Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID help?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:59

Found this in my white garden. When it was nestled among the weeds, I thought it was an echinacea. Now that I've weeded, I see that the leaves are too big, and there is a reddish tint to the stems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID help?

Second one- I see this next to someone's fence when I go to the skating rink. I love the leaf shape. And the height. It appears to have whitish flowers. Thinking it could be nice at the back of the white garden?

o

Looks like black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia) that is taking over part of our garden. Does look pretty at this time of the year when it's in bloom, though! And the finches love the seeds.

In fact, I just wrote about it "taking over." Will mention in another post.

~ Hilda

o

The second picture is of Macleaya cordata/Plume Poppy which is very aggressive. It's very pretty, though. I think the first one IS Echinacea, but I'm not 100% positive.

o

#2 is plume poppy, Macleaya cordata.

It's lovely in the right spot, but can also be a pest. I had some for a few years, but ... apparently not in a good spot for them - can't remember exactly why, but I removed them. Normally I love big, dramatic, unusual perennials, but I decided to continue to admire Macleaya in other gardens, not my own.

o
more on plume poppy

I was trying to remember what PP liked, and why I didn't keep it. and came across this interesting article about it. Short, but sweet, and it made me think about growing it again, now that my garden's more mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Silk's plume poppy appreciation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here