Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer display of Lobelia, Phlox and Daylilies

Posted by tmc2009 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 13:06

I purchased a collection of flowers from the Audubon Workshop that were suppose to attract flowers but have found that the best one for attracting them is the Jacob Cline Monarda bee balm. The others look nice though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobelia, Phlox and Daylily display

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer display of Lobelia, Phlox and Daylilies

the lobelia is a beautiful color!

o

What's the magenta-red flower in the front, slightly left of center? That's gorgeous, love the color and the flower shape.

o

Are the deep red flowers, the lobelia? Such beautiful flowers! I love all the colors!
I enjoyed your video too. Just lovely blooms, however my experience is the same as yours... the monarda is the clear "go to" flower favored by all the pollinators!

o

flowers from the Audubon Workshop that were suppose to attract flowers

Did you mean pollinators? Bees? Hummingbirds? They are pretty flowers, not sure what you're trying to attract...

o

I'm thinking the tall red is Lobelia x speciosa. This is from some random web site, about 'Red Ruby' :
A succession of strong spikes of vibrant, crimson-red, tubular, two-lipped flowers attract bees and butterflies from June until September. This plant is the result of many historic complex crosses, and many growers regard it as the best tall, red-flowering lobelia to grow in the garden.

Sounds as good as it looks!

o

The red is the Lobelia and this is the Phlox

o

I meant to say attract hummingbirds. What happened to the Audubon Workshop anyway? They use to sell a collection of plants for attracting hummingbirds.

o

In my gardens, the hummers nectar on many different plants, but the top 3 plants are

- Lobelia cardinalis (the regular cardinal red species)
- Monarda didyma - both red and 'Raspberry Wine'
- Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue'.

When these 3 are blooming I am guaranteed to get regular visits from the hummers multiple times through the day. Often there are 2 and sometimes 3 hummingbirds fighting over these flowers.

They also like the tall Zinnias, all Salvias, Buddleia, Tithonia, Silphium perfoliatum, Hostas, Columbine, assorted annuals vines, and many other plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here