Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you doing to prepare your veg garden for Irene?

Posted by staceyneil 5b (coastal Maine) (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 7:36

I kept waiting for the track to change so it'd miss us, like Earl last year, but it looks more and more likely that here in coastal Maine we're going to see at least tropical storm force winds. So in addition to getting my sailboat to a safe "hurricane hole" I guess I should think about the vegetable garden.

Since this sort of thing is so rare here, I don't know what to do. The tomatoes are full of fruit: do I really have to pick it all? What does everyone else do in these situations?

Thank you!
STacey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you doing to prepare your veg garden for Irene?

Hello staceyneil,

I am on the southern coast of Maine and I am thinking of the same thing. I was just admiring my bumper crop of tomatoes. THe FIRST time I ever had a bumper crop of tomatoes! And I have been trying to figure out someway to protect them from the wind and rain but I can't think of anything short of building a shed around them that would be strong enough. SO I guess my only solution is to pick all the tomtoes even the green ones and say goodbye to all the tomatoes plants. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear what has worked for you in saving your tomatoe plants during a hurricane.

Blake

o

I figure the tomatoes are my most vulnerable crop so I'll pick everything that is almost ripe. Then figure out what to do with any that end up on the ground.

We don't have corn but I suspect that will suffer from wind damage.

I better have DH put the fabric covered low tunnel in the barn.

Not a good time to be an apple farmer.

o

Like defrost, I'm going to pick anything that is almost ripe. And then I will figure out what to do after the fact. Green tomato salsa???

I'm just outside 128 in the Boston area, and my veggie garden borders our woods, so 1) I don't expect to get the same amount of wind and rain as the coastal areas, and 2) my veggies are a bit protected from Eastern winds.

Personally I'm a bit more concerned about the amount of rain we get and ending up with water in my basement.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 10:24

The farmer at my local farmer's market last week recommended green tomato pie. I'd already bought some white nectarines for a pie so I passed on that, but it sounded good. This farmer's market is on Friday so I imagine he'll be picking a lot of fruit and vegetables ahead of the hurricane. His farm is in Dighton, MA in Bristol County near the RI border.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here