Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Squash - I mean sharks - off Cape Cod and South Coast MA-RI

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

As I watch the TV news showing those Great White Sharks swimming near the wonderful beaches of the Cape - and yesterday, sighted off Horseneck Beach in Westport MA! - too close! - I get an image of one of the overabundant zucchinis from my garden, but with a dorsal fin. Same shape, same sense of "oh no!" and threatening Jaws music. At this point in my gardening summer, I begin to hope for squash borers. :)

Carol

Comments (10)

• molie
    13 years ago

Ha! I know what you mean. In June I planted a few pumpkin seeds with my grandson and thought, well.... maybe they'll survive. We now have two enormous vines that are taking over my garden ... one of them is 10 ft by about 20 ft with several pumpkins, already at 12 inches.

Grandpa is retired and loves to cook. He said he's going to need a little roadside stand in October or more pie tins.

Molie

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Thanks for the giggle. I don't grow squash, my wee bit of sun is reserved for tomatoes and herbs. This weekend I went to the local farm stand and literally burst out laughing at the sight of an enormous stack of giant zucchini, advertised as for stuffing (or maybe fence posts).

I just paid $2.50/pound for small ones at the chichi farmers market, so the big ones might bring a fortune!

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

$2.50 a pound?!! This time of year, in gardening neighborhoods, the rule is to always lock your car and roll up your windows or else you might find zucchini inside when you return!

Carol

• jey_l
    13 years ago

"This time of year, in gardening neighborhoods, the rule is to always lock your car and roll up your windows or else you might find zucchini inside when you return!"

Ain't that the truth. Somehow it always finds it's way to your kitchen anyway.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Funny image, Carol! Thanks for the smile!

:)
    Dee

• karencon
    13 years ago

Carol, given that I live right on the bay, I would prefer the giant squash. The ideas of sharks so close is really scary. As far as my zucchini go, I only have one plant left.... the one with the successful surgery. You don't have problems with the SVB? I get them every year. This year I even waited until late June, and planted two on the deck in a pot. Some seedling volunteers are coming up now in the pot. Do you think if I throw the sharks some zucchini they'll leave and go away?

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Well, you've heard the addage: In New England, people keep their car windows up and their doors locked because if they don't, it'll be filled with zucchini when they get back.
    Go find an unsuspecting vacationer with an out-of-state plate ;)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I love that image of a Great Green Zhark cruising through the garden beds....

Can you dry zucchini like gourds? Coat with a little marine varnish and you've got a nice border edging material.

Claire

• sequoia54
    13 years ago

Anybody tuning in to "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel this week? National Geographic is counter-programming with some shark specials of its own--all very interesting. I am too chicken about rip currents and the like to swim out beyond the breakers, and great whites don't come up onto the beaches:-). I was surprised to learn that they are much commoner (and the incidence of shark/human "interaction is much higher) off the coast of Northern California. Our big shark scare here wouldn't get a bit of attention there, I'll bet.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Claire, I'm working on genetically engineering zucchini to grow dorsal fins. And at Woods Hole, they're trying to produce green sharks with stripes.

Carol