Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

ONE Big Positive from This Drought

arbo_retum
13 years ago

I find it interesting how it has only JUST occurred to me that we are experiencing one HUGE plus this year at the 'retum. Slugs. Knocking on wood, tapping my head, there is hardly any evidence of them this year. In the past, beginning around end of June, the hostas begin to look worse and worse. This year, hardly any holes around. And we have them all over the place.

Now, I did do the 10% ammonia treatment 2 yrs ago, but not this season or last, so I don't think the reason could be anything but the drought. So now, when I walk around and see so many things browned and crisped, i walk over to a hosta swath and make sure I admire. Any of you having this experience w/ hosta this yr?

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Comments (9)

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Mindy,

I am making some big changes in the yard this year, some major hardscape changes. As a result, the one huge hosta I had (40+ years old 'standard' old variety) was dug up. It never did have a slug problem that I could see, but then it was so huge they could have stayed inside it. Having said that, I used to see more snails in the past few years, especially out front. Now that slope is gone, and the new xeriscape doesn't harbor any snails or slugs. It's hot, sunny and dry, and besides having planted cacti and succulents, for the most part, I have stone mulch. Those critters don't like crawling over hot, sharp stones, so that problem is solved. In the rest of the garden, with more traditional plants and mulch, there are virtually no slugs this season. I have been watering a lot, but it's still dry enough to deter them.

Bill

• mskee
    13 years ago

SECOND big plus from this drought--I haven't had to mow the lawn much!! :-D

Emily

p.s.--hostas look good, too!

• molie
    13 years ago

You're right, Mindy! My hosta plants look great this season, too. Usually I start cutting them back in mid-August because they are looking so ratty.

Molie

• sedum37
    13 years ago

I've only seen one slug this year around my hostas and didn't do anything special to ward them off.

Another positive about the drought I see patches of poison ivy that are dying. I guess something to be thankful for.

• ellen_s
    13 years ago

you're right, slugs have been noticeably absent this year, for the most part!

The other plus is that tomatoes have LOVED all this dry heat. Best tomatoes I think I have ever grown! Although I am sick of watering them, it's worth it for the great BLTs we have been eating :-)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Few if any mosquitoes or deer flies is also a big plus. I haven't seen any news stories about triple E or other mosquito borne diseases, and being outside even in the evening is bug-free. DH is definitely enjoying not mowing the lawn much as we don't water it. I do water the veggie and flower gardens, deeply about once every two weeks since we have had less than an inch of rain in the last 5 or so weeks. Like Ellen's, my tomatoes and as well as the basil are flourishing. And for the first time in several years I have been able to go swimming in the river frequently. The past several years the water has been so consistently high that swimming just wasn't safe between currents murky water, and floating debris.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

That's right Babs, I've barely noticed a mosquitoe all season! I was just saying to DH the other day, we should be out there enjoying every minute of the garden the rest of the season, because who knows what year we will find so few mosquitoes again. We just had Basil Pesto with chicken, pasta and peppers for dinner last night and there's still a ton out there.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Are the southern NE states sharing in the 2 day continuous down pour we are having here in VT. I hope so!

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

Started raining in coastal RI this morning at 8. I barely got the lawn chair cushions rescued in time. It's wonderful, feels like a day off: no watering to do!

Now it's very windy and the ocean waves are foaming and breaking as whitecaps on the beach here. The rain has stopped but it looks like we might have more soon. Great day for a nap....

Carol