Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeiger

adios New England

aeiger
12 years ago

My son has been given a terminal diagnoses and We (Abi and Gary) are headed to Charlotte, NC. We hope to be there by the holidays, no later than March. I have some questions about what I can do to bring some of my favorite plants.

EGO45, you gave me a ton of hydrangeas incuding limelight, annabelle and something blue. I purchased endless summer. You also gave me a kerria and beautiful lilies. My question ... can I try to root cuttings now and keep them on my sun porch until I leave? Should I dig the lilies now?

Kerria? what about butterfly plant aclepsia. Just collect phlox seeds or try to dig some plants and let them go dormant.

We will miss you guys!!! /Abi

Comments (9)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

My sincere sympathies on what will be a challenging time in your life. I hope that the move goes smoothly and that your son remains as comfortable as possible in the circumstances.

I would dig the lilies (if they are bulbs) when they die back and then plant them in pots. If you dig them now they may not save enough food. If they are daylilies, you can cut them back and replant them in pots now.

Annabelle you can probably finda rooted stem and cut it off from the mother plant, trim it back some, and have a solid plant without having to hope for rooting; that is how I have given away pieces of my Annabelle.

I'll let someone else answer for the other plants who has more experience with propagating them.

Once the weather gets colder and you move the plants onto the sun porch, you will probably want to control temperature fluctuations there, perhaps by opening a window during the day so that it doesn't get too warm when it is in sun.

Best wishes to you all.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Abi, I'm so very sorry to hear this!

I'm not good at cuttings or advising on them, but if you need help digging anything up or cutting, shoot me an e-mail and I can come on over with my shovel and my clippers (and lots of po

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Sorry - don't know what happened to my post....

Anyway, let me know if you need help with digging, cutting, potting, etc.

We sure will miss you guys. Best wishes to your family.

Dee

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Oh, Abi, I'm so sorry.

I have no advice about the plants, other than that we've heard that hydrangea cuttings are best taken in spring so that the shoots develop enough of a root system to survive that first winter. Anything is possible, so maybe if you take cuttings now and really protect them over the winter you may have some luck.

Again, I'm terribly sorry that we're losing you on the forum, and especially sorry that your family is going through this.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

My most sincere condolences on such an unimaginable family tragedy. I have no advice to offer about moving plants, but I wish you well. So sorry...

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

I am so sad to hear the circumstances under which you have to move. Thoughts and prayers for all of you!

If you are wanting to take Phlox paniculata (tall garden phlox, blooms late summer) I would first make sure it will do well in NC. Most tall phloxes suffer from mildew, even the ones labeled "mildew resistant," and Charlotte will have plenty of humidity. I didn't see many phloxes at all when I lived in Georgia (at least I don't remember them, but I wasn't a gardener then), so it might not be your best choice. Other phloxes, like Phlox subulata, will do better there. Just wanted to throw that word in about phlox. There are many different types, but the tall garden phlox isn't a great performer in the south.

On the other hand, you'll have fun with other plants you might not be able to grow up here. Camelias always bloomed in January where I lived, and it certainly was a nice punch of color in winter! And gardenias. Heaven! Make sure you get a gardenia and put it by a window or entrance so the scent will come into the house.

Hydrangeas are a very popular plant in the south. I wouldn't be surprised if you bought a house that already had some scattered around the yard. They would most likely be older varieties.

Your asclepias will WS very well, too, so if you wanted to put out a few milk jugs after you move you could start those from seed.

Again, I'm so sorry about your son's condition. I'm glad you can move to be near him.

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Abi -

The swaps just won't be the same without you. . .but I am so very sorry about
    the reason you'll be missing. And rather than leave the NE Forum behind,
    you could become a Yankee-in-Exile, like me, and maintain that New England
    connection.

All the best,

Carl

• casey1gw
    12 years ago

Abi, I'm so sorry. I can also dig whenever you need it.

The kerria sends up new plants from its roots. You can dig it up or I should have one. If you have enough time, you can layer the hydrangeas.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    12 years ago

Oh Abi, I'm so sorry to hear your news!! We will all miss you and Gary so much (so will all the little CT kitties who have been the lucky beneficiaries of your loving and caring...) and we will be thinking of you and your son.

I don't have any plant advice -- except my general observation that it is remarkable how tough many of these plants are, and that just plopping a division into a pot and forgetting you have it until spring seems to work a remarkable amount of the time.

But my REAL advice is to treasure every minute of every day you all have together. Life is all too short all too much of the time. Don't miss a minute of love (sounds as if you know that already...)

/ Marty

(But how on EARTH will we know when it's time to begin organizing our swaps??! You always started the ball rolling for us. :(