sooner than later - considering how all the fall bloomers are in bloom now, I should have the garden clean-up done by Labor Day, lol!

Dee

o

Dee -

Funny, I've always driven to Wilton, and yet you were there. . .:>)

You are SO right about early Fall bloomers. . .never have I had
Helianthus blooming at the end of July. . .and the tall asters have already
started. . .even so, it appears to be just some of the flowers on any given plant are in bloom, while others may hold off until their usual bloom time. Still would love to swap in early October, after it really cools down - anybody
for October 7th?

Carl

o

True about all the fall bloomers hitting their stride early. My Japanese Anemones are just about ready to pop and will probably be done by the end of September. Crazy bloom times this year!

I would love to join you all because we missed the one last year, but I'll be away on "Grandma Duty" from September 17 to October 20. My daughter who lives in France just had a second child and I'll be staying with them for a whole month! I can't wait to see all my little bunnies!

Molie

o

"...Funny, I've always driven to Wilton, and yet you were there. . .:>) ..."

Hmm, maybe it's *me* that doesn't know where they're going, lol!

Yes, helianthus in bloom here too! What's up with that? And goldenrod in bloom, and asters and anemones in bud. And forget the darn mums. I just can't cut them back any more. I must have done it about 5 or 6 times this year so far and they're still going to bloom early. Pheh!! Or, should I say, pshaw! Pshaw is a much more fun word to say!

Molie congrats and have a great trip. Yeah, I'd take a trip to France, especially to see grandbabies, over a swap any day!

Dee

o

ok, I'll propose a date then. How bout the last day in september.....the 30th?

o

uh duh, I just noticed that Carl already asked for a date...sorry Carl.

o

Either Sept. 30 or Oct. 7 is okay with me... the only thing I wonder is whether the park will be a problematic location for the 7th given that's the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. I'm not sure what happens if the park is full -- is Columbus Day weekend a big family picnic time? -- or a Monroe resident, for instance, reserves the picnic grove? I don't think we have any Monroe residents in the swap any more to give us legitimacy in making a reservation request, do we? The 7th sounds better in terms of potential heat waves (it WILL be cooler by then, right??) but I could do either.

o

Cooler? Geez if it's like last year it might be snowing!

;)
Dee

o

Now that marty mentions Oct 7th is Columbus day weekend, I might not be around.

o

I have 3 plumarias, one about my height,one a bit smaller , and one small one. The big one has several branches that can be snapped off and rooted. Do any of you want to claim them now?

o

Hey, folks!
Just under six weeks remaining before September 30th - and a possible
Fall Plant Swap. That date seems to be the only viable one suggested
so far (Oct. 7th includes the Columbus Day weekend). . .shall we nail it
down and go for it? Anybody in the market for more Hydrangea "Nikko
Blue"?

Carl

o

Carl, funny you say Nikko blue bc it's on my list of plants to get. I put in all my taller shrubs and small trees and now I am just starting to work on my middle/front layor of my mixed shrub borders.
I can trade you just about any color clematis you could think of. I haven't gotten around to planting all of my brushwood purchases.
Thanks, Laura.
(ps, I met you at the spring swap)

o

Does anyone have birch branches or limbs?

o
OMG I miss you

OMG! I miss you so much. I spend more time on NE forum than Carolinas. Want to thank you all for the wedding gift, hope to drive to Niche Gardens in Oct. Much too hot here to plant anything before then. Have a great swap! Abi and Gary

o

BUMP.

Are we HAVING a fall swap?? This thread seems to have ground to a halt... is there a date? (Oct. 7? another date?) The longer we wait to decide if this is a "go" or not, the less likely it will be that people can come.

Fall is always harder than spring in terms of drumming up enthusiasm, but we need to decide soon if people are to make plans ... pencil it in... dig a few plants... or call it off...

o

Marty, I guess that date works for me so far,no plans layed in stone for that day as of today. I have about 3-4 zebra grasses, 3-4 blue star ground cover,about 5-6 pyracantha,several rose of sharon started, some small japanese maple seedlings,a very tiny holly shrub, and a very tiny yew bush I found growing in a bed and I think 2 small black eyed susans.

o

Hi Abi! Hi Gary! You guys look great! Is this your wedding photo? What fun! Congrats again to you both. We miss you too - the spring swap just wasn't quite the same without you!

As I was out watering today I was eyeing a few things to dig up to bring. I just realized, however, that the 7th is the first Sunday of the month, which means I have to drive up to Litchfield to pick up my beef CSA. Gee, this is the second time this happened. I think Deb and I have to make some kind of arrangement where she can pick up my beef and bring it down to the swap for me ... ;)

Dee

o

Why don't we have it september 30th then so Dee can make it? I am open to a saturday also.

o

I'm open to Saturdays, too, though I think in general, people tend to have more plans (family, kids' sports, etc.) on Saturdays than Sundays? I'm fine with Sept. 30 as well, and it might be easier than Columbus Day weekend in terms of the park grove being available... Mostly, though, we just need to PICK a date!

How are people with Sept. 30?

/ Marty

o

looks like this swap is going to consist of about half a dozen people! Let's just set the date and go for it! The last sunday in september?

o

I'm very flattered but don't change the date for me! If September 30th works well for everyone, that's great, but if the 7th is better for most, then we should go with that. Obviously the 30th is better for me, lol.

Saturdays are not good for me, as I work, so I'm hoping we stick with a Sunday.

Richie, I think you are right - it will be only a half dozen people! Where is everyone? I guess it seems too early to think about a fall swap for most people. I know I'm still in "summer" mode myself.

Perhaps we should think about trying to get a head count if we can. I'm just thinking of people from the other end of the state and also Carl - I'd hate to see them all drive so far and we are only going to have 5 or 6 people! Especially if one of those people is me, who really doesn't have much stuff to bring to swap!

Dee

o

I agree on getting a head count if we can. I do remember the one two years back, when only about a half dozen people said they'd be coming (and I remember suggesting we might want to cancel so Carl didn't make that long trek for such a small gathering) ... and it was a dreary, damp, chilly day... and about 30 people showed up!!!! (Remember Carl?) But it turned out to be a great swap (I know I got rid of my hops at that one!) But I agree with Dee: if it's just a handful of people, we might want to reconsider and perhaps just wait til spring. I personally find that it's FALL when I notice how badly overgrown something is and am willing to just dig it out and split it up. By spring, I'm usually thinking "I'll give it ONE more chance to behave where it is..."

I'm open to anything and will have stuff. Some of it is stuff that's been out of the ground and sitting in a corner of the driveway while I try to figure out where to put it.

I know I have some lovely daylilies that I would call "ditch lilies" except that they have beautiful double, slightly ruffled blooms. But definitely orange. VERY tall, I have lots of them. And geranium Rozanne. Ferns. Maybe a white rugosa rose if I bite the bullet and pull it out this year.

But I do agree -- for those coming a distance, we really need to know who's in and who's not so they know whether to make the trek.

o

Well, okay then, I guess we should start with a date. The 30th is good for me, and seems okay for Marty, Carl, and Richie, is that right? Laura and Tina haven't mentioned which, if either, of those dates is good for them. And poor Molie will be stuck in France and can't make it. ;) No one else has posted here.

So, should we go with the 30th?

Should we start a separate post with a confirmed date or continue here? And how should we (and who) decides IF we go ahead with the swap?

Where the heck is everyone? We've gotten more responses from out-of-staters (Carl, Abi) than from Nutmeggers, lol!

Dee

o

OMG - You all are too funny! You do this every year! I never even think about the Fall swap until my crazy busy August is over and the kids are back in school. September 30 works best for me. I'm sure some people just wait to find out the date and don't weigh in until the date gets closer and sometimes not even then - they just show up! and that is fine too as long as everyone don't start getting pessimistic.
Signed,
Pollyanna
: D

o

The let's confirm september 30th! Look how may people showed up at the last swap that do not even post on here. Ha, maybe we need to set a rule saying that if you don't confirm you are coming then no plants for you...LOL!

o

Hey, Pollyanna! There you are! Figured you'd show up sooner or later, lol.

Okay, so I guess the 30th it is! Geez, that will be here before we know it!

Dee

o

O.K. I've just returned tonight from a 7-day jaunt through Vermont, NH,
Massachusetts, RI and CT. . .I waved to everyone as I whizzed past! Now,
here's my declarative statement on all the Fall Swap date waffling: I shall
be at Monroe Park, on Sunday, September 30th, with a car full of plants. . .
hope you all can join me.

Very flattering that y'all worry about my making the trip, but I keep telling
you, I'll use ANY excuse to scoot on up to New England! My plant list
should be on-line in the next few days.

Carl

o

Well, I guess that's that, lol! The swap is offically on!

;)
Dee

o

Hi, All

Count me in for Sept 30th!

Sorry I haven't joined in the conversation. I have been lurking.

Being the newbie, I figure I would let everyone find the day that best fits their schedule and I would 'tag' along.

I just want to confirm that the meeting site is Wolfe Park on 285 Cutlers Farm Rd in Monroe (off of Route 111).

Gardenweed, if you're out there and plan on attending, please let me know. I would love to take you up on your offer of Japanese sedge. Upon your advice, I decided not to put the hydrangea in so now I have room for the Japanese sedge.

I don't have much. Here's what I have:
-Platycodon 'Astra Double Blue' (I need to give these away. They're not doing well here.)
-Day lilies (inherited with the house and never bloomed so I don't know what color)
-Yellow threadleaf coreopsis (went nuts with the rain)
-Japanese toad lilies that grow about 3feet tall have pink flowers with dark purple dots (I love these guys. They are survivors.)
-variegated euonymus (green and white)

Are seeds okay to bring? I have white swamp milkweed seeds (Ascelpia incarnata), rose campion, and pink columbine.

I would love a variety of shade plants to brighten my shady spots. Here is my wish list:
-Brunnera 'Jack frost'
-foam flowers or anything with white flowers (dicentra)
-meadow rue (low growing or tall ones)
-lungwort
-variegated Jacob's ladder
-anything yellow/lime green (huechera? grasses?)
-anything anyone wants to give me that I cannot kill LOL

I would like to feed the birds that live in my area. So, if someone has a compact native bush (3'-4') that produces fruits for our birds, I would love it.

I know that I don't have a lot for trade. If it is okay with everyone, perhaps I can trade other items for the plants.

For animal lovers, I can trade:
-home made organic doggy biscuits made with human ingredients and no preservatives (My dog and I taste tested them and we both love them. The dogs at the animal shelter love them too!)
-hand made crochet cat toys stuffed with organic catnip (Did I mention you have a choice of eggplant, carrot, strawberry, mouse? Maybe more choices if I can crochet more before Sept 30th.)

I'm so excited to go to my very first Plant Swap! So, if you see someone turning in circles and bumping into things, 'that be me'!

-Tina

o

Tina, yes the swap is at Wolfe Park, but it would be easier to use the entrance on Purdy Hill Road, right near Benedicts. The swap location is much closer to that entrance.

Don't worry about not having stuff to trade, or feeling pressured to bring something else to make up for lack of plants. Just bring what you have and something chocolate and we'll let you in. Okay, okay, it doesn't HAVE to be chocolate, but IMO you'll make more friends if it is, lol! Seriously, just bring whatever plants you have and something to eat and you're good to go.

Dee

o

Tina, I don't know if you can use it but I have a ton (thanks to George's generosity in the past!) of Carex 'Ice Dance' if you can use something fairly low. It's indestructible :) I do have some variegated Jacob's Ladder and if I can tease a division of it, I will bring some for you. I also have a perfectly stunning pulmonaria ('Moonshine') I bought this spring. I can try to divide it, but might have to wait for next spring when it's a bit bigger. What about Painter's Palette (Tovara)? -- I have that in unlimited quantities (and so will you, if you take one! :) It is stunning but reseeds like mad. Easy to pull the seedlings (or relocate them) but you WILL have them everywhere. Let me know if you (or anyone else) wants any of these.

Have to cruise the garden a bit before I can put together a real list.

If anyone has grow lights or a good winter environment... I have tons of new little iris Douglasiana... a California iris. Utterly stunning flower but not hardy so one would have to overwinter and plant in spring as an annual. Harvest seed and replant for subsequent years. Maybe (meaning, I have no clue if that would work...!) I planted the seeds I brought home (shhhh!) from my daughter's California garden and forgot about them. Six months later -- POP! They are up in four pots, 2-3 inch high little cuties. DOZENS of them. Anyone wants some to try to nurse through the winter, I am happy to share. But they would not be hardy outside, I am quite sure.

/ Marty

o

Here is a photo of the iris from my daughter's garden in the Bay area (seeds of which have sprouted into dozens of baby irises)... it grows everywhere out there. I'm assuming it's the Douglasiana since that was the only thing I found close to it. This is a photo of the actual flower in her yard.

If no one wants to try baby-iris-sitting til spring, can someone suggest a feasible plan of action I could attempt (anyone had any luck doing something like this?) I did post to the iris forum... no one has dared post a response to the idiot from New England who wants to grow these things in zone 6!...

o

Dee, you're too funny! Thanks for the direction. You have earned chocolate! ;-)

Marty, yes, I would love the Carex.

No worries on the Jacob's Ladder...I misspoke. I meant the variegated Solomon seal. The pulmonaria sounds great but no worries since it's young.

As for the painter's palette, yes, I would love to try that in the garden.

You get chocolate too! Lol

As for the iris, that is Beautiful! Not that I've tried, but can you put it in a coldframe? Maybe, try one of the coldframe without a bottom so you could just pop it right over the iris...

-Tina

o

Oh, there are a lot of possible over-wintering strategies. What is likely to work best depends on the specific life-cycle of the plant. If you don't know that, then things get tricky. Given that these are part of the Iris grouping known as Pacific Coast Iris, or PCI, and those guys are notoriously difficult to grow outside of their native setting, this may be quite a learning experience.

The hardest part may be getting the watering right.

o

Wow, Marty, that is gorgeous!

Dee

o

Ah, thank you, mad_gallica! That's already more than I knew (the Iris grouping) -- sounds like a real horticultural challenge (at least the seeds were free, so as long as I don't invest a fortune in equipment, it will be a fun, if perhaps fruitless, exercise). They are such healthy looking little babies -- it took them from mid-March until August to do a darn thing. I'd forgotten that was even what was in those pots, having set them aside and given up all hope by late June. Then all of sudden these brilliant green shoots appeared a few weeks ago. I will have to research their life-cycle.

Now back to swaps ... you won't believe this, Tina. My husband came home JUST last Friday to tell me that Yale (where he works) had ripped out BLOCKS of variegated Solomon Seal overnight! It was growing all around his building and nearby ones, between the buildings and the parking areas and sidewalks (he was curious about it and brought a sample home last spring and we ID'd it). He said they pulled it all out and replaced it with sod! I've already told him to keep his eyes out for dumpsters filled with the stuff and GRAB SOME (it was beautiful!) but I expect it's already in some huge compost pile somewhere. I'm sure they had a good reason, but it does make one wonder what it was, since I doubt very much that the Solomon Seal ever needed mowing ... fertilizing ... edging... :)

Will bring plenty of the Carex plus the Tovara. I have another very pretty variegated plant which someone gave me but I have no clue what it is... I'll try to ID before I offer it. Have lots of it, too (it spreads) but it's very pretty, green leaves with deep pink and loves shade (and looks great with the Tovara).

How petite is your Platycodon 'Astra Double Blue'? I might try some if it really stays under a foot or so...

o

Marty,

Oh, those Solomon Seal are expensive too!

The Platycodon is petite. The tag says 8" - 10". The tallest ones only grew to about 8". Probably, because they didn't get enough sun.

-Tina

o

Here is my list so far:
rose of sharon-10 plants

pyracantha-7 plants

very small yew and I mean tiny-1 plant

red maples-5 plants

zebra grass-4 plants

pink yarrow-4 plants

dwarf korean lilac-10 plants(some new transplants not sure all will live yet)

holly either blue prine or princess-1 plant very small

african violet(s) purple 1 so far and maybe a few more

jade plants-not sure how many yet

confetti geranium-1 plant

mountain laurel-1 small(I dug out a shrub that wasn't growing well & divided it

kousa dogwood-6 small trees

normal white every day dogwood-3 small trees

peach tree-1(from a pit that either a squirrel or someone threw in my yard and started growing

black eyed susans-2 plants

wintergreen-3 plants started

barberry-5 green and 1 red

leucothoe-1 small shrub started

o

Hello?

o

Javaandjazz,

How large will the Mountain Laurel get?

I was looking at some of the ones that get only about 4' tall and wide.

That's funny about your peach tree.

-Tina

o

Hi Tina, I'm not sure how tall it will get but it's tiny right now, only about 6 inches. It wasn't doing well, so we pulled it out and cut it way back, divided it and I am going to keep one piece and start all over. We kept it about 2 feet in height. I keep most shrubs trimmed on the smaller side since my yard is very small.

o

forget about the mountain laurel, I went behing the garage yesterday after work and it didn't make it.

o

Hi, Javaandjazz

It's okay. You're list is impressive.

Too bad, I don't have room or enough sun for some of the plants.

Thanks,
Tina

o

Will post my list by tonight... PROMISE!!

/ Marty

(Has anyone -- Deb? -- called Wolfe Park to "advise" them we will be descending on them once again?)

o

Here's what I know so far:

Rose campion
Carex 'Ice Dance'
Unnamed (but beautiful) double-petal orange daylilies (TALL)
Small stephanandra incisa crispa (might have another)
Assorted ferns
Stella d'Oro daylilies
Tovara (Painter's Palette)

I'm sure there's more ... rain interrupted me this evening before I got all the way around. Might have some teeny quince plants or a small andromeda. Monarda is looking tired but there's lots of it (purple-pink standard issue).

I'll finalize tomorrow...

/ Marty

o

big bump!

o

I was about to do that!!

I can add Penstemon - Husker Red and an unknown white variety - to my list. I may have a couple of rooted pots of Blanche Sandman honeysuckle (I potted little rootlings... no idea if they'll take or not). Plus LOTS of Pacific Coast iris for those of you with greenhouses or solariums :)

Wondering where everyone is...?

o

"Is anybody THERE?...
Does anybody CARE?...." - John Adams, 1776

o

I may be giving away my plants on freecycle!

o

Hi, All

I'm still here and I do care. Lol

I still plan on going. Did we ever post a time?

Javaandjazz, what does 'freecycle'mean?

-Tina

o

I think we usually have it around 10:30 or 11am

o

I've been trying to post this all day:

11 am!

but I keep getting rejected.

I'm getting a complex... ;)

o

Is anyone interested in 4 gerbera plants? One has white flowers but I don't know the colors of the rest of them. They didn't like my yard. :-(

I won't be able to over winter them.

Also, I have some 6in to just over a foot tall boxwood shrubs. I don't know the exact variety.

Let me know and I'll dig them up.

-Tina

o

Is anyone interested in 4 gerbera plants? One has white flowers but I don't know the colors of the rest of them. They didn't like my yard. :-(

I won't be able to over winter them.

Also, I have some 6in to just over a foot tall boxwood shrubs. I don't know the exact variety.

Let me know and I'll dig them up.

-Tina

o

Tina, I would be interested in the boxwood please. Do you know the variety?

Thanks,
Dee

o

Hi, Dee

Sorry, I don't know the variety. I couldn't even begin to guess. However, here's a picture.

Boxwood

-Tina

o

11 days and counting!

o

Thanks for the photo, Tina. I would like one please. Thanks!

Dee

o

Bump... (and brrrr...feeling like fall though I'm sure there's an Indian summer heat spell coming... before the predicted "brutal" winter!)

Is this really on??? I see the following attendees: Richie, me, Carl, Dee, Tina, Deb, Laura... am I missing anyone? That's only 7 people... is that the total coming? Shades of 2 years ago... hordes "lurking" ??? Or is it really just us diehards?

PS: Just want to add that if we do it, I also have Geranium Rozanne...

o

I am going to make some pumpkin bread.

o

Gee I *hope* more people come. I don't really have much to bring. I haven't been out in the garden in weeks. I was really just coming to see everyone!

Dee

o

Dee, you got it.

Javaandjazz, pumpkin bread sounds great.

I will bring a bag of Dove chocolate.

Also, does anyone feel like home made baked mac-n-cheese?

I can bring a tray.

-Tina

o

Anyone interested in a viburnum Blue Muffin? The thing has just never done well for me. Well, it has grown well, but doesn't fruit much (does it need a pollinator??) and it gets hit with the viburnum leaf beetle - so badly this year that I did not think it would recover. But it has put on some new growth. It's about 6 or 7 feet tall and only about 2 to 3 feet in diameter. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll dig it up!

Dee

o

I am bringing so much and I hope I don't have to bring it back home and sink it all in the ground for the winter!

o

Here's my list (again) - I'll be gone a few days before the swap so need to dig NOW if anyone wants them...

Rose campion
Stella D'Oro daylilies
Geranium Rozanne
Very small stephanandra incisa (shrub, grows fast)
Assorted misc. ferns
Rootings (potted) of Blanche Sandman honeysuckle (does NOT mildew ... ever!)
Carex 'Ice Dance'
Alpine strawberries galore

Only thing I think anyone has asked for is the Carex.

I'll bring a blueberry buckle.

o

Hi,

ctlady, yes, I am the one who asked for the Carex. Can I also get the geranium?

Also, I would like to add that I have Papaver orientale -oriental poppy. Any takers?

-Tina

o

I'll take the blueberry buckle if it's not spoken for!

o

Hi Everyone! I just decided to take a look to see if there would be a Fall swap and came across this posting! I am definitely planning on coming, however, i just moved into a new house and will not have a lot of plants for swapping. But, if anyone is interested in pachysandra, vinca, or ferns, i have plenty of that and will be more than happy to dig some up.

My wish list would consist of some Carex, stephanandra, geranium Rozanne, Solomon seal, if any of those are still unspoken for or available, i would be interested ....

Anyway, look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. Liliane

o

Hey Liliane! So glad you can make it. It will be great to see you again - it's been awhile!

:)
Dee

o

I forgot to list the rest:

Tovara (Painter's Palette)
Double-petaled orange daylilies, which have been out of the ground for a month and are somewhat sad looking as a result but are tough as nails and will be fine next spring - VERY tall flower stems, need to be at the back of a border or bed).
Blackberry lilies (I think ... pretty sure that's what they are but could not swear to it. Iris-like foliage (flat), very interesting plants.
Lysimachia ciliata “firecracker” (from Hedy)

o

showers forecasted for sunday.

o

Sorry to have been silent for so long, but I've been doing battle with an
impending schedule conflict here in the Garden State. . .and as of this evening,
it appears there will be no CT Fall Swap for this Yankee-In-Exile on Sunday.
Not that I had that much to offer this time around - it was definitely NOT a
garden-friendly summer down here! - but everything will winter over just fine
and I can trot stuff out for the Spring Swap. . .there WILL be a Spring Swap,
right?

Enjoy your day, even if you have to bring an umbrella!

Carl

o

does anyone have a havahart trap for a woodchuck they are not using right now, that I can borrow for awhile?

o

whoops, I mean ground hog

o

Sorry you won't be able to make it Carl. Looking forward to meeting you in the spring.

As for the trap, sorry, I do not have one.

As for rain, this morning the weather man said that the rain will be clearing up for Sunday.

Cross my fingers.

-Tina

o

Darn, Carl, we'll miss you up here in Wilton. ;) Hope you make it up in the spring!

What the heck is a blueberry buckle? I thought it was dessert until someone claimed it....

Dee

o

Dee, it is dessert and I am taking it all for myself!

o

As kids, we were always told that blueberry buckle was a particularly potent
liquer made from fermented blueberries - it delivered quite a belt. . . :>)

Carl

o

We eat the buckles for breakfast... More of a coffee cake. Definitely NON alcoholic :)

And we have a larger Havahart trap... Might not be large enough for an adult woodchuck but it would catch juveniles. But good luck catching ANY of them!! :(
Marty

o

Hey! I posted last night and its not here now!

Anyway, what I said was, Richie, after I posted asking about the bluebery buckle, I got to wondering - I figured it was indeed a dessert and you were just claiming it for yourself! LOL. Why didn't I think of that....?

Dee

o

Stopped here to say "Hello!" to my friends.
Despite me being absent on the Forum I'm still pretty much alive and will spend this winter in the same house))
Unfortunately, I'll be not able to attend 9/30 swap, but have an alternative offer for those who is willing to travel to Westport on 10/7....and still need more plants)
My perennial and hosta collections desperately need a dividing and if you come you'll be able to either divide or take the whole mature clumps of almost everything in a garden. Bring your own showels....and sharpen them!)

Beside perennials there is a lot of (40-50?) hydrangeas (mac, serrata and paniculata) of different ages (1 to 3 y.o.) grown from seeds and already survived 1 winter in the ground.
Plus peony (3-4 clumps).
Plus actinidia kolomikta (hardy kiwi) and some other things I can't think of the names right now.
In another words I'm proposing the new event: "Save the Jungle!"))

George.

P.S. The only things I may need would be some red monarda and rudbeckia for my son's garden since I don't have any of them in my own to spare(

o

Hello George! Good to hear from you but I'm sorry you can't make it tomorrow. Hope things are well with you - I bet you've been spending lots of time this summer on that slope in your son's yard, lol!

:)
Dee

o

Hi George!!

Good to hear from you but sorry you will miss tomorrow! I have red monarda (Jacob Cline?) and tons of rudbeckia of all kinds including 'Henry Eilers' (if you're interested in that one) - do you want the hardy-takes-over-your-garden standards like "Goldsturm"? I think a "Big Dig" sounds like a grand idea! As of now, I'm free! :)

o

I am hoping some show up today!

o

Well, I've got brownies in the oven and I'm making labels for the half-dozen plants I'm bringing, so I will be there.

Deb didn't post her usual "swap info" post so I'm wondering if she is coming....?

Hope to see someone (anyone, lol!) there!

Dee

o

Hi! just checking in - I think my ears must have been ringing. I'm coming! I'm sorry I have been noticeably absent, I completely forgot about posting that post. Life has been hectic. If anyone needs directions at this late point they can search for a past swap. Sorry! I may be a bit late.

o

Tina and sam, I am trying to post the link to freecycle but the garden board won't let me saying they are getting spam so please email me at javaandjazz@yahoo.com and I will email it to you.

o

My first plant swap was a hit!

I met a group of wonderful people, ate good food and desserts, and came home with a bunch of plants.

BTW, I put most of them in the ground already.

George, I was told by Dee and Marty that your garden is a 'must see'.

May can I finagle an invite to your place next Sunday? If yes, may I email you for directions?

Thank you,
Tina

o

Tina,
Look at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Dig

o

I have things to swap and give if you let me know what your looking for. I could go to westport. Im in Ridgefield if anyone wants to dig here.

o

Hi, lauramg8

I'm looking for mostly shade plants.

I need to fill an area between my house and driveway. It is fairly steep and shaded by my neighbor's house and a very large oak.

The shrubs and bushes that are there now are not doing well. They are leggy and have fungi growing on them. Over all, they just don't look healthy.

There is no ground cover so every time it rains some soil is washing down onto the driveway. The roots on a couple of the dogwoods are more visible now than a couple of years ago.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for since I am new to gardening. I do know that I would like to plant things for the wildlife e.g. food for butterflies, bees, and birds.

-Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here