Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (5)

• ginny12
    13 years ago

So sad....Wouldn't you think there would be some descendant somewhere who would want to carry on the tradition?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

I saw this article yesterday. Never heard of Tuttle's, but I find it a sad story. I also don't understand the reference to the local food movement being a factor in it shutting down - if anything, the local food movement is exactly what is allowing these family farms to hang on and even revitalize. And it does seem like the family did what it needed to do to continue to be relevant, in terms of what it grows and how it sells.

I guess the good thing is that they are looking for a buyer who will continue to farm. It seems to me there is a big interest among younger people in sustainable agriculture and local foods, and hopefully they can find someone who will continue to grow on the land.

By the way, the next town over from me has a farm that is something like the 3rd or 4th oldest continuously-run, family-owned farm in the country. I think it's been around since 1639. They closed down their dairy a few years ago (but still have cows and still sell ice cream) and they sold off what seems to be a good half of the land (where, sadly, huge houses on small lots are going up) but I am hoping the family will continue to run the downsized farm, and that the renewed interest in local foods will help them continue to do so.

Gee, if I had a couple of extra millions laying around, I'd love to own a farm!

:)
    Dee

• sue36
    13 years ago

I live pretty close to Tuttles and go there regularly. I was wondering if something was going on...the last time we went there we kept driving and didn't go in because the nursery part of the operation was completely shut down (all they had was the inside stuff). They always had a good selection of plants, and for a smaller place they had some interesting selections. I bought an Incrediball Hydrangea there before I was able to find it anywhere else.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

hThere was an indepth interview with one of family. It was very moving. I won't re hash it because I hope you listen to it. But in a few words, it was on the market 40 years ago and the children in their 20's made their father take it off the market and ran it for next forty years. Until now

The daughter described it as a mid sized farm. Not small enough be efficient on a small scale, which most 'niche' farms are. Too small to achieve economies of scale.
    The equipment is old, the barn is old and everything is on the verge of needing to be replaced. A huge capital investment fora group of sibling farmers who are in their mid sixties.

The land is in trust for perpetuity. It can never be developed. It can beused for recreation or open space.

I think they have been extraordinarily devoted, tenacious
    and generous to the generations to come. Maybe after three hundred years the farm has lived out its useful existence in today's world and economy. Some wonderful things do have endings. Endings and losses often cause sadness for human beings, and we have complex not usually rational reactions to them.

• nhmom2four
    13 years ago

I also live close to Tuttles. Last year I bought a lot of plants from them (they had an excellent rose selection) but like Sue I was very surprised to see that they didn't have an outside section at all this season. They have a very nice retail building.

I grew up on a small dairy farm in Maine and I know that farming is about the most difficult business enterprise anyone can have. Since the land is in a conservation easement, I wonder what will happen with it.

Barb