Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helianthemum dying!

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 13:12

Has anyone had any experience with Helianthemum? I bought two for the new rock (boulder) garden. One is "Wisley Pink" and the other is "Dazzler" (Red). Both bloomed great earlier this season (in late spring) and have grown considerably. Suddenly, in the past few days, the red one has all but dried up! The pink is just fine and thriving. There were no signs or no warning at all, no insects or anything else that explains it. Any ideas as to what happened are welcome. All other plants in the same area a fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helianthemum dying!

Could the drought be affecting it? They are a very drought-tolerant plant, but only once established. Sounds like you planted it this year.

o

I did plant it this spring, but along with all the other things in the new rock garden, including the other Helianthemum "Wisley Pink". I also have been watering the whole area very well throughout the season and everything else is fine. That's what's baffling. I gave it a good push into the soil yesterday to be sure to re-establish good root contact and gave it a diluted feeding and another good watering. Today it's been raining a lot too. We'll see how it goes.

o

Maybe try a transplant solution or rooting stimulator. It's possible the roots hadn't made good contact.

o

Do you have voles? Mine have been quite active this summer. :(
Almost every plant I have seen starting to look a bit droopy, when I pushed on the soil around it, it was clear they had been tunneling in the root area. So I have done quite a bit of stomping areas of garden and then watering things back in. (I think I need a cat . . . )

o

I've never seen voles, nor have any other plants been having any problems. I do think it's possible that the soil has settled down between the large boulders, and maybe has washed away from under the plant a bit. This was a huge project and the boulders are big - 3 to 4 feet or so - and they had fill behind them so it very easily could have settled some. There used to be a bank there going from the upper garden grade down to the lawn and house level, but I had that dug back and now two tiers of boulders make the grade change more interesting, as well as giving me lots of areas to plant creeping and trailing plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here